F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Maddening experience with BMW
GetBMWParts

07-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

Maddening experience with BMW

Color me frustrated. I ordered a 13 X Sport M Sport from local BMW dealer on 6/22. (My CA was entirely unaware of the M Sport line, and needed some encouragement before finding the option codes in his system) I had production number, and anxiously tracked package on BMWUSA. Much to my surprise, the vehicle entered production the first week of July. So far, so good!
CA called me on 7/7, and asked whether I had intended to include xenon package on my 328 order. I hadn't, but told CA I was willing to add it if it wouldn't screw up my order. He said he'd check and get back to me. I never heard anything back, and continued to track my vehicle's status online.
July 10, my production is complete, and I call CA for VIN. CA informs me car has not entered production, so no VIN assigned. I point out that BMWUSA is saying that my car is out of production. Not receiving any good response, I visit my dealership to straighten out the confusion.
After 30 minutes of discussion and research, CA informs me that they ordered a completely new vehicle for me after the conversation re: adding Xenon package. The original production order # was for my original car, which the dealer will keep as a demo. Meanwhile, I received a new production order number (2 weeks ago), which still isn't even slated for production. I called the 800 BMW # and inquired, and was informed that it would likely be another month or more before my car entered production. So while my original car now sails for the Panama Canal and beyond, the car I will actually receive is likely still many months away from arriving. I assume the delay is due to the fact that my dealer had allocation for the original car, they don't for my "new" option package.
Very frustrating experience! At this point, I'm a little bummed I didn't hold out for the November builds with updated Nav system, as it will likely be Nov before I see my car (I'm in Alaska, it takes a long time for the car to travel halfway across the globe). Fortunately, I'm leasing, so will have all the latest goodies in 3 years.
No real question, I suppose; I just needed to vent my frustration.

Car on order:
328 X Drive
M Sport
Glacier Silver/Black Dakota
All Season tires
Cold Weather
Premium
Sport AT
Tech Package

Hoping it will be worth the wait. I'm consoling myself by planning ED for my next lease, which should be timed well for Oktoberfest 2015.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As the dealer has messed up, can't you take the original car when it arrives, minus the 'added' xenons, which you hadn't opted for at first order. Or is that now not acceptable... you must have xenons.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I could probably go that route, although I've managed to convince myself that I'd be a better person with Xenons, people would like me more with Xenons, I'd like me more, etc.

And despite my bitching, the delayed delivery will dovetail quite nicely with an ED in 3 years. Oktoberfest! Ein Prosit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As the dealer has messed up, can't you take the original car when it arrives, minus the 'added' xenons, which you hadn't opted for at first order. Or is that now not acceptable... you must have xenons.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
I could probably go that route, although I've managed to convince myself that I'd be a better person with Xenons, people would like me more with Xenons, I'd like me more, etc.

And despite my bitching, the delayed delivery will dovetail quite nicely with an ED in 3 years. Oktoberfest! Ein Prosit!
      08-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Demand the one that shows up sooner, play hardball if you have to.

Start off my telling everyone here the dealer name and address, and let the the dealer know you did so. Tell them you have a few thousand people watching this, deciding where they will buy their BMW from.

So if the dealer screws you, everyone on here knows it and they will as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr

Start off my telling everyone here the dealer name and address, and let the the dealer know you did so. Tell them you have a few thousand people watching this, deciding where they will buy their BMW from.

+1
      08-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, my dealership is the only dealership in town. And the next town. And the next. In fact, I'm pretty sure the next dealership is a ~1500 mile drive down the Alaska/Canada Highway, so threatening to go to a different BMW dealership isn't a viable tactic. I suppose I could bitch that my next car will be an S4 unless they start acting as though they value my business, but I'm not sure that is anything more than an empty threat. The new 3 series is ideal for me!

I'm giving some thought to demanding the "original" car I ordered, as it is probably midway on its journey from Germany to Alaska, and my "new" car isn't even a glimmer in the production line's eye at this point.

