2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums ASIA Cause a little traffic accident

08-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Cause a little traffic accident

So I was driving home tonight and stopped at the light, SL in front, Cayenne and Taxi in outside lane. Two lanes merge gently, I follow the SL closely revving a bit due to itchy , come up to zebra crossing, I see someone on other side entering crossing, not even to the middle of the other side lane, the SL suddenly brakes and stops! What is this? A driver with western-style driving etiquette? Unique. Or bad luck. So i brake, not close because i am aware. I see the Cayenne brake closely behind me, ok no big deal.. then bang! S%#$ - the taxi must have rearend the Cayenne. Then I am thinking, what the hell, is this SL a dick, or does he have manners (very rare, unfortunate judgement on HK drivers.. maybe I am wrong in this case)
I feel a bit guilty or have indirectly cause this chain of events. Maybe my little rev (not loud, just 4-5k rpm all stock.. (but N52)) spook some of the people, was the SL being a dick, or was he spooked? Was the Cayenne spooked or annoyed I edged him/her out in the little merge? Or was the Taxi driver spooked or something else, he was sleeping/staring up the passengers mini-skirt? ()
Anyway, I feel really bad pulling away, I think should I pull over, but then with the quality of HK ppl I think I will just get myself in unnecessary trouble, the Cayenne driver prob lives in my block, the SL does.. he did not seem to have any reaction to the loud bang and just drove on, I followed him.
I see that color Cayenne on my floor b4, woman driver most time with a little girl, I feel so bad if it is them.. but then if its the dad I don't care as much ().
Anyways, just thought I would share this not so funny incident.. drive responsibly unlike me.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Indeed very responsible, you should have bump into the SL back and let the Cayenne bump your rear in addition of the taxi bumping hers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

So glad he held the brakes and not roll into me..
Maybe if I am in bad mood I would wait to get bumped and then accidently step on the accelerator and ram the SL into the wall until it is totalled.. that would be good payback
But I was so scared driving today always looking in the reverse to see if any taxi is going to ram me
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Sound proofing of SL really that bad and can hear you revving your engine?

Haha....MB sucks!
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

No idea, just guessing .. it was a SL65 with lots of torque from stop but I couldn't hear it.. now I can imagine what those e60 M5 v10s feel like, everyone thinks you are challenging them when its revs .. quite different from exhaust noise, which you can hear from a mile away, revs like silent until you hit it then it feels like an invasion
But I am scared to drive agressive anymore these few days, seems everyone is tense maybe cause its too hot.. supercareful not to cause any(more) accident
I hate those old ladies with sunglasses driving E/coupes going the wrong way in parking lots and not realizing it
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
No idea, just guessing .. it was a SL65 with lots of torque from stop but I couldn't hear it.. now I can imagine what those e60 M5 v10s feel like, everyone thinks you are challenging them when its revs .. quite different from exhaust noise, which you can hear from a mile away, revs like silent until you hit it then it feels like an invasion
But I am scared to drive agressive anymore these few days, seems everyone is tense maybe cause its too hot.. supercareful not to cause any(more) accident
I hate those old ladies with sunglasses driving E/coupes going the wrong way in parking lots and not realizing it
Typical MB drivers in Hong Kong. Don't know how to drive, no respect of other road user and choose their car because is a status symbol or my friend have one of those and I need one.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
AT98
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 528 F10

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that accident.

Did you claim the car which hit you or all settled?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by at View Post
I am sorry to hear that accident.

Did you claim the car which hit you or all settled?
Didn't think anyone hit the OP. Just the car behind him got into an accident.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_S5 View Post
Didn't think anyone hit the OP. Just the car behind him got into an accident.
Yup. Hope I don't run into the person who got creamed in the lift or anything ..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

100% fault of the taxi driver. No sympathy for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Taxi driver around the world drive like shit. They are either too slow or too fast. Nothing in between.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
100% fault of the taxi driver. No sympathy for them.
I wonder how insurance for that works, is he broke now and going to rob a bank etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Taxi driver around the world drive like shit. They are either too slow or too fast. Nothing in between.
I tried this experiment, drive slow and they will try to impatiently overtake you, drive fast and they get out of the way. There is this maniac green minibus driver that honks his horn in rage everytime he passes by the gate where i live, because presumbly the guards don't let people in fast enough and cause a jam.. but seriously, i wish there was something i do to that idiot, once he was behind me, i was turning in and one car in front of me, no delay, and he still honk! .. what is his problem! I don't care if I can't hear it from upstairs, but i can.. and it is damn annoying!.. like a mental patient has a licence to drive.. help me think of a way to get this guy
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wonder how insurance for that works, is he broke now and going to rob a bank etc.
You are at fault no matter what if you hit someone from behind.

The Taxi guy can either pay for the damage himself $$$$ or claim third party insurance to pay for damage to the other cars. For his own damage, I think taxi company have full insurance on their cars, if not then maybe he need to rob a bank

Quote:
I tried this experiment, drive slow and they will try to impatiently overtake you, drive fast and they get out of the way. There is this maniac green minibus driver that honks his horn in rage everytime he passes by the gate where i live, because presumbly the guards don't let people in fast enough and cause a jam.. but seriously, i wish there was something i do to that idiot, once he was behind me, i was turning in and one car in front of me, no delay, and he still honk! .. what is his problem! I don't care if I can't hear it from upstairs, but i can.. and it is damn annoying!.. like a mental patient has a licence to drive.. help me think of a way to get this guy
Try slamming on the brakes real hard and when he's about to hit speed up again. I bet he wouldn't honk after that stint.

