E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Who has I-Drive and Navi--comments

05-18-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Who has I-Drive and Navi--comments

Just want to get a thread going on everyone that has the Idrive/navi package on the car and to get a taste of how its working for you and all the neat things you have found it can do--Im sure we can find out alot of interesting things.

So post up all your findings, how well ir works ect..... maybe even some picts of it in action (differant screenshots)

I dont have it myself as Im waiting for the AWD to come out but I will get the Idrive/navi for sure. Im sure plenty of us will have it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Some people will argue with me about this, but I think it is definitely worth getting, even with its $2000 price tag. Here's a synopsis of my feelings toward it.

The 325i is my first BMW, and this is the first time I've ever even seen the iDrive, let alone used it. I went out on a limb ordering it without using it before, but my feelings were: if it's an option, my car should be equipped with it. Granted, there are several options out there that I think are, well, kind of ridiculous. I won't name names, so to speak, but there are some options available I really find useless (on the other hand, others would say these options are absolutely necessary). It's all subjective, and it all comes down to personal preference and individual style. The iDrive, however, was one of those "absolute" options for me, even though I didn't know that much about it.

Let me just say that I'm 21 years old and I've more or less "mastered" the learning curve of the system, but I do think my grandparents (or even my parents) wouldn't have the patience to figure it out, and I think it would end up being something that they would have there, staring them in the face, but I don't think they'd ever use it. I don't want to be unfair towards the "technologically challenged" generation, because there are probably those who are two, maybe three times as old as I am who can use it and operate it faster and better than me. I'm just saying my parents have trouble working the VCR, if you know what I mean.

Though I love it, I'll be perfectly honest. iDrive is a maze of menus, which can be very distracting while driving. There's a lot of pushing and pulling, turning and twisting, and you really have to get used to it.

The first screen is a legal page where you have to push the iDrive knob to "accept" the T&C. This can be very annoying at first, because it's one additional step in the unlock door, open door, sit in car, close door, buckle safety belt, insert fob, put foot on brake, push "start" ignition button, then push iDrive knob (to accept) then put the shift into D/R. After a while it becomes second nature, but again, you get used to it. It may be a little difficult for those, like me, who are used to hopping in the car, turning the key, and then chirping out.

To navigate through the system, you pull the knob "down" to scroll down, and push "up" to scroll up. You also move left or right for other options that can be compared to a GUI toolbar found on Apple and Microsoft applications, like a "File - Edit - View - Help" kind of setup. Push to select, and turn CW or CCW to select (highlight) individual options. One thing I found really cool is when you reach the end of options to highlight, the knob knows not to allow you to turn it anymore.

If you don't like to navigate through all the screens, all you have to do is push the "talk" button on the steering wheel, and the voice activation will do all the work for you. Just say "Navigation" at the iDrive menu and it will take you to the map section. Then say "Map Facing North," for example, and wham-o. You have your map on screen. From what I understand, every option can be voice activated (except "zoom in" and "zoom out" for map view doesn't seem to be recognized), so if you don't like to scroll with the joystick, you can always use the voice activation.

The system is really awesome, though. You can check all your vehicle stats such as oil level, fluid level, tire pressure (not actual P.S.I., but it will tell you if you do indeed have a flat). Shoot, it even tells you if you, "Warning: Trunk Open" or "Warning: Fasten Safety Belt".

There are even more controls, like setting the interior climate, connecting cell phones, setting door locks and alarm (if equipped) properties, or you can even set a "speed limit" through iDrive. So say, for example, you set your car at 75 miles per hour. When you're out on the highway on a long road trip and you start to "zone out" and you exceed 75 miles per hour, an alarm will go off saying you're starting to go too fast (this, of course can be enabled/disabled, but will definitely help you avoid an unwanted speeding ticket.)

The manual clearly states there are many possible malfunctions you're likely to experience with the iDrive. Problems include the system loosing your position and trouble with the system reading the DVD. But I've only had one problem so far. The map disappeared, but after I read the manual and kept the car off for about 15 minutes, it started working fine again, and has been fine ever since (knock on wood). There are a lot of factors that can cause a problem with the system, such as your car has gone through an area that isn't on the map DVD, or your car going under a tunnel, but there's not a whole lot that can go wrong. Simply consult the manual for tips on troubleshooting, and if worse comes to worse, it's under a 4 year factory warranty.

All in all, I have nothing but good things to say about it. There's no guarantee you'll like it when you test drive a car with this, but as I've found, I can't ever get another BMW without the iDrive. I hope this review helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Excellent review. I very much appreciate it. And a good thread, also.

Can anyone comment of how the Navigation compares to the Navigation system in other manufacturers, say like Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.? I love the Lexus system, so if anyone can compare or contrast, that would help me. Also, if anyone can post pictures of the navigation system in "work", that would be very helpful.

