E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Porter cable 7424

07-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
shark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Porter cable 7424

Hi, i am looking to buy Porter cable 7424 (including the pads) and can't decide which one (5 inches or 6 inches in Diameter). Also, at the same time, what is the best product for polish (light swirl marks) and final glaze?
Do you also recommend to buy the cable as a package (including the pads) or pads separately?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

shark,

Good choice in investing in the Porter Cable. You'll be very pleased with the unit as it will save you time, energy as well as increase your results.

As far as the pads are concerned, I don't recommend going larger than 6.5" with the PC. The smaller the pad, the more bite you'll get out of it. That's why detailers will often spot treat with a 4" pad for deeper imperfections.

Right now we have a great deal going on 8 Lake Country Pads until the end of June. This would be a great compliment to a PC with the proper velcro backing plate.

As far as a finishing polish, it's going to be tough to argue that anything out there tops Menzerna PO106ff. IMO (and the opinion of many professionals) it is the premier finishing polish on the market. The best part is, it has enough bite to tackle some light - medium imperfections without having to follow up with a less aggressive polish.

As for a glaze, it really depends on what you plan on using on top of the glaze. If you are planning on using a sealant directly over the glaze, I recommend Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze. If you plan on using a natural carnauba wax over the glaze, then ClearKote Red Moose Glaze is a better option. Sealants have a tough time bonding to the RMG which is why the FTG is a better option when using a sealant, however, a carnauba wax layers on top of the RMG fine creating exceptional depth and gloss.

If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask. Be sure to keep us posted on how you make out when you do your first detail with the PC.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
shark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
shark,

Good choice in investing in the Porter Cable. You'll be very pleased with the unit as it will save you time, energy as well as increase your results.

George
George, thanks for your reply and based on your recommendation i will go with 5" diameter cable. One more question please: up until now i used all-in -one klasse and on top of that i beleive i used Klasse sealant.What is the defference between sealant and glaze? Sorry if i ask to many question,s just trying to understand between different products and follow the correct procedure.I used Klasse 5 years in a row before.

George

Last edited by shark; 07-04-2007 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0