E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Assymetric tread versus Directional

07-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Assymetric tread versus Directional

I wanted to gauge what you guys are running on your cars. Assymetric tread or Directional.

My car is lowered with H&R Sport's. The original runflats on the rear did not even last 15K. Main reason is the inside edge wears so quick, especially when the rear of the car is already lowered. The motion of the rear when it "hunches" down under power is exaggerated. As the rear lowers under power, the camber angle becomes more negative.

I decided to go directional after that in the form of Dunlop Direzza DZ101's, 275/30/19. One of the advantages of the directional pattern is that if you start to get uneven wear you can flip the tyre on the rim, now placing the inside edge on the outside thereby extending the life of the tyre. I have had about 6 wheel alignments so far and the car tracks perfectly. Alignment is as per BMW spec. Not modified. The fronts are at about 60%, but the rears are on the tread indicator with a little wear on the inside edge.

I would say I was able to get 30K out of the rears due to the above regime of regular wheel alignments and flipping the tyres on the rim. If I was to go assymetric, I would almost have to bin the tyres at the first sight of inside edge wear just due to the fact that you can't flip the tyre on the rim. Once a tyre starts to wear unevenly, even more so with an assymetric tyre, there is nothing that I am aware of that will correct it.

So my question is to those with lowered suspension and running assymetric tyres, do you suffer uneven tyre wear, especially on the rear and if you do what do you do to counter it?
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |

Last edited by 335i-boy; 07-29-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Yes I get uneven tyre wear on the back - comes with driving a performance car.

If you have directional tyres, you can always get the tyres flipped.... take them off the rim and remounted on the other side to maximise life. It'll cost ~$40-60 at a tyre shop.

Would I intentionally choose an asymmetric tyre to prolong tyre life? No, I want the best performance rubber I can get... which means directional.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #3
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
I wanted to gauge what you guys are running on your cars. Assymetric tread or Directional

So my question is to those with lowered suspension and running assymetric tyres, do you suffer uneven tyre wear, especially on the rear and if you do what do you do to counter it?
i don't get it... my car has its original tyres... just about to hit 70K backs just need replacing now... WTF do you guys do to your tyres?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-boy View Post
I wanted to gauge what you guys are running on your cars. Assymetric tread or Directional

i don't get it... my car has its original tyres... just about to hit 70K backs just need replacing now... WTF do you guys do to your tyres?
I'll give you a hint
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
Holy crap your original rear has lasted 70,000km !??!?!?

very very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Holy crap your original rear has lasted 70,000km !??!?!?

very very impressive.
i do but the backs are worn on inside edges now... i do have to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Thanks gents (well.. I am assuming gents) for your responses.

BMJ, 70K on the rear of a 335i. Frig me!! I am pretty sure you are tuned, right??

Thanks bmroxm5. I have been flipping tyres, among other things, for ages . Its the only way I know to extend tyre life.
You don't see OEM directional tyres fitted to cars these days. When it comes to choosing some good tyres, it seems the consensus is:

- Continental Extreme Contact DW
- Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- Yokohama ADVAN Sport
- Pirelli P-Zero

These are all Assymetric. May just be a trend . I must be missing something here. I was pretty happy with the way the Dunlop Direzza DZ101's performed..
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

my current set of neovas lasted just under 20,000kms, pretty impressed by that!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Are the stock camber arms dialled out of range to achieve flat road contact?
Appreciate 0