E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Racing Brake caliper upgrade?

06-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Racing Brake caliper upgrade?

Anybody used the racingbrake caliper upgrade in concert with their 2-piece rotors?

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...T_p/2158-k.htm

Searched, didn't find anything...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

My old 350Z had a similar set-up, with their 4 piston calipers up front and their OE caliper upgraded larger rotors in the rear. It was a phenomenal set-up and fixed the one glaring issue the 350Z has always had on track with the brakes (did I mention I blew through a brand new set of pads in 5 sessions on the 350Z?). It went from absolutely abysmal with the stock calipers and rotors to "holy crap I had brakes" and completely transformed the 350Z. The newer calipers looks nice, and appears to have far more advanced technologies and materials (stainless steel pistons...typically seen on race calipers costing 2-2.5X more).

The 3 series has far superior brakes. Whether or not it NEEDS big multi-piston calipers is up for debate. All I will say is, their old calipers that was put on the 350Z, while nice, was a step down from StopTECH STs in terms of build quality but holds its own on performance. The new ones in this kit, which I saw last year in their office, appears to be FAR superior. The rotor is still the centerpiece of the entire upgrade though.

The only other thing I will suggest, is calculate the piston area on the front pistons, and make sure it matches the total piston area on the new caliper, otherwise you'll end up with a very soft, very mushy pedal that no amount of bleeding or flushing of the brake fluid will EVER solve.

RacingBrake builds good stuff. There's no denying it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

The only other thing I will suggest, is calculate the piston area on the front pistons, and make sure it matches the total piston area on the new caliper, otherwise you'll end up with a very soft, very mushy pedal that no amount of bleeding or flushing of the brake fluid will EVER solve.

RacingBrake builds good stuff. There's no denying it.
The RB caliper appears to have 4x38mm pistons.. the stock front caliper I can't find the specs for anywhere...

Any ideas how big that one is?
Appreciate 0