Truth be told, I immediately regretted not getting the Xenon package, and I was thrilled to be able to add it. Of course, the dealer didn't make clear that this would involve a significant (months?) delay in delivery, which is inexcusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, my dealership is the only dealership in town. And the next town. And the next. In fact, I'm pretty sure the next dealership is a ~1500 mile drive down the Alaska/Canada Highway, so threatening to go to a different BMW dealership isn't a viable tactic. I suppose I could bitch that my next car will be an S4 unless they start acting as though they value my business, but I'm not sure that is anything more than an empty threat. The new 3 series is ideal for me!

I'm giving some thought to demanding the "original" car I ordered, as it is probably midway on its journey from Germany to Alaska, and my "new" car isn't even a glimmer in the production line's eye at this point.

Truth be told, I immediately regretted not getting the Xenon package, and I was thrilled to be able to add it. Of course, the dealer didn't make clear that this would involve a significant (months?) delay in delivery, which is inexcusable.
You know what?

Just wait. Its better that you dont regret it later on...xenons are quite IMPORTANT in my eyes...patience my friend...
      08-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:

No you dont fully understand the tactic, its not your sale they are potentially losing, its the hundreds of sales from other people reading this thread would cost them.

First thing you would want to do is re-name your thread starting with the name of the dealership. That way anyone typing that dealer name into google sees this thread. Since this is a BMW site, it will likely show up on the first page of results. Show that to the dealer, explain to him that he will have a very bad advertisement for his dealership if you are not treated fairly.

That car is yours, you should not have to wait several more months. The dealer screwed up and should give you the Xenons for free IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That is precisely what I remind myself when I start getting worked up; I'm getting the car I want, and bear some responsibility for not ordering properly the first time around!

The xenons are really cool, and add so little to the monthly cost of a lease that it should have been a no-brainer when I placed my order.

Plus, my next BMW lease will put me in Germany during Oktoberfest! I figure new car arrives mid-October, 2012. Lease will be up mid-october 2015. I estimate 4-6 weeks travel from Europe to AK, so will schedule ED for September, 2015. Drive the car for 2 weeks there, return to AK, and spend the last month of my "old" lease waiting for new car to arrive.

Everything happens for a reason, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
You know what?

Just wait. Its better that you dont regret it later on...xenons are quite IMPORTANT in my eyes...patience my friend...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That is precisely what I remind myself when I start getting worked up; I'm getting the car I want, and bear some responsibility for not ordering properly the first time around!

The xenons are really cool, and add so little to the monthly cost of a lease that it should have been a no-brainer when I placed my order.

Plus, my next BMW lease will put me in Germany during Oktoberfest! I figure new car arrives mid-October, 2012. Lease will be up mid-october 2015. I estimate 4-6 weeks travel from Europe to AK, so will schedule ED for September, 2015. Drive the car for 2 weeks there, return to AK, and spend the last month of my "old" lease waiting for new car to arrive.

Everything happens for a reason, right?
Very well said man! Excellent decision, you're not going to regret it!

Good luck and cant wait for pics!
      08-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You are right; I didn't understand the tactic. In my locale, however, "hundreds" of potentially lost sales might be a stretch. Probably more like "a few" or perhaps "tens" of potential sales. Not a lot of BMWs here; we love us some Audis and Subarus in AK. Not that this isn't still an incentive to the dealer; every lost sale is lost profit, and given the stability of their inventory, I'd wager that each lost sale would hurt. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
No you dont fully understand the tactic, its not your sale they are potentially losing, its the hundreds of sales from other people reading this thread would cost them.

First thing you would want to do is re-name your thread starting with the name of the dealership. That way anyone typing that dealer name into google sees this thread. Since this is a BMW site, it will likely show up on the first page of results. Show that to the dealer, explain to him that he will have a very bad advertisement for his dealership if you are not treated fairly.

That car is yours, you should not have to wait several more months. The dealer screwed up and should give you the Xenons for free IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Problem solved: My 328 M Sport X-Drive just entered production! Estimated completion on 8/9.

So this snafu only cost me a month (I hope!), and I'm getting the options I wanted. Hooray for second chances!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
My 328 M Sport X-Drive just entered production! Estimated completion on 8/9.

So this snafu only cost me a month (I hope!), and I'm getting the options I wanted. Hooray for second chances!
Quote:
Everything happens for a reason

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Nice to see a reasonable buyer every once in a while where everything isn't the dealer's fault.

Glad to hear production has started. You're on the line with me. EOP August 6.
Appreciate 0