E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Types of alignments

06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Je90win
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Types of alignments

What defines a "great" alignment?

I've had my car aligned at the dealership for almost triple the cost of tire shops and feel like the results are similar. If the end product is the car driving straight as an arrow, both seem to accomplish that.

I've also heard about the hunter alignment machines but wonder how it differs from the other. Contemplating if I should try one of these shops vs another tire shop. Any type of warranty for the alignment? Many tire shops let you come back as many times within a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
TheTal0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I paid $75 at a shop that had a brand new machine for 2011, they said my camber was off slightly though, is that because of the sports package?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
If you have active steering then it's better to get the alignment done at a BMW dealer. If not, any local shop should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Just had my 5 series done on a Hunter Hawkeye elite for $90. It doesn't have active steering, but it does have DDC and ARS. The machine is pretty impressive, you enter your VIN and they do a biopsy first to see if you car even needs it. Then it prints out a sheet and shows you what is off. The right side of my car was off and they said it's usually due to poor road conditions that tend to be more on the right side of the road. The car feel fantastic but probably more so because I took the stupid RFT tires off the car and put some Bridgestone S-04 on there, what a difference.

06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
an alignment is just a way to FIX what is wrong. it won't benefit the car if the alignment is already correct.
why does an oil change at the dealer feel the same as the indy shop even though i pay more at the dealer? oh yeah - because it's the same oil, or in the alignment case, it's the same correction being made to the vehicle's suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I went to a local Merchant's Tire and they turned me away because they said they had varying levels of success aligning BMWs so instead I went to a local speed shop. They did a good job and even added ballasts to the car as described in the service manual. The only thing is that they left my steering wheel a little crooked.

I would definitely take it to a reputable shop with a modern machine. Any old Sears or whatever just won't cut it imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Je90win
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
an alignment is just a way to FIX what is wrong. it won't benefit the car if the alignment is already correct.
My question was whether a tire shop using basic machine and a performance shop using the hunter will have an effect on the end result. Basically, what can the performance shop with hunter alignment do that the basic shop can't.

My steering wheel tends to veer left and looking to get something done soon.
Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Je90win; 06-28-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

even some shops that have hunter machines are not able to align bmws..
the dealer is the only place that can do it right
      06-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
ExpensiveTaste
Poor Kid with Dreams
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335xi

It's not what they're able to do, it's how much effort they put into it. The older machines are easier to mess up if you don't follow the procedure correctly. I would bet a good mechanic would be able to setup a car to the same potential with the older mechanical style tools as these new hunter machines. They just save time and make it harder to screw up.

'07 BSM 335xi JB4, DCI, CX Racing I/C, ER Chargepipe, Meth, KW V3 - Pending Sale
'95 Mustang GTS 347ci Ported TFS TW Heads,Custom Cam,Victor 5.0 IM,Tubular Front Suspension,Full Exhaust,Big and Littles
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
the dealer is the only place that can do it right
oh please
i hope you only wash your cars at dealers too - cause we all know they're the best at everything
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
RequestTheOverhead
Going Mach Chicken
Rep
Drives: e90 pre-LCI 335

Garage List
Achieving a good alignment is as much an art as it is a skill!

Any tech can throw a car on the lift, attach sensors to the wheels, and make adjustments according to what the machine tells them. The truly talented guys know how far to go on either side of spec based on tire size and tread design to maximize tire life and maintain performance. Last time I had the dealer do it, I had to go back twice. Today I went to a small shop owned by two older gentleman to get my new summer wheels and tires aligned. This placed was recommended by my local indy shop, who's owner told me, "I send all our cars to these guys and I have yet to have to send one back!". The price was also the best I found ($85). I'm happy and also learned a lot since I was standing right next to them as they set up the machine (a Hunter) and made the adjustments...all the while explaining what they were doing and why. The car tracks perfect and feels awesome! Never going to the dealer again!

