E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Lowering Springs Question

06-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
JesterEXW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i, Space Gray / Black

Lowering Springs Question

Any recommendations on some springs that give a 1.5" drop and maintains decent performance and as near stock ride quality that is possible? Any downsides to springs that you can point out would be great too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Dropping these cars 1.5" is about a half-inch too far to maintain optimal suspension geometry. You'll be introducing all kinds of weird handling characteristics.

That's the least of your worries, however; ride quality will suffer tremendously. The stock shocks don't have that much travel range as it is and dropping it 1.5 inches!? Hitting minor bumps will now be like hitting land mines.
Not to mention you'll wear out your stock shocks, since they aren't designed to handle stiffer lowering springs, in a matter of months.

Look into an entry-level coilover kit like KW V1 or ST V1, they are a matched shock and spring set that will let you lower the car while maintaining some semblance of ride quality.
      06-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
JesterEXW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Dropping these cars 1.5" is about a half-inch too far to maintain optimal suspension geometry. You'll be introducing all kinds of weird handling characteristics.

That's the least of your worries, however; ride quality will suffer tremendously. The stock shocks don't have that much travel range as it is and dropping it 1.5 inches!? Hitting minor bumps will now be like hitting land mines.
Not to mention you'll wear out your stock shocks, since they aren't designed to handle stiffer lowering springs, in a matter of months.

Look into an entry-level coilover kit like KW V1 or ST V1, they are a matched shock and spring set that will let you lower the car while maintaining some semblance of ride quality.
That was the other option I was considering but the price gap was huge so figured I would see if Springs were even a viable option. I've gone with coilovers on all my other cars so I am completely unfamiliar with springs. You think 1" would be do-able or still not worth it given the issues?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterEXW View Post
That was the other option I was considering but the price gap was huge so figured I would see if Springs were even a viable option. I've gone with coilovers on all my other cars so I am completely unfamiliar with springs. You think 1" would be do-able or still not worth it given the issues?
The price difference really isn't that big when you consider the fact you'll have to replace your shocks - those stiffer lowering springs will kill them quickly.

The springs ...
+Price of the springs
+Install
+Alignment

Then a few months later ...
+Price of new shocks
+Install
+Alignment

Works out to be cheaper to do it all up front, pay for one install and one alignment.
I personally can't vouch for KW V1 or ST V1 but a *lot* of people use them around here. The ST are cheaper by a few hundred. People that are just using them to lower the car are satisfied in almost all cases.
      06-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
JesterEXW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sounds like I will be seeking out a decent group buy for coilovers to come along then, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterEXW View Post
Sounds like I will be seeking out a decent group buy for coilovers to come along then, thanks for the info!
I agree with the other poster in that if you are looking to replace springs you also NEED to replace your shocks with a shock system designed for the higher spring rate and shorter springs. However, IMO unless you track your car and require the adjustability that a coilover set-up provides they are overkill and the ride will tend to be more punishing. KW's have their problems (do a search re noises and their customer service sucks) and other JDM co's (e.g. Sonic) will have spring rates that are substantially higher and unbalanced relative to your car's overall distribution and suspension geometry. There are a lot of cheap coilover set-ups out there that will rust out on you and not provide the refined ride it sounds like you are looking for.

Consider a more simple kit like Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni FSD shocks or Eibach's Pro System spring/damper kit.

http://performance-suspension.eibach...tem__step_1_3_

Eibach springs will provide a more stock-like ride, mitigate body roll, squatting etc.

Alternatively you can reach out to Harold at HP Autoworks and he will set you you with a good spring/shock combo.

Point being do not just focus on coilovers otherwise I am afraid you will miss out on other quality set-ups that may you serve you just as well or better for less $.

Last edited by cssnms; 06-12-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

tein s tech give you the perfect stance, even with fender in front and rear
1.4 0.75
Appreciate 0