F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which mobile phone to use for full BMW Connected Drive use?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
CasZy NL
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M4 | X5 | Z1

Garage List
2008 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
1991 BMW Z1  [10.00]
Which mobile phone to use for full BMW Connected Drive use?

Which mobile telephone should / do you use for full BMW Connected Drive use?

I understand you need a iPhone if you want to use My BMW Remote app. However, if you want to use the full office function, a Blackberry (Bold 9790) would be the better choice.

What are your experiences?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

HTC Desire HD (android 2.3) - contacts and that's about it
Samsung Galaxy SII (android 4.0) - internet, contacts, SMS messages

I've installed the latest bluetooth software update from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Android support isn't great, but hopefully will improve as BMW release updates. I don't really feel like buying a blackberry just to use the office functionality in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
bruininabag
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer

iPhone is your best bet for now since it's the only one to support BMW Apps.

Office support for iPhone is coming with the next version of iOS due sometime in the fall. You can probably get iOS 6 beta installed if you want it to work now.

If you can wait, BMW did announce Android support for apps sometime in the future but no release information has been given.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Gerusarus
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 323i Ex individual

I've tested IOS6 beta in a iPhone, it works like a charm form text and email message, provided that you do have all the relevant infotainment options in your car.

PS. some additional functionality if your iPhone is JB'd that would normal not be possible, not functionality in the car, but stuff that can still be used whilst connected to the BMW app on the iPhone. I came accross a beta-beta JB for IOS6 beta
Previously - E90 325i Exclusive individual, E46 320i Exclusive individual, Hyundai csi 1.5
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Do your F30s have the Office functions for Blackberry phones? When I test-drove a 5-series, this was a feature pointed out to me. But when I collected my F30, there was no Office function - was told it was "disabled" for the 3-series. I'm not sure if it is installed at the factory for the 3-series, then the Singapore-bound cars (from the distributor, not from parallel importers) have it "disabled".

Am wondering if it's just the 3-series in Singapore, or globally/in other countries as well. Anyone know why the Office functions might be disabled? If it's just to "upsell" users a 5-series, that's a shame and a low trick. I'm more inclined to chuck my Blackberry than to upgrade to a 5. It's just a company phone, which, anyway, I merely tolerate.
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGScuba View Post
Do your F30s have the Office functions for Blackberry phones? When I test-drove a 5-series, this was a feature pointed out to me. But when I collected my F30, there was no Office function - was told it was "disabled" for the 3-series. I'm not sure if it is installed at the factory for the 3-series, then the Singapore-bound cars (from the distributor, not from parallel importers) have it "disabled".

Am wondering if it's just the 3-series in Singapore, or globally/in other countries as well. Anyone know why the Office functions might be disabled? If it's just to "upsell" users a 5-series, that's a shame and a low trick. I'm more inclined to chuck my Blackberry than to upgrade to a 5. It's just a company phone, which, anyway, I merely tolerate.
Do you have pro nav? I have "Office" in the main menu. Ironically blackberry is probably the phone that works best with it atm.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Do you have pro nav? I have "Office" in the main menu. Ironically blackberry is probably the phone that works best with it atm.
Yes I have nav pro. Thanks for confirming that you have Office in your menu.

So it looks like it's the Singapore-bound cars that have Office disabled. Darn you, Performance Motors (the BWM distributor for SG)!!
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

The BMW apps are not downloadable in Australia which makes me think office will not work here either. They call us the "lucky" country
Appreciate 0