E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Short in Aux-In USB Connector

06-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Short in Aux-In USB Connector

I did some searching, but couldn't exactly find what I was looking for. Basically, my aux in connector is shorting out, making it so that one side of my speakers doesn't work. I can prompt it by wiggling the aux in plug. I've done some research, and it looks like part # 61319129652 will fix my problem. What I'm really looking for are some installation tips, as far as how to replace this. I've read some posts about going in through the rear AC vents - is this the best way? Is there any way to access the above part from the center console itself?

Thanks for the help.
      06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

The part clips in from the center console but you'll have to open up the back (air vents) to access the clips to release it. Youll need to pull the duct out to gain room. Once the clips are released it pull it into the center console and you should get just enough slack in the cables to release their clips.

Plug cables into new part and pop it back down into the slot. Close vents and done.
      06-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
The part clips in from the center console but you'll have to open up the back (air vents) to access the clips to release it. Youll need to pull the duct out to gain room. Once the clips are released it pull it into the center console and you should get just enough slack in the cables to release their clips.

Plug cables into new part and pop it back down into the slot. Close vents and done.
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is there anything special involved in removing the vents?
      06-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Awesome, exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is there anything special involved in removing the vents?
Pull back cover from the top edge. Release clips at lower left and right by pushing toward center. Carefull here - I partially broke one side on mine. If you get get a trim tool in between the back cover and the console body it will help to release the clips.

BTW, do you have just the Aux or do you have the Aux / USB connection? The part # for the Aux / USB is 84109237653.
      06-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pull back cover from the top edge. Release clips at lower left and right by pushing toward center. Carefull here - I partially broke one side on mine. If you get get a trim tool in between the back cover and the console body it will help to release the clips.

BTW, do you have just the Aux or do you have the Aux / USB connection? The part # for the Aux / USB is 84109237653.
Thanks. Yeah I meant that one but I copied over the wrong product # from when I was searching earlier this morning.
      06-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

BTW, I replaced mine because it kept randomly dropping my iPod connection. I would have to unplug and replug the USB to get it working
      06-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BTW, I replaced mine because it kept randomly dropping my iPod connection. I would have to unplug and replug the USB to get it working
Yeah, I'm going to ask my dealer since I have CPO, but I'm guessing it won't be covered based on the terms. Since the part is only ~40 bucks I'm not too worried about it, though. Just didn't want to bash up my console not knowing what I was doing.
      06-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Yeah, I'm going to ask my dealer since I have CPO, but I'm guessing it won't be covered based on the terms. Since the part is only ~40 bucks I'm not too worried about it, though. Just didn't want to bash up my console not knowing what I was doing.
I'm still under warranty but I didn't want to bother trying to get them to acknowledge and fix the issue since it was intermittent. It's been fine since though I relocated mine loosely under the center console in order to run the cables for my dash mounted iPhone setup. I have a link in my sig if you are interested in seeing what I did.
      06-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm still under warranty but I didn't want to bother trying to get them to acknowledge and fix the issue since it was intermittent. It's been fine since though I relocated mine loosely under the center console in order to run the cables for my dash mounted iPhone setup. I have a link in my sig if you are interested in seeing what I did.
Nice project, very clean. I currently have an android phone but want to get an I-Phone next. Might take a look at this DIY again once I do.