E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Pump Woes

07-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fuel Pump Woes

Well, I believe another one is on it's way out. I left this morning to go to the Palisades Mall and the car started up just fine and it was just a normal day.

As I left the mall I started the car and it took easily 6 seconds of cranking to get it started. I felt like I was starting a Dodge Dart!

Isn't this a sign of a fuel pump that will soon cease to be? Will the dealership take it even though it hasn't completely died? And this happens just when I started to really LOVE the car too and got to know it's personality. Damn it! How painful is the lemon procedure? Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

what's the mileage???
      07-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Thats 4 bad fuel pumps in North NJ in less than a week!

They better be careful BMW North America hedquarters is only a few miles away!
      07-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
There may be some hope. Mine cranked long (maybe on 3 seconds though) for two days, and for days now it's starts immediatley. I am thinking maybe some bad gas? I only use Shell 93, but the last time I filled up is the lowest I have ever let the fuel tank get.

Oh well, I hope you are ok, I can't believe there is no recall and we are all just supposed to wait to get stranded. I want to drive my car to the beach (3.5 hours away), but getting stuck in some corn field on the eastern shore would be no fun so I take my Corolla.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
There may be some hope. Mine cranked long (maybe on 3 seconds thought) for two days, and for days now it's starts immediatley. I am thinking maybe some bad gas? I only use Shell 93, but the last time I filled up is the lowest I have ever let the fuel tank get.

Oh well, I hope you are ok, I can't believe there is no recall and we are all just supposed to wait to get stranded. I want to drive my car to the beach (3.5 hours away), but getting stuck in some corn field on the eastern shore would be no fun so I take my Corolla.

Yah mine did the same thing.....then for three weeks it started right up like a charm ....then it crapped out.
      07-10-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
mholmes205
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335 Coupe (Soom: e92 M3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by continentalg5 View Post
Will the dealership take it even though it hasn't completely died?
I had my fuel pump replaced a few weeks ago, and I brought the car into the shop while the car was still able to run. I too was experiencing the sputtering during the start. They ran the diagnostic test for me, gave me the software upgrade, and then determined that the pump was bad. The car sat for two weeks while I was waiting for the part to arrive. In the mean time I was driving an e90 335 loaner.

All in all it was a painless process.

If I were you, I would call my SA and schedule a time to drop the car and have them run the test. Its either that or having to call BMW roadside assist a few weeks down the road when your car dies.
      07-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
what's the mileage???
Only 1600 I got the car on March 20, Dec 06 build date. I was about to get PROcede but now with this whole fuel pump thing I'm not sure if it's the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
There may be some hope. Mine cranked long (maybe on 3 seconds though) for two days, and for days now it's starts immediatley. I am thinking maybe some bad gas? I only use Shell 93, but the last time I filled up is the lowest I have ever let the fuel tank get.

I hope it's just bad gas but I doubt it though because I go to a Mobil station and sometimes Shell and I doubt they water down their gas.
Maybe Shell gas and Mobil gas don't play nice with each other? Anyways I just finished starting my car and it started fine, albeit it the engine was still warm from my trip (practically operating temps) Boy do I hope this was just a fluke!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Your the one that produced those cool iDrive demos!!

Sorry to hear about this, it may just be bad gas, according to your profile, your car was built before March correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
continentalg5
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Your the one that produced those cool iDrive demos!!

Sorry to hear about this, it may just be bad gas, according to your profile, your car was built before March correct?
Yep, that's me. I remeber when I was waiting for my car all I would do is search around for new 335i videos like a meth junkie looking for a fix, so I thought I would help out others in the waiting process by making a video that I wished that I had seen before I got the car.

My car has an Dec 06 build date. I believe after the 20th because one of my headlights has a sticker saying 20/12/06 and the other 14/12/06 (European dates)
Appreciate 0