2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Got rid of the Goodyear LS2's!!!! Toyo Proxes4 Plus

07-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Got rid of the Goodyear LS2's!!!! Toyo Proxes4 Plus

I love my BMW but their choice of Goodyear LS2 Run-Flat tires was horrible. This tire's sidewall is terrible and will bubble-up upon hitting the smallest road imperfection! After visiting the dealership a few times to replace damaged Goodyear LS2's, I decided to search for a replacement UHPAS tire that has better rim/sidewall protection.

Back in my Audi days I was a huge fan of Toyo Tires as an all-season alternative for my RS4 so I decided to check on if a product were available for my 550xi. Toyo just released a new tire called the Proxes4+ which fits the bill. (XL Load Rating, W/Y Speed Rating) I used to run Proxes4's on my RS4, and I was quite pleased with their performance in the rain and in light snow when compared to Michelin Sport Pilot A/S. The new Proxes4+ provides better wear and better braking in snow so I decided to give them a shot.

I've put about 1200 miles on the set so far and I'm glad I made the switch to a High Performance All-Season tire on a Sports Sedan!! If you're looking for a replacement set for your 5 series, please consider this tire. You will not be sorry, and you drive your BMW the way it's supposed to driven.

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

So you are driving without a spare tire?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
INNNout
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 550i MSport

Mine came standard from the factory with Michelin Primacy HP. It's a summer tire so I have to shop for some winter tires soon. I'm glad BMW doesn't ship with GY Excellence anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
bobr2001
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F11

well, i've had toyos before and they were a disaster. developed sawtooth after 12k miles and made extremely loud running noise. i would either get the michelins or bridgestones
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
No, I have a spare 351M wheel on a Goodyear LS2 in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobr2001 View Post
well, i've had toyos before and they were a disaster. developed sawtooth after 12k miles and made extremely loud running noise. i would either get the michelins or bridgestones
Yes, the 1st set of Proxes4's I ran on a 2003 W8 had the same issue. My vendor had to shave my tire to remove the inner flaking! which addressed the issue! Toyo changed the compound 2 years later and this issue was completely resolved. When it was time to replace the factory Continentals on my 2007 RS4 they recommended the Proxes4's and he was dead on right that the flaking issue was resolved!.

Now the Proxes4Plus are a brand new tire, so it's worth giving them a shot! Even Goodyear has changed their compound for the LS2 which has a slightly stronger sidewall than the Generation 1 tire, but I wanted a UHPAS tire.

Last edited by TheGr8Swami; 07-27-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Guilty. I replaced my Goodyear Excellence RFT's at 14k miles with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and the ride and performance is 10x better. If i get a flat, I'll just call Roadside Assistance, same as I would if the engine malfunctioned, as I don't have a spare one of those in my trunk either.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I ran Toyos on my RS4, too. But decided to go Michelin PSS for my past 3 cars. They out-handle the Proxes4 in my opinion.

But I did put a set of the Proxes4 Plus on our second car, and I agree they are great.
      07-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
I ran Toyos on my RS4, too. But decided to go Michelin PSS for my past 3 cars. They out-handle the Proxes4 in my opinion.

But I did put a set of the Proxes4 Plus on our second car, and I agree they are great.
Yes, the Pilot Super Sports are amazing Summer Tires but in the snow they are useless! Wow, another Audi convert. My wife will get a kick out of that. The Audi was my daily driver, and I just couldn't find a set of Winter wheels for a set of snows I really liked. Since my 550xi is the new daily driver the Proxes4+ was a great compromise between dry and winter performance.
You just can't compare a touring tire with a high performance all season tire! We are driving SPORTS sedans, right?? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Quote:
Guilty. I replaced my Goodyear Excellence RFT's at 14k miles with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and the ride and performance is 10x better. If i get a flat, I'll just call Roadside Assistance, same as I would if the engine malfunctioned, as I don't have a spare one of those in my trunk either.
I almost went that route as well, but I found a used 351M with some curb rash that I sent to get repaired. Ye Ole Wheel & Welding did an excellent job, and I just threw one of my old LS2's on the fresh wheel.

Last edited by TheGr8Swami; 07-30-2012 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I'd have to say the Proxes4 sucked for me in terms of noise and a drone when driving slowly.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
I'd have to say the Proxes4 sucked for me in terms of noise and a drone when driving slowly.

Yes, that was the old compound Proxes 4's. Since then Toyo has changed the compound for the 4's and two years later developed a completely new tire.

I remember when the Michelin Sport Pilots had sidewall issues which gave Corvette owners fits. Since then Michelin changed the compound and now they are the benchmark for High Performance tires.

You let me know when an All-Season High Performance tire with an XL load rating is available for our 5 series and I'll be sure to give them a shot. :-)