E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Heavy vibration when wheel off-center at speed?

08-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
daMau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Heavy vibration when wheel off-center at speed?

Recently sold my 135i and picked up a 2007 335i w/ 48k on the odo.

I am feeling a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above ~60mph, which becomes very heavy when the wheel is slightly off-center to the left. It goes away when turned to the right or when turned far to the left.

Any thoughts on this? The seller is replacing the left tie-rod, which he mentioned was going bad when I purchased the car due to a clunking noise when the wheel is turned, but I am not certain if that is also contributing to this problem.

Thoughts? I have a jack and stands to troubleshoot if anyone can offer advise, but I know little about steering/suspension related issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMau1986 View Post
Recently sold my 135i and picked up a 2007 335i w/ 48k on the odo.

I am feeling a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above ~60mph, which becomes very heavy when the wheel is slightly off-center to the left. It goes away when turned to the right or when turned far to the left.

Any thoughts on this? The seller is replacing the left tie-rod, which he mentioned was going bad when I purchased the car due to a clunking noise when the wheel is turned, but I am not certain if that is also contributing to this problem.

Thoughts? I have a jack and stands to troubleshoot if anyone can offer advise, but I know little about steering/suspension related issues.
Bad tie rod @ 48k mi? There's more than meets the eye....beware....very often the used car buyer has purchased the seller's problems.
Appreciate 0