E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning the Leather with...

07-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Cleaning the Leather with...

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

The interior leather is incredibly filthy, the previous owner definitely did not keep up with his leather. I was talking with a friend and he told me that the mr. clean magic eraser does a great job cleaning the dirt stains from the leather, but to only use this method once and not often.

Anyone hear of this before?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
aandrew335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

A lot of the e46 guys used to use this on their steering wheels. Gets it nice and matte again, and clean. But you have to condition it after because this does dry it out. Im not sure about on the seats but search on e46fanatics and see what you can find out.
      07-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandrew325 View Post
A lot of the e46 guys used to use this on their steering wheels. Gets it nice and matte again, and clean. But you have to condition it after because this does dry it out. Im not sure about on the seats but search on e46fanatics and see what you can find out.
well I clearly would only use this to clean the dirt spots off and follow with leather conditioner. Just figured it would be easier than going out and buying leather cleaner but I don't want any harsh effects.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive

We use these a lot at the the Dealership I work at. The Eraser will shred to nothing but in the process it cleans the heck out of anything. If the leather has tears or splits you have to be gentle not to put your back into it and force the tear open. They do work extremly well though!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
We use these a lot at the the Dealership I work at. The Eraser will shred to nothing but in the process it cleans the heck out of anything. If the leather has tears or splits you have to be gentle not to put your back into it and force the tear open. They do work extremly well though!
ok awesome! The leather is in great condition, it's just filthy and needs a good cleaning
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Mr Clean MagicŪ - this foam product is manufactured in Germany by BASF under the name Basotect. Use caution if using Magic Eraser as it contains abrasives that are roughly equivalent to 3000 grit finishing paper, on leather as it has been found to damage the surface of pigmented and covered leather, which may require replacement.

This product doesn't clean it abrades the surface of the finished leathers urethane, removing dirt and some of the finish, but it’s quick and cheap so it’s ideal for dealerships. However for the correct way; similar your paint surface; you abrade surface scratches but clean dirt using the correct products.

“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-17-2012 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
shrink
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i SE

the magic eraser will ruin the surface of the leather. It'll remove some of the coating that protects the leather. I wouldnt advise using this on your car seats.

I use a leather cleaner from Saxon. Originally designed for expensive leather sofas in the home, it does a superb job of cleaning the lemon dakota leather in my 325.
Appreciate 0