The most useful feature of the Nav for me is when I'm going somewhere I've never been to and am unfamiliar with the route getting to this destination. Can someone post a how-to on setting a destination on-the-fly and post pictures of how the Nav screen guides you and also describe what the Nav systems says to you? Thanks very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
BMWChi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 (May 2)

I just got back from my Europe taking ED of my 330i. I ordered the Nav system and couldn't imagine the car without it now.

I spent a few days in each city I visited, but the idea was to be driving as much as possible. Started off in Munich of course, and drove to Milan, then to Cannes, and on to Carcassonne, then Sitges and finally ended up in Madrid. I relied 100% on the Nav system and did not have any maps with me. I easily entered each hotel address and started the journey. The nav system worked flawlessly. There were a couple times I didn't trust it and thought I was smarter - but I was quickly proved wrong. With the voice activation, you can start a nav journey even faster if you're just trying to get to, say Chicago. You can press the voice activation and say "Navigation" "Chicago, Illinois" The system will route you to the city center (I haven't tried this yet, but will when my car gets here).

You can also quickly change radio stations or CD tracks, or make a phone call with your bluetooth enabled phone through the voice activation.

You can easily change from one of the four main menu's to another by simply holding the iDrive controller for a couple seconds in the direction of the menu you are trying to access, or just press the voice activation button and say "Entertainment" or whichever menu you wish to get to. Another way to get there is to push the MENU button near the iDrive controller and then select the menu you wish. There are several different ways to access features so you can choose what is most comfortable for you.

The voice activation even lets you use several different phrases to access the same function.

The Nav/iDrive system certainly may not be important for everyone, but I agree with Sharp1183, I wouldn't even consider the car purchase without the Nav/iDrive system.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe

Can anyone comment of how the Navigation compares to the Navigation system in other manufacturers, say like Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.? I love the Lexus system, so if anyone can compare or contrast, that would help me. Also, if anyone can post pictures of the navigation system in "work", that would be very helpful.
Thanks, redstripe! I think the biggest problem with iDrive compared to other similar models, like Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti is that iDrive is controlled by a joystick, while I'm pretty sure Lexus and Acura both have touch screens. Touch screens are more convenient, in my opinion. Plus, Acura just came out with that new technology where it somehow detects where major traffic backups are and will tell you how to take alternate routes. I haven't seen this myself, but I heard about it.

I had a Clarion DVD player in my old car and it was touch screen. It was really nice and I got used to it, but it couldn't do as much via touch screen function as compared to the functions via hard buttons. This may or may not be the case with other models (Lexus, Acura) that have touch screen function, so I can only guess BMW thought you could get the most out of the system using a joystick. Here are some screen shots about what I mentioned earlier of the iDrive. They aren't the greatest and I couldn't control the flash, but they should give you a pretty good idea of what it can do.
Attached Images

Last edited by deutschmann59; 05-18-2005 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
pitbull436
Rep

I just picked up my 325i w/ Nav and iDrive and I'm pretty happy with it. I had heard numerous bad reviews about iDrive but once I got to use it in person, I realized it was quite easy to use, at least for anyone who is familiar with computers or any kind of MP3 player, etc.

I think most of the bad reviews have come from people who would be afraid to program their VCR or just have an attitude that you shouldn't have to use a computer to use your car. If you are one of those people, you won't enjoy iDrive. If you are familiar with computers and gadgets and like being able to program your car, you'll love iDrive.

iDrive by itself would definately not be worth $2000. I got it mostly for the Nav system. I was thinking of getting a Magellan Roadmate or similar GPS unit but I decided to get the BMW Nav System mainly because you get a much bigger screen, better reception, and its integrated into the car (power, audio, etc.). The combo of Nav w/ iDrive made it worth the 2K for me.

It will take you a few minutes to understand the iDrive menu layout (when to twist versus when to push) but once you've figured it out it is pretty cool. Besides the Nav, you can access more detailed service info, more detailed audio options (like an equilizer if you have Logic 7), and you can program various things like door locking, pathway lighting, etc. Basically everything you would normally have to take your car into the shop to get programmed, you can do through iDrive (except daytime running lamps for some reason). It also lets you program two of the steering wheel buttons to do whatever you want (although you only have a list of like 6 options).

The iDrive controller also has force feedback. So when you are scrolling through items you can feel a little "pulse" each time you pass an item. When you get to the end of a list, you feel a lot of resistance and can't turn the wheel anymore. You can look through the manual (posted on this site) to get an idea of what you can access w/ iDrive. It has most of the screenshots in there.

