E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Auto Transmission and Tuning

06-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
MyVi335i
Rep
Drives: Black 2009 335i coupe, Dinan 2

Auto Transmission and Tuning

I have done a lot of research on here and have come up with some great information and insight (I wish I would have done it sooner). I currently have a Dinan Stage 2 and BMS DCI's and factory sport package currently installed and the car is running great. I plan on adding a set of DP's and an intercooler and updating my tuning software to something different (I already know which brands I am going to go with but am not going to mention them because I dont want another tuning war. The primary question I have is are there any modding restrictions that I have, in terms of FBO, with the automatic transmission. I know a lot of you guys are running 6MT and I haven't seen any discussions about the automatics. Previous platforms that I have modded had better results going into the MT as opposed to AT mated transmissions. I know the BMW is far superior to the previous platforms and the DME has aided in tuning solutions. Anybody have any insight?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

don't upgrade your turbos or run nitrous if you can't stomach a rebuild. Even if you somehow got the auto transmission warrantied, it's only a matter of time before it slips again. I'm just waiting for mine to die before I build it up.

the auto should be able to handle just about anything you can throw at it on stock turbos (in moderation of course). Just flush out that ATF around 50-60k miles and let the transmission cool down after hard runs and use a bit of common sense.
      06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
MyVi335i
Rep
Drives: Black 2009 335i coupe, Dinan 2

Thanks, I'm hoping that my tuning bug will have its fix after the bolt ons. Just making sure I'm not wasting my time and money with un unsuccessful set up
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
trufus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Shiv is running 573 whp on a stock AT and an upgraded single turbo. There's a thread in this forum about it.
Appreciate 0