E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > front M3 wishbones without M3 tension struts?

06-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
front M3 wishbones without M3 tension struts?

from everything I've read here, the M3 wishbone (control arms) are what provides increased (more negative) camber.

also, from this forum, at least some folks believe the M3 tension struts are basically identical to non-M3, except for the bushing.

Is anyone running the M3 wishbones without the M3 tension struts? Are you doing okay with it? There is one post where someone says they experienced problems.

I already have new tension struts (Meyle HD) with stronger bushings and I'm considering my options for adding negative camber. Seems like the easiest solution from an install / labor side of things is M3 wishbones. Not sure if I would go that route if I have to spend $$$ to replace tension struts as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I am surprised at the amount of interest something like a very small increase in negative camber is gathering here for a crowd that will likely NEVER sniff the hot side of the track. It's almost like a weird obsession that, if it's equipped on an M3, it MUST be better...

I'm also shocked at the amount of concern about "understeer" on a car, again, NEVER going to sniff the hot side of the track.

Weird.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I am surprised at the amount of interest something like a very small increase in negative camber is gathering here for a crowd that will likely NEVER sniff the hot side of the track. It's almost like a weird obsession that, if it's equipped on an M3, it MUST be better...

I'm also shocked at the amount of concern about "understeer" on a car, again, NEVER going to sniff the hot side of the track.

Weird.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
tres
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335is 6MT

if you want more negative camber there are several ways. ! camber plates
take the pins out ! lower you car ! make the holes more oval on the frame. M3 wishbones will not give you that much negative camber. Replacing the tension struts and wishbones is pretty easy and can be done with simple tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
from everything I've read here, the M3 wishbone (control arms) are what provides increased (more negative) camber.

also, from this forum, at least some folks believe the M3 tension struts are basically identical to non-M3, except for the bushing.

Is anyone running the M3 wishbones without the M3 tension struts? Are you doing okay with it? There is one post where someone says they experienced problems.

I already have new tension struts (Meyle HD) with stronger bushings and I'm considering my options for adding negative camber. Seems like the easiest solution from an install / labor side of things is M3 wishbones. Not sure if I would go that route if I have to spend $$$ to replace tension struts as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
I agree to some degree with the responses however my question is focused on compatibility. Do the M3 wishbones work with non-M tension struts (or not?). Is anyone running such a setup and would they recommend it?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree to some degree with the responses however my question is focused on compatibility. Do the M3 wishbones work with non-M tension struts (or not?). Is anyone running such a setup and would they recommend it?
The main upgrade of these parts are the bushings contained within... the minor amount of negative camber you gain is just a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
I wouldn't.

What you'll have are delrin on one lightweight, very stiff arm; rubber on another, heavy iron arm if you're going half stock.

Hey....

Camber adjustment's to be had w/quality plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I wouldn't.

What you'll have are delrin on one lightweight, very stiff arm; rubber on another, heavy iron arm if you're going half stock.

Hey....

Camber adjustment's to be had w/quality plates.
thanks. mostly concerned about how they might work together. Would rather not go M3 wishbone if they won't work with my new Meyle tension struts. On the other hand, if they were compatible, think the payup for M3 part is small compared to new non-M wishbone.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

It will work, anything can work. It will be different with no harm. If your changing the arms I would go ahead and spend the little extra on them.

Where in Florida are you from?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@PRS
It will work, anything can work. It will be different with no harm. If your changing the arms I would go ahead and spend the little extra on them.

Where in Florida are you from?
north Tampa
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Well, it's been a while since I've seen The Hack berate someone for asking about a suspension mod for a car that may never see the 'hot side of the track.' Good to know e90post hasn't lost it's flavor. The bottom line (for me and many others that may never see the hot side of a track) is an additional -.07d of front camber really improves turn in on the STREET especially for those of us who ditched the rft's and lost some of that turn in response..
mlifxs: fwiw, you can get about the same amount of neg camber by pulling the alignment pins from the strut mounts and realigning. Maybe ask Harold at HPA about compatibility of your oe tension links w/the M3 wishbone link? Of course, he's a vendor so I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes.
      06-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
bootay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

I won't be tracking my car much, if at all, but I sure put it through some work on the back country roads and generally just enjoy the feel of the improved suspension.
      06-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #13
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks. mostly concerned about how they might work together. Would rather not go M3 wishbone if they won't work with my new Meyle tension struts. On the other hand, if they were compatible, think the payup for M3 part is small compared to new non-M wishbone.
OK, maybe my bad. The pic I saw looked like iron; just a little more pokin' around showed me what appears to be cast aluminum.

So, what've you got? And are bushings rubber or no?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #14
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
OK, maybe my bad. The pic I saw looked like iron; just a little more pokin' around showed me what appears to be cast aluminum.

So, what've you got? And are bushings rubber or no?
Car has 94k miles, wishbones at 94k miles, Meyle HD tension struts have 2k miles. Also running BMW PF V1 with 2k miles. Meyle bushings "look" like OEM but definitely feel firmer (probably a combination of "HD" and old part degradation). I'm happy to make further improvements as long as their economical and meaningful.

Seems like EVERYONE who's tried it likes the M3 setup. Wondering if I can get away with just the wishbones, thinking they'll be paired up with stronger than oem tension struts, but don't want to do the labor twice or pay for new M3 tension struts if the M3 wishbones are incompatible on their own.

I've also explored the "pull the pin", as we've conversed on this in another one of my threads:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703484
So far, "pull the pin" has earned me a 0.2 degree improvement in camber. I'm a noob at this so perhaps I can get more out of it with some work or the tool I mention in that thread.

Hopefully there are folks out there has tried the "M3 wishbones only" setup to say yay or nay. I'm not inclined to pursue it without positive feedback from those who've done it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Car has 94k miles, wishbones at 94k miles, Meyle HD tension struts have 2k miles. Also running BMW PF V1 with 2k miles. Meyle bushings "look" like OEM but definitely feel firmer (probably a combination of "HD" and old part degradation). I'm happy to make further improvements as long as their economical and meaningful.

Seems like EVERYONE who's tried it likes the M3 setup. Wondering if I can get away with just the wishbones, thinking they'll be paired up with stronger than oem tension struts, but don't want to do the labor twice or pay for new M3 tension struts if the M3 wishbones are incompatible on their own.

I've also explored the "pull the pin", as we've conversed on this in another one of my threads:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703484
So far, "pull the pin" has earned me a 0.2 degree improvement in camber. I'm a noob at this so perhaps I can get more out of it with some work or the tool I mention in that thread.

Hopefully there are folks out there has tried the "M3 wishbones only" setup to say yay or nay. I'm not inclined to pursue it without positive feedback from those who've done it.
IMHO, the biggest benefit of M3 arms in front are the delrin inserts followed by light weight stiffness. So, not knowing really where Meyle is on that, you'd know better than I.

Front control arm R&R is a very easy job requiring no more than raising the vehicle on jack stands & wrenching, 2 bolts at the subframe and 2 nuts at the knuckles. Reality: Shop having a lift, 1 hr to do both wishbones & tension struts, but most'll charge about what BMW says is labor - they have expenses & employees to pay. Can easily DIY - I did....

Then, alignment needed.

M3 arms are the can't-go-wrong solution, excellent performance, as you might expect. Highly recommended & you'll feel the love.

Went from stock to Ground Control camber plates so don't know how pin pulling goes. Camber plates allow max adjust-ability; deliver big gains if you're looking for stock to -2.5° camber, DIY alignment very useful if you adjust.

For a few hundred bucks, I'd ditch rubber bushings for M3 arms and save by DIY, assuming you know the technique.
Appreciate 0