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more stuff in the iDrive menus because it has lots of potential. Once you've gotten over the initial "wow" factor, the iDrive seems a little limited. The "Climate" section is pretty pathetic: just Vent Control and Sensitivity. I thought it would have an option to control the heated seats but I guess not. I don't have a bluetooth phone so the "Communications" section is kinda useless to me as well. They could make iDrive a whole lot cooler if they added some more menus to let you control even more stuff. Some kind of trending graphs for fuel consumption or average speed would also be cool.

You can still access most of the car controls without using iDrive if you prefer. The only exception is flipping through radio stations which you need to use the GUI for. But since you can program all your station presets and then use the steering wheel buttons, this isn't a big deal. I just hook up my iPod to the AUX port and don't use the radio much anyway.

I've only used the Magallen Roadmate GPS and the GPS units in the Toyota Prius before. Even though the Prius has a touch screen, I like the BMW version better. You don't get smudge marks on the screen, it feels more responsive, and doing things like scrolling around the map or zooming in/out is MUCH faster on the BMW. Also when I go off route, the BMW seems to be MUCH quicker at calculating new routes. The perspective map view is also pretty cool.

I wasn't expecting much out of the Voice Command so I haven't been that dissappointed with it. At first it seems like it doesn't recognized 75% of what you say but once you learn to use the exact words and pronounciation it expects it works a little better. I think it works great for particular usages like if you have the Nav screen up and want to change the radio station without messing with the iDrive. But if you're expecting to do everything through the voice, you will probably be dissapointed.

I mostly got iDrive for the Nav system and I'm pretty happy with that part of it. The rest of iDrive is ok and its advantages far outweight its disadvantages IMHO. If you mostly want the BMW Nav, I would recommend getting it. If you don't really care for the Nav and mostly just want the iDrive features, $2K is probably a bit high for what you get.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #7
LWL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Garage List
In those navi pics, the one with CD playing, I saw there's an option for AUX. DO you guess think we can control the ipod ? I know we can't see the CD/song title, how about the controls like skip, previous track etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
BMWChi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 (May 2)

LWL, you can't control the iPod, but you can connect it to the AUX port in the arm rest and play through the Audio system. You will have to open the arm rest each time you wish to skip, previous track, etc. Hopefully they will create a connection method that will allow control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls and show the track names etc. Currently, for the E90, they do not offer the same connector in the glove compartment that they sold for the previous models.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWChi
LWL, you can't control the iPod, but you can connect it to the AUX port in the arm rest and play through the Audio system. You will have to open the arm rest each time you wish to skip, previous track, etc. Hopefully they will create a connection method that will allow control of the iPod through the steering wheel controls and show the track names etc. Currently, for the E90, they do not offer the same connector in the glove compartment that they sold for the previous models.
i hope so too...but just go to radio shack and get yourself like a 6 foot chord, and then you can just have the ipod on the passenger seat,...saves from having to open the armrest all the time...

thats what i did anyways...

but i really do hope that we will be able to upgrade to a fully idrive controlled ipod adapter in the future....i really want to be able to see songs titles on my idrive screen...

p.s.

I am LOVING my idrive....i have not had one problem at all finding my way around...i have heard the horror stories...and those people must not be much of computer people...cause it really is easy to use....and the voice command is great...but it is very very sensitive...if you have people in the car...dont use it much cause if they are talking the system wont understand you and make you look dumb....

overall...I LOVE IT
      05-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I ordered the nav/i-drive in my 330i and have been disappointed by the controller malfunctioning. I had the car in last week and am waiting for the part to be delivered. The controller will not press down, which pretty much makes it useless. I can't even tune the radio. The rest of the car has been flawless and if they get it fixed the first time, I'll be happy. But it has been a bummer to have trouble right out of the gate.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe

The most useful feature of the Nav for me is when I'm going somewhere I've never been to and am unfamiliar with the route getting to this destination. Can someone post a how-to on setting a destination on-the-fly and post pictures of how the Nav screen guides you and also describe what the Nav systems says to you? Thanks very much.

I used the land rover navi. Man that thing really sucks (That is by far that is probably the worst one). I also used my friends navi in his acura tsx. It not too bad in that car. But it has a lot of buttons/ touch screen options. You kinda have to know which buttons to press to do whatever. I haven't used idrive a lot because I only played with it at the dealer. (Can't wait for mine ) But it kinda like a blackberry. You scroll through the menus and select. I think once you remember the paths to everything it kinda easy. You don't have to figure out, I have to press button 1, then screen, then button two down there and then touch screen again, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #12
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWChi
Not if you get a radio controlled ipod remote. Won't get the name displayed on the screen. I guess it turns it into a shuffle. LOL that piece of crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Nathan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.0

here's the real scary part about iDrive, WAIT FOR IT:

It runs on Windows CE, yes the same version that powers Smart Phones and MS Pocket PCs. That could explain some of its problems. But overall i think it works pretty well.

