2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes New Wheel suggestions

08-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

New Wheel suggestions

After months of frustration in not being able to fix a slight vibration at highway speeds (70mph), I am returning my tire and wheels setup tomorrow to Discount Tire. A little background, I bought a set of Avant Guard M310 wheels, sized 19x8.5 in front and 19x9.5 in back, along with a set of Continental DWS tires. The car had a slight vibration that never was cured even though the tires were Road Forced balanced several times at Discount Tire. I took the car to 2 other automotive shops and had the tires Road Force balanced without curing the problem either. Finally Discount Tires thought the problem was caused by the Continental's aggressive tread pattern and recommended a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They gave me full credit on the Continentals toward the Michelins and we ordered a set. The Michelins didn't do the trick. So what was the next suggestion? They now thought the problem was that I was trying to run Non Flats on a car that was designed for Run Flats. As an engineer, I didn't buy this theory and believe the problem is related to the hub bore on the Avant Guards measures 72.8mm compared with the OEMs at 72.56mm. Discount Tires now has offered to refund all of my money and let me go back to my stock setup. I think that is what I am going to do.

Anyway, I may try a different set of wheels and would currently lean toward Forgestars even though they would require the use of hub rings. I don't want to go any more expensive than the Forgestars but does anyone have other suggestions. I probably will stay with 19s even though 20s are about the same price (more for wheels, less on the tires) since my car isn't lowered and thought the 20s shorter tire profile might not look right.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
TF_F10-520d
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 Xdrive45e Msport

Your not the only one experiencing this. Are there no vibration at all using stock tyres?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=609567

I have 18" runflats on mine Continental Conti sport contact 3 SSR 245/45 front and 275/40 rear.
i feel a slight vibration too in about between 110km/h-120km/h nothing under 110 or over 120

Due to changing to 20 inch BBS CH-R 20" im going for Micheling PSS but dont know if this will resolve this matter. I'll keep you posted when i get the BBS on the car.

BMW G05 X5 Xdrive45e M-sport - Air Suspension - Sport automatic - 741M 21" wheels | 275/40-R21 | 315/35-R21 | Nokian Hakkapelliita 9 | Sapphire Black | B&W Diamond Surround Sound | Comfort Seats | Merino Leather | Extended Shadow Line

Last edited by TF_F10-520d; 08-04-2012 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

I have put on my stock wheels and runflats and the car is smoother than it ever was with the Avant Guards with either the Continentals or the Michelins. I am pretty sure the wheels center bore was out of spec or the wheels had excessive run out. Not sure Discount Tire even has the means to measure this.

Anyway, now I need to decide on new wheels. I know the Forgestars require hubrings and take 6 weeks or so for delivery. I know the hubrings cause a lot of people issues, and it is one other potential problem whenever a tech removes a wheel.

So come on guys, give me some suggestions.
Appreciate 0