F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Some help please. Cilajet??
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
incognito_007
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Imperial blue

Some help please. Cilajet??

Ok, so I've had my car now for one month exactly (2012 328 imperial blue, luxury line, dakota leather, premium package, tech package, heated front seats, xenon headlights, badge deletion) and I'm on the fence whether or not to get Cilajet. They coat the inside and outside of your car with it and it is supposed to last 10 years (after the first five years, the Cilajet company calls you to schedule an appt to have it reapplied for free which will last another 5 years) but the only thing is it costs $895. Now I'm thinking detailing my car will probably be cheaper but in the long run wont I eventually pay the same amount? Is there anyone who has Cilajet or perhaps knows about it? Is it a good product/investment or is this just another dealership scam?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

do you have $895 too spare ?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
incognito_007
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Imperial blue

I have it, just wondering if I should get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Shadowgtr
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Let me tell you about my experience with a dealership protector application. At the dealership where I purchased my '12 328i Sport, they offer a service called "BMW Armor". For $499, they apply a coating to the outside of the car, and a leather and carpeting protectant to the inside (at least that's what the brochure said). It is guaranteed for 5 years. I scheduled it one week after I picked up my 328i. As the date approached, I started debating if I should cancel. Especially after reading on the forums that many people considered it "snake-oil" or a rip-off. But being my first luxury vehicle, I didn't want to be cheap and regret not getting some level of protection for my car. Well, I went through with it. After about 5 hours, my car was ready. The outside looked fantastic, shinier than before. When I opened the door, I was shocked. nearly every panel on the inside looked like it had ArmorAll slathered all over it (thank goodness the radio and dash didnt have any, otherwise I would have been furious). My Dad and I had to wipe off excess leather protectant with a microfiber cloth I brought with me just in case. I brought this to the attention of my CA, and after some more wiping with a dry cloth, we were able to sit in the car and drive home. As I was going home, I noticed my hands kept slipping off buttons like the windows and ignition. Long story a bit shorter, it took me 4 hours in a hot Arizona garage with Meguiars Interior Cleaner to get off whatever they put on all the plastic parts and buttons. Include in that 4 hours time to remove the rest of the excess leather protectant (some of which came off on our clothes). To top it off, I noticed some light fraying of the accent stitching on the seats and center console (its red stitch on black, it shows up). I reported this experience to my CA. He said that the detailer shop offered to clean my car and reapply the protectant. I refused because if they couldn't do it right the first time, why should I trust a "scolded" shop to do a better job this time? I guess the plus side out of this is that cleaning bug splatter off the outside is now ridiculously easy (at least for the time being).

Would I do it again? Absolutely not! I have learned my lesson. It would have taken some time and effort, but I would be at least $450 richer, and not have some fraying on the accent stitching of a 2 week old 328i! I should have just done it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
@Shadowgtr - Harsh way to learn a lesson, but it's one that many have attempted to pass on to others, in a vain attempt to help them keep from making this mistake.

@incognito_007 - I worked a summer job as a sales trainee at a Ford dealership after high school, and that experience opened my eyes to the real danger to the customer when working on a deal. Everyone is afraid of the salesperson or the sales manager, fearing that they will be taken advantage of by the sales team. The fact is that most new car deals work on low percentage margins. The real person to watch out for is the F&I manager - (Finance and Insurance). The sole duty of the F&I Manager is to sell you on as many of these "aftermarket" protection services as possible. These services are the real money makers for the dealership.

Bottom line - Cilajet is just a paint sealant. You could apply a ceramic coating product yourself in the comfort of your garage for a whole lot less than $895. Keep your money.
Appreciate 0