E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What do you think - worth a punt ?

07-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
2funky4u
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Coupe

What do you think - worth a punt ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/2?logcode=p

Seen this car in AT today and wondered what your expert opinions were?

Looking to Part Ex for my CLK 320.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Looks nice, are you selling it?

If you are buying then read up on engine issues with the 335i, superb cars but some expensive potential issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

regardless of any potential problems that may happen, its a lot of car for that money.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
2funky4u
Enlisted Member
Rep

No not selling - was thinking of buying it...but a little nervous now !!

Do you have any links to posts about the engine issues ?

Maybe I I should stick to a 325 coupe ?

Seen this one...but not sure about the dealer - no website etc makes me a little nervous.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

two completely different cars mate, the 335i is an awesome piece of kit my mate has just bought his and loves it!

i think some issues were rattling turbo's etc but if you google it you may get a better idea...overall they are pretty solid and you wouldn't be displeased if you bought one! that much i can tell you
      07-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2funky4u View Post
No not selling - was thinking of buying it...but a little nervous now !!

Do you have any links to posts about the engine issues ?

Maybe I I should stick to a 325 coupe ?
The engine issues are not that bad, every used car has a horror story!

Buying from a dealer gives you a little more peace of mind than private and get a warranty for a little extra piece of mind.

To check the turbo waste gate, start the engine from cold and listen for a mechanical rattling noise, if its there it may indicate the waste gate needs replacing which essentially means new turbos.

The 335 is an awesome piece of kit, completely different prospect than a 325!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

dont jump to a hasty decision based on the negatives on the 335i.
you'll have to do your homework and do some checks, but you'll struggle to beat the quality of car/performance for that price.

my 325 is a great car, but at the time I bought mine 335's were still way more than I could afford. its not the case now, and whilst I would love one, I have other financial commitments etc

go through the forum and have a read, there are some potential issues, but plenty of people out wont have had any problems whatsoever - but you wont hear about them!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
335i is a sublime car. You will love it. Be aware of any potential issues. (coils, turbo's, wastegates & injectors.)

Check with BMW themselves what warranty work has been carried out already!!
      07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
craneboy
Drag Addict!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Don't listen to rumor mongering on here! LOL

335i's are great. Mines not missed a beat and it's similar mileage.
300+ bhp and over 30mpg, can't ask more than that.

This rattling when idling, it's not necessarily the turbo's. You cna get a v.similar noise come from the exhaust valve at the reat of the car. This is simple to diagnose, as you can disconnect it by unplugging the soleniod from inside the boot.
I actualy prefer the exhaust note with the soleniod permanently unplugged (and it's never thrown an engine light like some say it will on here! lol)

I say go for it, it looks clean. Just give it a good thorough check over to make sure it's not too good to be true. you could even ask for it to be diagnosed before you commit (ask for the printed report).

HTH

Andy
      07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
2funky4u
Enlisted Member
Rep

...and that's why this forum is SO GREAT ! so imformative and such helpful people! Now to get old of the garage and arrange a test drive... and get rid of the CLK....anyone fancy a CLK !?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
davyk31
Major General
Rep

I think to be fair the talk on here of mechanical issues are more than "rumour mongering". There are genuine cases of people who have faced pretty hefty bills so it can be a reality and yes all cars can go wrong but some models seem to have faults that could be more common. Put that against the fact that its a great car and make your decision.

325i is ok but especially in the 2.5 guise it has little torque and is gutless unless revved hard, it is however a beautifully smooth engine with a lovely noise when you do use the revs but I found mine disappointingly gutless.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I've been here for a fair amount of time and I'm still seeing the very same things over and over.

I'm not saying the 335i is ultra reliable, but it doesn't seem any worse than any other BMW and it is still non 335i drivers the most vocal about these problems.

In recent months I seem to be reading far more 335d problems than any other car, but I've yet to read its reliability been brought into question.

I do agree the actuators were weak and a common fault. For anybody that got the updated ones, anyone else had further issues?

The injectors too. BMW did a recall last year to replace what they had found to be a substandard batch. Anyone had failures since?

I've had the actuator rattle and they were replaced under warranty 20k ago. I had 3 injectors replaced and any other problem was dealer damage or general BMW problems.

I will stick by my opinion that the majority of HPFP failures are down to poor quality fuel as the majority of failures are in the USA.

Can you point out the people who have recently had a big bill to pay as I've completely missed their post?