Last edited by RequestTheOverhead; 06-29-2012 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post

I've had my car aligned at the dealership for almost triple the cost of tire shops and feel like the results are similar. If the end product is the car driving straight as an arrow, both seem to accomplish that.

I've also heard about the hunter alignment machines but wonder how it differs from the other. Contemplating if I should try one of these shops vs another tire shop. Any type of warranty for the alignment? Many tire shops let you come back as many times within a year.

I found dealership failed at three different attempts over 4 years

Best chance for success is OCD shop or tech

Someone with a passion

Road test after alignment is important too
they should go the distance. That

Wheel is centered
And car tracks straight

Crown of road is not the response you should ever get
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
TotalBlackout
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i

I have active steering. What's the diff about where I get alignment?
      06-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Modern equipment is part of it....but skill, experience matter too.

But most important is ATTITUDE. At the shop I go to, they take the time and effort to get it exactly right. Not 99.% right, RIGHT. It takes a lot of tweaking, checking, tweaking, and re-checking....but they are amazing at getting it right when I leave the shop.

Their business now is mostly higher-end cars driven by guys who like to drive and appreciate quality. I'd say that is a core market for a wheels and tire shop, as opposed to those who just change their tires when they fall apart. I sincerely doubt that MY BMW dealer has the time/would take the time to do the job my independent tire shop does...after all...tires is the only way they make money whereas BMW gets some pretty expensive repair jobs thrown their way....it's all about business priorities!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
The machine plays a big role too in helping the tech but it's about the technician most of the time. Some guys will run the machine, make adjustments and see if it's within spec. Others will run the machine, make adjustments, run the machine, make adjustments until they can get it perfect. If the tech is 'lazy', they'll get it within the specs and call it a day.
      06-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
The machine plays a big role too in helping the tech but it's about the technician most of the time. Some guys will run the machine, make adjustments and see if it's within spec. Others will run the machine, make adjustments, run the machine, make adjustments until they can get it perfect. If the tech is 'lazy', they'll get it within the specs and call it a day.
yeah but wouldn't most people not even notice any difference between a 100% perfect alignment and just being with-in specs ?

also i assume car specs gives you good tread life and performance balance while its pretty much up to you with one you wish to maximize with alignment
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:

its not just about straight driving
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Je90win
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
its not just about straight driving
What else is it about?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What else is it about?
Performance. Handling/Cornering

at BMW or pretty much any other shop you will get alignment done to specs, but a tuning shop can recommend different numbers for better performance

I know some people request to sit in the car during alignment because weight also effects the results, so for perfect numbers you need to do that as well.

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 06-29-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

"Recommendations

An accurate wheel alignment is critical to balance the treadwear and performance a vehicle's tires deliver. Regular wheel alignments will usually save you as much in tire wear as they cost, and should be considered routine, preventative maintenance. Since there are "acceptable" ranges provided in the manufacturer's recommendations, the technician should be encouraged to align the vehicle to the preferred settings and not just within the range.

If you are a reserved driver, aligning your vehicle to the vehicle manufacturer's preferred settings is appropriate.

If you are an assertive driver who enjoys driving hard through the corners and expressway ramps, a performance alignment is appropriate for your car. A performance alignment consists of using the vehicle manufacturer's range of alignment specifications to maximize the tires' performance. A performance alignment calls for the manufacturer's maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster, and preferred toe settings. While remaining within the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, these alignment settings will maximize tire performance.

If you are a competition driver who frequently runs autocross, track or road race events, you'll typically want the maximum negative camber, maximum positive caster and most aggressive toe settings available from the car and permitted by the competition rules. If the rules permit, aftermarket camber plates and caster adjustments are good investments.

Many of today's alignment machines are equipped with printouts that compare the "before" and "after" alignment angles with the manufacturers' specifications. Requesting a post alignment printout can help you confirm the thoroughness of the alignment technician and preserve a record of your vehicle's intended settings in the case of an encounter with a suspension damaging road hazard."
Appreciate 0