E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF DP installed - how to check for leaks?

07-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #1
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

VRSF DP installed - how to check for leaks?

Hey all,

My arms hands and fingers are bruised scraped and sore as I'm typing this and my back hurts, but my downpipes are in. and the turbo spool now sounds amazing. I just wanted to say vrsf downpipes fit perfect and I couldn't be happier. Thank you vrsf for an excellent product.

Now my question is how do I check for leaks? I believe everything is on tight, although I did use a longer screw to tighten the rear vclamp. I hate that thing with a passion. AR Designs says the ends of the vband should almost be touching when screwed together. Mine aren't but they're on tight. Boost hits as expected on my jb4 but acceleration sounds airy but no hissing (but I'm not sure if it is supposed to sound like this). Definitely louder and throatier than before. Is there any destriment to performance if there is a leak performance between turbo and DP and DP to exhaust ?

Also my two flanges from dp to exhaust touch each other. I didn't hear any clanking as I drove it around, but I wonder if this is ok. I tried everything to get them to not touch but they just do.

Here are some tips for those embarking on this journey.
1. I read every single dp install thread on here and three things helped me out the most. Mach Schnell has a youtube video on how to install, AR Designs has a youtube video, and Riss Racing has a very nice downpipe pdf. The diy in the diy section is also good but the videos helped more.

2. I moved the steering rack forward but you can also pull it down (in AR Design's video). Most diy threads just say move it forward.

3. Researching the dp install I came across rhino ramp discussions. I can't get up rhino ramps with my aero lip and sport suspension. But rolling up 2x4's to the ramps worked fine.

4. Get extensions with wobble tips or socket pivots. Not in the diy thread, but they help so much.

5. You can shine a light down from the engine to give you more light by the vbands.

I probably would never do this again and pay a shop only because I hate the rear vband clamp. Otherwise the install is cake when you have the right tools.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Im guessing you just finished the install! CONGRATS
i finished mine around this time time too if i recall. i felt un easy about the tightness of the clamps, and i was right 2 days later i went back and used a shit ton of extensions and swivel joints and tightened about 2 revolutions more.

i also had a post similar to this after install

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686497
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Congrats....I wouldn't have even attempt it unless I had it on a left.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Good job on the DIY!

If you had to use a longer bolt and the ends aren't touching, there's a good chance the clamp isn't fully seated around the v-band flanges.

The first few sets I installed were actually on the floor with a jack so it can definitely be done for those worried about attempting it themselves. Hit me up if you have any concerns!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

When you start up the car have a buddy help you plug the right exhaust tip with his hand while you plug the left one, if you get a pressure build up and it kinda wants to shoot both of your guys hands off, then you should be good, but if you are both plugging and you aren't getting a building of exhaust gas pressure, then you have a leak! This is the test I use and one time I did in fact have a leak.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Thanks dmacc I'll try that and also retighten everything as Sammy suggested. Tiago, I'll shoot you a pm when I revisit the install to check stuff.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0