E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My first misfire. Im so excited!

06-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Pete Schweaty
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 750li

My first misfire. Im so excited!

Well, I have had JB4 and DCI for about a month now . . . loving every second of it. So Im out and about today and come to an empty stretch of straight road. Im doing about 50 and goose it. Im in third and when I reach about 5500 RPM the car thumps and a CEL light comes on.

After that, the car was shuddering, like it was missing on a cylinder. After about 30 seconds, CEL goes away and car goes back to normal. When I got to where I was going the code came up as "cylinder misfirings, cylinder 2".

As this is my first time I was hoping someone could help me out. Is the shuddering after a misfire normal? Does the DME shut down that cylinder for safety reasons, hence the felling like it was missing?

Is this indicitave of a bigger problem, or can it be just a fluke? In other words, will it go away or happen every time I put a heavy load on the motor until I replace the coil or plug?

Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Yep, shuts the cylinder down. Turnoff the engine and back on to make it drive able.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
Well, I have had JB4 and DCI for about a month now . . . loving every second of it. So Im out and about today and come to an empty stretch of straight road. Im doing about 50 and goose it. Im in third and when I reach about 5500 RPM the car thumps and a CEL light comes on.

After that, the car was shuddering, like it was missing on a cylinder. After about 30 seconds, CEL goes away and car goes back to normal. When I got to where I was going the code came up as "cylinder misfirings, cylinder 2".

As this is my first time I was hoping someone could help me out. Is the shuddering after a misfire normal? Does the DME shut down that cylinder for safety reasons, hence the felling like it was missing?

Is this indicitave of a bigger problem, or can it be just a fluke? In other words, will it go away or happen every time I put a heavy load on the motor until I replace the coil or plug?

Thanks for all the help.
It's going to continue to happen and only get worse (meaning it will be easier to reproduce). Start the trouble shooting sequence. Swap coils see if it moves, if no swap plug see if it moves, if no replace injector.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post

Thanks for all the help.
It's going to continue to happen and only get worse (meaning it will be easier to reproduce). Start the trouble shooting sequence. Swap coils see if it moves, if no swap plug see if it moves, if no replace injector.
If all above fails, intake valve cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
The shuddering, shaking & lack of power are completely normal. Start but shuffling things around, when you start buying things go with Spark Plugs, Coils & if that doesn't fix it Fuel Injectors. If you're only misfiring on one cylinder, it'll be really easy to diagnose.
Appreciate 0