E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where's the oil catch can data?

07-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Garage List
Where's the oil catch can data?

I've been searching for data that shows oil catch cans actually improve performance. Can anybody lead me to real data - Dyno pulls, data logging, etc? I am still unconvinced that OCCs do anything. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

OCC wont improve performance. they will do what they are named for , catch oil .
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
OCC wont improve performance. they will do what they are named for , catch oil .
Understood. So catching oil is somehow a good thing. I've read that OCCs prevent the valves from clogging and can prevent oil from coating the inside of the intercooler, among other things. I believe the first is a long term maintenance issue which, I suspect, could be cured every 40K miles with walnut blasting or sea foam. I'm still under 30K and haven't had any major problems. The second could be a performance issue, for example higher IATs with no OCC because of oil coating the IC. If so, how much oil does it take to reduce the cooling efficiency of an IC, and how much time/miles does this correspond to?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Seems like you've made up your mind already. Some prefer to spend the cash on a catch can for preventitive measures. I just like to keep that gunk out of my rear turbo and charge pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHR View Post
Understood. So catching oil is somehow a good thing. I've read that OCCs prevent the valves from clogging and can prevent oil from coating the inside of the intercooler, among other things. I believe the first is a long term maintenance issue which, I suspect, could be cured every 40K miles with walnut blasting or sea foam. I'm still under 30K and haven't had any major problems. The second could be a performance issue, for example higher IATs with no OCC because of oil coating the IC. If so, how much oil does it take to reduce the cooling efficiency of an IC, and how much time/miles does this correspond to?
An oil catch can will catch oil vapor floating through your intake tract & prevent your intake valves, CP or FMIC with oil without disrupting the airflow. There is no hard data that illustrates how the car loses performance w/o an OCC, but it's intuitive that if your intake valves, CP, DVs/BOVs, and/or FMIC are clogged with oil, they won't be performing 100%.

I have one, it's def working b/c in the intake hoses has oil in it, the output hose does not & there is oil in the can.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Jeffman
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
An oil catch can will catch oil vapor floating through your intake tract & prevent your intake valves, CP or FMIC with oil without disrupting the airflow. There is no hard data that illustrates how the car loses performance w/o an OCC, but it's intuitive that if your intake valves, CP, DVs/BOVs, and/or FMIC are clogged with oil, they won't be performing 100%.

I have one, it's def working b/c in the intake hoses has oil in it, the output hose does not & there is oil in the can.
Thanks, Benzy. I like your response. As I plan on keeping my car for at least another five years it probably makes sense to install one.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
sutter2k
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:

If you are occasionally feeding oil in addition to your air/fuel you are effectively lowering your octane in an unpredictable manner.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutter2k View Post
If you are occasionally feeding oil in addition to your air/fuel you are effectively lowering your octane in an unpredictable manner.
Wats your point?? An OCC won't add any performance, but if installed correctly & the OCC does not distort airflow/crankcase pressure, the OCC will not hinder performance. So yes, if it's actually catching oil it can prevent performance degradation.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

Good description. I always recommend and OCC to customers, especially when getting a new FMIC.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Good description. I always recommend and OCC to customers, especially when getting a new FMIC.

Mike
Thanks Mike -- I figured after spending $850 on my Helix, I could afford to spend another $175 to protect it with the BMS OCC. Especially since oil blowthrough is a known "headache" with the N54, it's not a bad preventitive measure to take.
Appreciate 0