E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > paint / clear coat damage??

11-07-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
E90FANS
Rep
Drives: E90 325

paint / clear coat damage??

When I pickup my car couple weeks ago, I noticed there are couple paint chips on the trunk and the hood. When I mention it to the ca, she added a due bill for me to bring it back to the dealer to "buff it off".

So while I dropped off the car for my idrive software update, I told the service advisor to take care of the chip as well. When I pickup the car I noticed there are some tiny "white" spots on the paint and I immediate shows it to the service manager and he asked me to leave them the car, he just called and sounds like there is some clear coat damage to the paint and they might have to repaint the hood and trunk. ..If I knew they will do this to my car, I will probably just leave the chips alone, the worst part is they still try to figure out who's fault is this..............and I might out without my car for a few more days...advice anyone???
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Repaint body panels? Yikes. Body shops usually do an excellent job but I would ask if there is any less drastic fix that will have good results. If not, let them repaint, it will be a couple days but you won’t have any touch-ups.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90FANS
When I pickup my car couple weeks ago, I noticed there are couple paint chips on the trunk and the hood. When I mention it to the ca, she added a due bill for me to bring it back to the dealer to "buff it off".

So while I dropped off the car for my idrive software update, I told the service advisor to take care of the chip as well. When I pickup the car I noticed there are some tiny "white" spots on the paint and I immediate shows it to the service manager and he asked me to leave them the car, he just called and sounds like there is some clear coat damage to the paint and they might have to repaint the hood and trunk. ..If I knew they will do this to my car, I will probably just leave the chips alone, the worst part is they still try to figure out who's fault is this..............and I might out without my car for a few more days...advice anyone???
Very unfortunate, but look at the bright side: they will give you freshly painted panels, with no chips, scratches, swirls or divots. Yes, you'll be without your car for an extra day or two, but in the long run that's not a huge deal. You're lucky you caught it early so that it will get repainted on their dime: clearcoat damage is actually relatively common, but most people discover it after they've had the car for a while and it is impossible to prove that the damage is not a result of something they did! Just make sure they understand that the work has to pass muster, and that you expect the paint job to be waranted for at least your lease period/warantee period, so that if the paint bubbles or peels they are the ones that take care of it!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

I found a tiny white spot the day I picked up my car. I didn't notice it at the dealer it wasn't til later. I took it back to the dealer and they tried to polish it out and couldn't. They said that it seems to be under the clear coat. Coincidentally, they're having these people called Miracle Coat or something, I can't remember, come by the dealership next week and they will get them to try to fix it.

So my question: If it's under the clear coat, how do they get rid of it? Is it an automatic repaint job? It's on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
i've nad almost eh exact same problem with my car. the dealer is bring the car to the body shop soon to get the spot re-painted / re-cleared and blended with other areas of the car. beleive me i know the feeling. just make sure that you are 100% happy with the work or make sure they fix it again. I have to wait on average 2 weeks to get a loaner car though so needless to say its been a long wait till i've been getting things fixed
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82
i've nad almost eh exact same problem with my car. the dealer is bring the car to the body shop soon to get the spot re-painted / re-cleared and blended with other areas of the car. beleive me i know the feeling. just make sure that you are 100% happy with the work or make sure they fix it again. I have to wait on average 2 weeks to get a loaner car though so needless to say its been a long wait till i've been getting things fixed
So how did it turn out? Does it look like there was never any flaw to begin with?

Here is mine - white spot top left corner:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0