I believe it is called Windows CE for Automotive Telematics or something like that. I guess we will all help Mr. Gates get a little richer.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #14
JBOO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

I have idrive on my E60 and absolutely love it. IMO, it's definitely worth $2K.

BTW, in the E60 you can control your heated seats. Maybe they scaled back some of the options in the E90?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
booyah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Great reviews guys, keep them coming---just what we need and I agree with all of you. If you know your way around gadgets and computers you should have no problem, but like my parents and the wifes would not even fool with it..LOL

Me being a computer freak and love the newest technology and gadgets, Im all for it, I can play with it while the wifes cruising driving
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #16
CorporalCarrot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 BMW M3

Folks

This thread is far too unanimous so for the sake of balance I'm gonna say that I hate the iDrive and think it is the most pointless, annoying "innovation" that BMW has ever made.

To me, its a solution looking for a problem; fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place. I mean, before iDrive existed who ever cursed their cars for having to push a single button or twiddle some simple knob to accomplish some task? I certainly never did (especially with BMW's which even when the Japs and Mercedes to some extent went totally overboard with button mania, still had relatively clean uncluttered dash layout).

But iDrive would be fine if it actually sped up or made it more convenient to do things. Here it fails miserably, since I can't think of a single thing which is easier or quicker to accomplish with iDrive than with old buttons and knobs (now granted I have not used iDrive on the E90, my only experience with it is on a 530d). Thats not to say you can't learn the system and become proficient with it. You can, its not that difficult. But even when you have become proficient with it, I still think the old way is better and faster. BMW's are, after all, supposed to be the ultimate driving machine, and anything that causes you to spend more time fiddling with a computer and your eyes off the road is surely missing the whole point.

Oh and before anyone says I am not tech literate etc etc let it be known that I am a tech freak in most respects. I love gadgets of all sorts, have 4 pc's in the house (2 self built with Stage 1 gentoo Linux installs ) and its not for lack of understanding. IMO its just pointless and the day it becomes compulsory on the 3, may be the day I buy my last BMW.

C
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
sierramadre
Rep
Drives:

The Coproral makes some valid points although he seems a little bitter. I think the really cool innovation is the voice activated system which now controls, navigation, climate control, cd, radio,etc. It allows Idrive to simply become the backup system. With the new voice activation technology you just tell the car what to do and it will comply. To me, that is a major step forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
flyboy-sa
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330 ... almost

hi Guys. One questions for you people with idrive and navi. Are you able to play MP3 cd's? I cant on my 330 I have tried playing the Cd in my cd shuttle or in the radio unit itself in the car and the cd with the MP3 cd is always just "greyed out". The mp3 cd does however work in a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy-sa
hi Guys. One questions for you people with idrive and navi. Are you able to play MP3 cd's? I cant on my 330 I have tried playing the Cd in my cd shuttle or in the radio unit itself in the car and the cd with the MP3 cd is always just "greyed out". The mp3 cd does however work in a Z4.
On the US E90, an mp3 cd should play with iDrive, only if you have the 6 disc BMW changer installed, which is an accessory. The iDrive will NOT play mp3 cds in the cd drive in the dash. However, the original factory radio (with no iDrive) will play mp3 cds in the dash. What do you mean by "cd shuttle". If you have the changer, mp3 cds should play. There is some question about a professional and regular radio, but I don't know that much about it. I haven't seen any options like it here in the US, so maybe it's just a German option??? Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #20
haroldho
Rep
Drives: 1987 schwinn

One major advantage of the idrive is that you can control everything without having to lift your hand from the armrest to the console. At least for me, all I have to do is tilt my hand down and feel for the idrive knob. Personally, I really like the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #21
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
On the US E90, an mp3 cd should play with iDrive, only if you have the 6 disc BMW changer installed, which is an accessory. The iDrive will NOT play mp3 cds in the cd drive in the dash. However, the original factory radio (with no iDrive) will play mp3 cds in the dash. What do you mean by "cd shuttle". If you have the changer, mp3 cds should play. There is some question about a professional and regular radio, but I don't know that much about it. I haven't seen any options like it here in the US, so maybe it's just a German option??? Anyone know?
In US it is the PRO and you have no choice of which one to get. Yeah the mp3 thing does suck if you have navi, but I guess the external aux makes up a bit of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2005, 07:00 PM   #22
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

I don't dislike my iDrive, and find it pretty simple to use after u get the hang of it (which takes about 1-2 days). But I must admit, it does make the process longer, and aside from that it lags quite often, so it makes it even longer in that sense. The voice activation thing takes a while to recognize what you ask it to do. I dont mind it, but i definitely could do without it and not complain. I just got it because I like the look of the double hump dash, but definitely dont regret getting it.
Appreciate 0