F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Tinting....
GetBMWParts

07-13-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Tinting....

Hey guys,

As you're all taking new deliveries, I had a question to ask. Are you guys getting tinting done through the dealer or 3rd party?

If it is 3rd party... (and you don't mind sharing) which company was it done through?

I want a dark tint, but dealer's "darkest legal" just seems to always be not dark enough. Thinking of just getting it done through tint-a-car or something cos their tints seem darker?

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Chris_F30_335
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Hi Spikey,

Mate I am getting mine done by the dealer, "darkest legal" - they call it Graphite. $700 or so.

I get it done at the dealer on any new cars I get so I can go to the dealer for anything that goes wrong with the vehicle - including tint issues. Also, I dont want to drop my car off to ANYONE other than BMW, in case the scratch, dent or damage the car. When you take delivery of a new car it has to be perfect right. The dealer takes accoutnability for any chance of damage applying the tint.

I think you can find places that will do it for $300-400. Theres every chance it will be perfectly good, theres also every chance the dealer just takes it to those places themselves and pocket the difference.

Also, I dont really mind if it isn't insanely dark. At one stage I had a twin turbo Toyota Supra, that was 15% vis all the way round. That was just nuts. At night I couldnt see an effing thing! :P

Bottom line, I like the car done ready to roll when I take delivery. All accountability with the dealer.

Good luck!
DELIVERED! - BMW F30 335i, Mineral White, Luxury Line, 19" 401s, Dynamic M Runing Gear, Variable Sports Steering, Sports Seats, Glass Roof, HUD, Comfort Access, Rear View Camera, Music Interface & all the 335 fruit.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I had mine done through Brisbane BMW. It's darkest legal. I think the film is called suntech. Cost $795, so yeah it wasn't cheap, but I didn't really want to skimp on this car. I can't really fault the job so I'm happy with it.
For the E92 I used a place at moorooka on Beaudesert Rd. The result was good, and the price was $300-400. I went 2 shades darker than legal, probably too dark in hindsight. Looked pretty good though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I can certainly understand having the dealer organise the tinting, just in case of issues.

Never had a tint on any of my BMWs. Not sure if I will for my F30. Never thought about it. What is it like on a heavily overcast day during winter, especially in Melbourne?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Can't speak for Melbourne, but its been overcast and raining here all day, and I've had no problems at all with visibility. Darkest legal isn't that dark.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hmmm thanks for the replies so far guys.

I totally understand and relate to how it feels hey... I got my e92 done by the dealer and was 'darkest legal' but when it's out and about it just doesn't seem dark at all compared to other 'darkest legal' tints.

That said, I'm still a little worried about places scratching/damaging things when they apply the tint. I've heard many a horror story from various places as well...

I don't know... lol... may just end up getting the dealer to do it and just be content that if things go wrong I can harass them about it haha...

O/T... did anyone get paint/leather/upholstery protection done?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

I had mine done by Westside. They were going to charge me $500 when I was buying the car, but I wasn't really interested back then. The customer care manager gave me a call before delivery and offered a package which included tint, leather and paint for $2190. It comes with a 5 year warranty and I'm planning on keeping the car for at least 4+ years. Like Chris said, the dealer will fix any problems, and for my paint protection it includes marks caused by bird, bat and tree crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Probably tint at dealer for reasons mentioned above , paint and leather through my detailer . Paint and leather protection at the dealer is a rip more often than not and you can get better work at a better price elsewhere. Most dealers use sub contractors anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
I can certainly understand having the dealer organise the tinting, just in case of issues.

Never had a tint on any of my BMWs. Not sure if I will for my F30. Never thought about it. What is it like on a heavily overcast day during winter, especially in Melbourne?
Hi David

As a fellow Melbournian, have just had mine tinted to darkest legal and its fine. Don't even notice it at night, let alone on overcast days like today, but it makes it harder for outsiders to peer in at you!! Have had all my previous cars tinted this way and never had any problems.

My installer used Suntech which was mentioned in a previous post and paid a lot less than $795 Never see the sense in paying dealer price for tinting as there is not much to go wrong. In fact my guy does tinting for BMW and Volvo so I knew his work would be good.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
In fact my guy does tinting for BMW and Volvo so I knew his work would be good.
Hi Bmwphile,

Thanks for the advice. So, who is your go to for car window tinting man? How long does it take and can you disclose the cost please?

Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
gaganj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 320d F30

I got it done through tint a car, cost me 350 or so for darkest legal and life time warranty. It took them about 3-4 hrs to do it. Don't see the point of getting it though BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Images of a 15yr old kid at tint-a-whatever pulling apart the trims of my very expensive new car and destroying my HK sound system are probably what did it for me.
I can understand both sides of the argument though, and in the past I've gone the non-dealer route. This time however, quite happy to pay a premium, if only for my own piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Images of a 15yr old kid at tint-a-whatever pulling apart the trims of my very expensive new car and destroying my HK sound system are probably what did it for me.
I can understand both sides of the argument though, and in the past I've gone the non-dealer route. This time however, quite happy to pay a premium, if only for my own piece of mind.
+1. Brand perception of Tint-a-car is what it is, doesn't mean their work is sub-par but I'm not about to test it out.

BMW Club Qld recently had an email going around from a member about this subject. Tintplus is a club sponsor (10% discount to club members I think) and has some good testimonials from other members who've used them.

I'm waiting to hear back from dealership at the moment to see what they'll do on Tiny only pricing. I'm drawing the line at $400 I think.

Oh, and a reminder to make sure whoever you use uses a non-metallic tint for the rear glass.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 07-16-2012 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
I'm waiting to hear back from dealership at the moment to see what they'll do on Tiny only pricing. I'm drawing the line at $400 I think.
Would be keen to find out how much they end up quoting you for tinting, if you are comfortable with disclure
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Sure thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Initial price for tint only was $795 which includes LCT in my case. Have asked them to make a better offer which I should get tomorrow.

If I take delivery then go back I think I don't have to pay the LCT. I did learn that Motorline have a full time staffer doing the work , they don't subcontract the job out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #17
dcg71
Captain
Australia
Rep

Good luck, I'm sure they'll come down a bit. I should have made more effort to negotiate.

The story I got from Brisbane BMW/Westside is that they don't do it in-house, but they do strip the door trims off themselves before putting it on a truck off to the tinter.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #18
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Initial price for tint only was $795 which includes LCT in my case. Have asked them to make a better offer which I should get tomorrow.

If I take delivery then go back I think I don't have to pay the LCT. I did learn that Motorline have a full time staffer doing the work , they don't subcontract the job out.
Hmmm, didn't realise they'd charge LCT on it... May have to push them for a better deal :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Good luck, I'm sure they'll come down a bit. I should have made more effort to negotiate.

The story I got from Brisbane BMW/Westside is that they don't do it in-house, but they do strip the door trims off themselves before putting it on a truck off to the tinter.
This is what i got told too back when i got my e92

We'll have to see what price we can all push them for Lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Hmmm, didn't realise they'd charge LCT on it... May have to push them for a better deal :s
They have to add the LCT in or they'll get raked over the coals. LCT is payable on any accessories or modifications fitted before, or at delivery as set out by the ATO. The only way to not pay it is to take delivery, and then have it done at a point in the future. PITA really.

So the quoted price was really about $600. If I can get at or under $600 including LCT I'll be happy with that.

Excitement levels are building...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #20
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They have to add the LCT in or they'll get raked over the coals. LCT is payable on any accessories or modifications fitted before, or at delivery as set out by the ATO. The only way to not pay it is to take delivery, and then have it done at a point in the future. PITA really.

So the quoted price was really about $600. If I can get at or under $600 including LCT I'll be happy with that.

Excitement levels are building...
Oh yeah.. that makes sense when you spell it out like that. Thanks man

yea... i agree it's a PITA to take delivery then have to take it back for tinting...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
mobius80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012 (F30)

Garage List
2012 328i  [0.00]
Hi all.

I need advice. I want to tint the window of my new 328i Luxury with Black Sapphire Metallic and Veneto Beige interior.

I primaly want tinted window to keep the car cool during summer, and secondarily for the look and finally for the privacy. I know it depend on taste but I find that darker tint looks more sporty while lighter looks more classy. It's the classy that I want.

With that in mind, I first planned to have all windows tint at 88%. However the tinting shop told me that for a beige interior car, 88% would not worth it as the tint would almost not be visible. This is not such a big concern for me however.

But do you know if a 88% tint still block the heat as well as darker tint? What are your recommendation for tinting a beige interior car for a classy look?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius80 View Post
But do you know if a 88% tint still block the heat as well as darker tint? What are your recommendation for tinting a beige interior car for a classy look?
AFAIK it's not so much the % tint that determines the heat reflection, it's the material the tint is made from.
Appreciate 0