It isn't often I read anyone on this site forking out huge money for repairs as it seems many pay for the warranty. The only person I seem to remember forking out was Phil in his higher mileage which is also modified a fair amount.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Just another thought on that particular car, get the wheels checked for cracks as the 230's are also prone to it....

And another thing don't expect to get anything better than 25 MPG, ever!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg330 View Post
Just another thought on that particular car, get the wheels checked for cracks as the 230's are also prone to it....

And another thing don't expect to get anything better than 25 MPG, ever!!
The 230s are not bad for cracking but like any 19" wheel with low profile tyres will have some failures.

I live in a busy city centre and average 28mpg with my combined driving. On a motorway run I get 35mpg at motorway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
davyk31
Major General
Rep

I don't think it is really relevant whether repairs caused huge bills or were paid by warranty , rather it's the fact there was an issue.

I can only comment on my 335d, five years old and only issue was the turbo pipe leak.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
davyk31
Major General
Rep

I don't think it is really relevant whether repairs caused huge bills or were paid by warranty , rather it's the fact there was an issue.

I can only comment on my 335d, five years old and only issue was the turbo pipe leak.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

The N54 unit in the 335i is a fab engine..hence it was used in the 1M, and is still used in the 335is, and has just won another award despite been launched over 5 years ago!!

The 335i is by far the best car I've owned, its quick, pratical, understated, and suprisingly frugal when you careful with your right foot

Go have a look on N54.com and your see over in the states plenty of people running heavily modded cars hit 100Km with no problems.

Don't let what you read on web put you off a good car, as your see the people who seem most concerned about how unreliably the 335i is don't actually own one.....I've spent plenty of £££ on mods since buying mine 14 months ago, and have had no reliability problems at all. If something brakes I'll take it to my local inde to be fixed, I wouldn't trust any BMW dealer to go with in 10 yards of my car

Yes the turbos could explode the minute you drive it out of the show room, but life is too short to waste worrying about things that haven't even happened...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Again I haven't actually read that many turbo failures either.

Due to the nature of turbochargers they can quite often fail and often because the owner has been a bit too harsh with them during warn up and cool down.

Given the amount of cars mapped running more than double the boost BMW intended a lot of people can't complain if turbo life has been shortened.

I've read far more 320d and 335d turbo failures than 335i turbos going.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I've been here for a fair amount of time and I'm still seeing the very same things over and over.

I'm not saying the 335i is ultra reliable, but it doesn't seem any worse than any other BMW and it is still non 335i drivers the most vocal about these problems.

In recent months I seem to be reading far more 335d problems than any other car, but I've yet to read its reliability been brought into question.

I do agree the actuators were weak and a common fault. For anybody that got the updated ones, anyone else had further issues?

The injectors too. BMW did a recall last year to replace what they had found to be a substandard batch. Anyone had failures since?

I've had the actuator rattle and they were replaced under warranty 20k ago. I had 3 injectors replaced and any other problem was dealer damage or general BMW problems.

I will stick by my opinion that the majority of HPFP failures are down to poor quality fuel as the majority of failures are in the USA.

Can you point out the people who have recently had a big bill to pay as I've completely missed their post?

It isn't often I read anyone on this site forking out huge money for repairs as it seems many pay for the warranty. The only person I seem to remember forking out was Phil in his higher mileage which is also modified a fair amount.
I agree. I was put off a 335i for some time due to the scare stories. In time I realised it was the same stories being rolled out time and time again so 2 years ago I went out and bought one.

I bought an AUC and extended the warranty after the 1st year. My experience has been positive. I've had no issues and no cracked wheels (230s). It averages 27mpg and does everything I want it to do.

Get it bought!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post

Davy with all due respect if you haven't owned one then how can you offer advice. The way I see it advice based on something read on the internet is unreliable and doesn't do the OP any favours.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Ummm if you read my posts I simply advised the OP to do a search and make his own mind up, to get some viewpoints is the reason he posted here in the first place. Most people will understand that naturally forums will highlight problems and that many happy owners will never post. However most people want to go in with as much knowledge as possible.

I totally agree the issues are not common place but they do occur as they do on all models of cars. Lets not get too defensive about our own cars .....
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
KASPA
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MSPORT

That car is a couple of minutes away from me. To be 100% honest it is a clean looking car but be assured that it's been driven pretty hard.
Appreciate 0