E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers w/comfortable ride?

06-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Unhappy Coilovers w/comfortable ride?

I've had FK Silverlines for ~30K mi now and the ride is starting to get to me. It's a bit harsh, and the rear just flies up while going over bumps/expansion joints on the highway. It is annoying to rear passengers and even when I'm alone in the car. It just feels bouncy. I want the car to soften the bumps and not be so bouncy at the same time. Idk if it's the settings or the coilovers themselves, but I can't stand it anymore. Recently did a 700 mi. roundtrip ride and it was irritating to even drive the car.

I do want to stick w/coilovers b/c of the drop, but wondering what the best options are?

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Changed your dampening settings to softer yet if one way adjustable?

The problem with one-way adjustable dampening is that if you want the coils to soften the bumps (compression) then they are also going to soften the rebound just as much to match.

Not too familiar with the FK's, but if rebound is adjustable seperate from compression, you should try adjusting that as well to fix the "rear flying up" aka the strut rebounding.

You can also look into a different spring setup on the coils, ie swift springs with a different rate.

Lastly, look into aftermarket sway bars. This will not only help with handling but will also aid the struts/springs in more precise rebounding/compression.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Measure how much travel your dampers have because it sounds like you're rebounding off the bumpstops. That's not good if it's happening all the time.

Do the dampers have adjustment knob(s)? What are they set at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0 View Post
The problem with one-way adjustable dampening is that if you want the coils to soften the bumps (compression) then they are also going to soften the rebound just as much to match.

You can also look into a different spring setup on the coils, ie swift springs with a different rate.

Lastly, look into aftermarket sway bars. This will not only help with handling but will also aid the struts/springs in more precise rebounding/compression.
I'll play devil's advocate - the problem with two-way damping is that it's hard to adjust both optimally, which is mega time consuming, and getting under the car for the second knob is a pain in the ass.

A different sway bar is not going to alleviate or noticeably help the issues the OP has. He's driving in a straight line and having problems. I'm tempted to say they would do almost nothing in this scenario.

Going to a different spring is an alternative but my experience says the damper is key. These cheap coilover kits are designed to work with the springs they're sent with only. The dampers are just not good.
      06-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
....I can't stand it anymore. Recently did a 700 mi. roundtrip ride and it was irritating to even drive the car.

I do want to stick w/coilovers b/c of the drop, but wondering what the best options are?
Gotta go w/CJ421 on this one - slammin' bump stops..

As one low rider, you got form over function. Why sport a 'look' when it's annoying to drive? Go a diff direction, matched coilovers.

Getting pretty good results & riding lower w/Ground Control - shocks are their spec yellows - approx. 3/4" below stock, adjustable. However, running M arms/sways. Seems to be in a sweet spot.

Maybe not as low as yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

KW Street Confort c/o's
      06-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I'll play devil's advocate - the problem with two-way damping is that it's hard to adjust both optimally, which is mega time consuming, and getting under the car for the second knob is a pain in the ass.
Very true, but once it's done... it's done

Quote:
A different sway bar is not going to alleviate or noticeably help the issues the OP has. He's driving in a straight line and having problems. I'm tempted to say they would do almost nothing in this scenario.
Ya, your totally right, i see he's only worried about comfort, not handling/control on the freeways at all i guess, and sways would do the opposite for him.

Quote:
Going to a different spring is an alternative but my experience says the damper is key. These cheap coilover kits are designed to work with the springs they're sent with only. The dampers are just not good.
Not familiar with the FK's, but i have to fully disagree on the importance of the spring over damper as far as ride comfort goes (assuming the damper is at least decent). However, if these coils are cheap like you say, one thing ive noticed is not much difference in rebound/compression from full hard to full soft in cheap coilovers.

Also, there are plenty of cheap coils out there that seem to perform significantly better with upgraded springs, Fortune 500's (a cheap coilover with different Swift options) is a good example of this. But again, i have no knowledge of FK's.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll look into the suggestions here, but am not too familiar w/the setup myself b/c I had the shop who installed it do the settings. I might end up taking it to VAC here in Philly and see if they can adjust it to my liking.

I think I forgot to mention, but it's not too bad when it's just me in the car. But, if I have passengers in the back, it's the worst. It's kinda ghetto seeing that rear (and the passengers) fly up/bounce any time we hit some joint in the hwy. It may be that it's hitting the bumpstops now that you mention it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Its set too low, and likely the dampers arent high enough quality to work with a stiff spring and also work with substantially less available suspension travel range

You will need to raise the car up at least a half inch or more to gain an appreciable gain in ride comfort. this will be the same for any coilover you use.
      06-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Ohlins Road & Track...nothing else is going to be as comfortable
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

I have FK Silverlines on my Audi and after 4 years when I first drove my new CPO 335i, the ride was the softest thing I've felt in a while. I love the flatness in turns of the FKs, but wow if rolling over leaves wasn't jarring. I didn't get any bounce though, it's really, really, stiff.

I don't think I'd ever get FK's again and if I get some extra cash I'll switch them out for something else since my wife took the Audi. My wife doesn't seem to mind the ride, but she's only had it for a month.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 0