Always do that to people that tailgates me for no reason (ie. when I am already over the speed limit or honk at me when I am on the left lane going at a slower speed)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are 2 options, either a.) fork out the other party's damage himself, or b.) claim insurance. If damage is light then a.) is a much better option, cos b.) will involve the police & insurance will only pay out once the court has ruled which party is at fault.
Unless u're 100% without fault & damage is severe, it is best to settle the matter privately between parties cos quite frequently the police cannot do a good job in investigating these matters. There may be a chance of u going to court charged with careless driving (i.e. fine & 5 pts) even tho u're not at fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
There are 2 options, either a.) fork out the other party's damage himself, or b.) claim insurance. If damage is light then a.) is a much better option, cos b.) will involve the police & insurance will only pay out once the court has ruled which party is at fault.
Unless u're 100% without fault & damage is severe, it is best to settle the matter privately between parties cos quite frequently the police cannot do a good job in investigating these matters. There may be a chance of u going to court charged with careless driving (i.e. fine & 5 pts) even tho u're not at fault.
I mean how does the insurance work for taxi driver if he is renting the taxi? Is there taxi driver insurance? Or is it only required of the taxi itself, so the owner is responsible. Then how do the owner and the driver/renter settle it?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You are at fault no matter what if you hit someone from behind.
My dad gave a BS explanation once when he rammed someone lightly in traffic, like he observed the car behind was following closely so wanted to give it more room, to avoid a careless driving charge

Quote:
Try slamming on the brakes real hard and when he's about to hit speed up again. I bet he wouldn't honk after that stint.

Always do that to people that tailgates me for no reason (ie. when I am already over the speed limit or honk at me when I am on the left lane going at a slower speed)
I have never actually done that except maybe on highway in younger road-raging days.
Mainly because I keep thinking they will actually ram me, unless they too are road-raging in which case I don't think they will ram me, don't know why
Maybe because I feel if I am actually mad enough myself I would do it, ram the guy, which is why I don't want to mess with these obvious insane guys
Or I should get a nice pre-scraper car for 8k and do it to someone I really dislike.. or maybe not.. breathe .. think of Jesus.
The best 'ideas' I have got are throwing an egg, just stopping for no reason (can't overtake, double white line) but the honks will be noisey so no, i need something more devious that can avoid all responsibility and liability and keep me out of harm's way. Perhaps this is too devilish just think it is enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #18
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My dad gave a BS explanation once when he rammed someone lightly in traffic, like he observed the car behind was following closely so wanted to give it more room, to avoid a careless driving charge
So what's the end result?

Quote:
I have never actually done that except maybe on highway in younger road-raging days.
Mainly because I keep thinking they will actually ram me, unless they too are road-raging in which case I don't think they will ram me, don't know why
Maybe because I feel if I am actually mad enough myself I would do it, ram the guy, which is why I don't want to mess with these obvious insane guys
Or I should get a nice pre-scraper car for 8k and do it to someone I really dislike.. or maybe not.. breathe .. think of Jesus.
The best 'ideas' I have got are throwing an egg, just stopping for no reason (can't overtake, double white line) but the honks will be noisey so no, i need something more devious that can avoid all responsibility and liability and keep me out of harm's way. Perhaps this is too devilish just think it is enough.
I think you should ask those district councilor to write to the government and put up a no honking sign there, you voted for them to do shit like these for you, make them work for you
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So what's the end result?
Nothing I think..

But my cousin who is a young male drivers like an a$$ receive police notices about complaints of his driving in the middle of the night in sai kung.. he must really drive like a dick or he has pissed off many people.

Quote:
I think you should ask those district councilor to write to the government and put up a no honking sign there, you voted for them to do shit like these for you, make them work for you
Sounds like a lot of work.. and It's already a school district.. seriously, maybe wait for him to die himself.. he must have many enermies with his style
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nothing I think..

But my cousin who is a young male drivers like an a$$ receive police notices about complaints of his driving in the middle of the night in sai kung.. he must really drive like a dick or he has pissed off many people.
For those police notice, it only take one guy to file a complaint to the police to receive those. But they can't prove anything so that police notice is only an action by the police to response to the public.

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work.. and It's already a school district.. seriously, maybe wait for him to die himself.. he must have many enermies with his style
Lot of work? I don't think so, just email your district councilor everyday. I mean you are checking the forum quite often already right? Is for the benefit of the society. If you think he will die himself, well these are the people that live the longest because they have a way to release their stress on other people.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lot of work? I don't think so, just email your district councilor everyday. I mean you are checking the forum quite often already right? Is for the benefit of the society. If you think he will die himself, well these are the people that live the longest because they have a way to release their stress on other people.
This is not good news. Which reminds me of the ah-bak who makes a rucus in the park doing morning exercises and probably wakes up thousands of people.. when will he die?
One good thing about crazy people is that they will kill each other off, hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I mean how does the insurance work for taxi driver if he is renting the taxi? Is there taxi driver insurance? Or is it only required of the taxi itself, so the owner is responsible. Then how do the owner and the driver/renter settle it?
Insurance should already be included in the rental paid to the owner.
Appreciate 0