E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fuel Pump Question WRT Engine Wear

07-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Fuel Pump Question WRT Engine Wear

Question for those of you more versed in engine operations than I:

When does the oil pump begin oil circulation? What I mean is; say the oil pump does not begin oil ciculation until the cylinders are actually firing and the engine is 'running' - and in our case the cranking is taking 3-4 times longer than usual until firing and thus engine 'running' this must be increasing the wear of the cylinder(s), sleeves, etc . . At least as I understand it, cold starting is where most engine wear occurs due to the lack of circulating oil so in our cases of longer cranks, this must be compounded by the additional length of cranking.

I tried to seach for aticles on the net about when oil pumps actually being circulation and could not find much information. I know the 335 has a demand regulated oil pump - but again I am not sure when it starts working.

Also, for all the build date talk: I have a 17 April build w/ 3000 miles that has been having long cranks during cold/warm starts since about 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0