E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RWD vs AWD

06-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Vi4Life
Rep
Drives: looking for one

How fast is the RWD 335i vs the AWD 335i from a 25 roll would they be neck and neck or would the RWD take it...just curious I drove a AWD 335i auto I would like to get the manual RWD but it was not available at the dealership but I kinda like the AWD because it would be nice for my area (I live in the Maryland, DC and Va area) I'm just trying to see which ones would be faster stock for stock and has more modding capability...I'd buy one of the cars on the forum but I'm doing a trade in (2011 GTI candy white 3dr hatchback navi package...incase you know someone wanting to buy a GTI)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
4x4 will be better off the line for a drag but due to the increased transmission losses in the drivetrain the RWD would take it on a roll
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Conki9788
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Red Devil

Anything after the launch the RWD is going to take it. The AWD is about 200 lbs heavier. And the RWD is much more mod friendly I believe. I am no expert though. I did have an 07 e90 AWD, now I own a 2010 RWD e92. I greatly prefer the RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Deadwrong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I also live in the DMV and in my opinion our winters aren't typically severe/long enough for me to consider a AWD over a RWD. My advise get the RWD and don't look back.
      06-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Both are fast enough when traction is not a problem, but on icy and snowy roads AWD beats RWD by bus lengths.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Both are fast enough when traction is not a problem, but on icy and snowy roads AWD beats RWD by bus lengths.

No.

Ice = no traction, period.

Snow = get dedicated snow tires.

I live in upstate NY on Lake Ontario (think "lake effect snow") and drive a 6MT RWD car with dedicated snows. The biggest issue I have is clearance. If you have an AWD with dedicated snows then yes, you will trounce pretty much everyone in the snow. I had a Chrysler 300C AWD that had all-season tires and my BMW with dedicated snows is better.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
No.

I live in upstate NY on Lake Ontario (think "lake effect snow") and drive a 6MT RWD car with dedicated snows. The biggest issue I have is clearance. If you have an AWD with dedicated snows then yes, you will trounce pretty much everyone in the snow. I had a Chrysler 300C AWD that had all-season tires and my BMW with dedicated snows is better.
All seasons are crap. All cars should run dedicated snow tires, both AWDs and RWDs.

I run the best quality studded winter tires there is. Traction on ice is pretty ok. However, acceleration is still quicker in summer than in winter. Especially in case of my RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
RWD > AWD, in all aspects you're considering: stock vs. stock, modifying potential, driving characteristics, etc.

An RWD will obviously be lighter b/c it's not handicapped w/ AWD drivetrain components. The other problem with an AWD is aftermarket mods. While a tune, FMIC, exhaust & intake are all the same, the Downpipes are going to be a headache. B/c of clearance issues w/ the subframe, DPs on an AWD car is A) going to be a nightmare, B) will be signficantly more expensive if done by a shop and C) you are going to be forced to pay a premium for Xi DPs.

If there's no significant arguement behind getting an Xi (I live in NJ & if the snow is that bad, I just don't go out), then try searching for a RWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
All seasons are crap. All cars should run dedicated snow tires, both AWDs and RWDs.

I run the best quality studded winter tires there is. Traction on ice is pretty ok. However, acceleration is still quicker in summer than in winter. Especially in case of my RWD.
You haven't tried the continental DWS then.
      06-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
RWD > AWD, in all aspects you're considering: stock vs. stock, modifying potential, driving characteristics, etc.

An RWD will obviously be lighter b/c it's not handicapped w/ AWD drivetrain components. The other problem with an AWD is aftermarket mods. While a tune, FMIC, exhaust & intake are all the same, the Downpipes are going to be a headache. B/c of clearance issues w/ the subframe, DPs on an AWD car is A) going to be a nightmare, B) will be signficantly more expensive if done by a shop and C) you are going to be forced to pay a premium for Xi DPs.

If there's no significant arguement behind getting an Xi (I live in NJ & if the snow is that bad, I just don't go out), then try searching for a RWD.
i love how every one forgets fuel consumption.

but the rest are all there, you pay a penalty for being incapable of swapping to winter tires. and you pay that, over and over again.
      06-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

If you are going to tune or do FBO, you are going to have trouble keeping traction when you are going hard on the throttle. Even with just a tune, without an LSD on RWD, power can easily overshadow traction. In that case, maybe AWD is a better bet, but only for that reason. I seriously wouldn't worry about snow in your area, so if that's your thinking for AWD I would say a big NO.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
I currently have a 2008 AT e92 335xi and 2007 AT e90 335i, so my opinion may be more qualified than anyone elses here since I drive each one of them practically every day.

RWD is not greater than AWD in every way. I got my xi DPs for $420 new. The drivetrain losses are greater with AWD. Your aftermarket options for AWD are also more limited, but prices are much better than they used to be. Either car can me made extremely fast for extremely cheap. The xi will invariably be faster around town stop light to stop light unless you actually run into a very skilled driver, which doesnt happen very often. If I really want to abuse my xi, I can cut 0-60 times that RWD people can only wish for, especially without dedicated drag tires.
Overall, I like the RWD better. More aftermarket options, better gas mileage, less drivetrain loss, etc
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #13
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjasper
If you are going to tune or do FBO, you are going to have trouble keeping traction when you are going hard on the throttle. Even with just a tune, without an LSD on RWD, power can easily overshadow traction. In that case, maybe AWD is a better bet, but only for that reason. I seriously wouldn't worry about snow in your area, so if that's your thinking for AWD I would say a big NO.
This is why I got the xi. I've spent less on all of my power mods than LSD would cost and never have a problem putting power to the ground. 19psi launches with 3 meth nozzles and race gas gives a very exhilarating feeling you wont find in many if any RWD cars. Roll races are somewhat of a let down though. An option to disengage the AWD after 2nd gear would be a perfect compromise between maximum off the line traction and minimal drivetrain loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi4Life View Post
How fast is the RWD 335i vs the AWD 335i from a 25 roll would they be neck and neck or would the RWD take it...just curious I drove a AWD 335i auto I would like to get the manual RWD but it was not available at the dealership but I kinda like the AWD because it would be nice for my area (I live in the Maryland, DC and Va area) I'm just trying to see which ones would be faster stock for stock and has more modding capability...I'd buy one of the cars on the forum but I'm doing a trade in (2011 GTI candy white 3dr hatchback navi package...incase you know someone wanting to buy a GTI)
If they are both stock, the RWD would probably edge it out from a 25mph roll, but not by much... But fully modded, it would be a different story IMO
As for modding, the only thing that would be a factor, money and install wise, are the downpipes. There are a couple companies that make them and they are high quality, so its not like you don't have any options at all... Other then that, everything else is pretty much the same.
I know I'm very happy I chose my xi after driving it though a Chicago winter on all-season tires, and being able to launch the car hard in the rain without spinning the tires, even while going around a corner, and being able to pull 1.59 60's at the drag strip on the same all-season tires is a big win for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B005T3D-G View Post
4x4 will be better off the line for a drag but due to the increased transmission losses in the drivetrain the RWD would take it on a roll
I believe this is true, at least for stock cars anyway. But if we're talking FBO (since he mentioned modding) anything below a 30mph roll, I bet the RWD will still spin and the xi will take it... not to mention if the roads are anything but ideal, like being very cold, dirty, wet, or even just damp where traction would a big problem for a FBO RWD car trying to go WOT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
No.

IMO, with the right all-season tires, you will not need dedicated snow tires with the xi, at least I didn't have any problems in the Chicago area... even clearance wasn't much of an issue, as I was dragging the bottom of the car in many places and I even plowed some snow with my front bumper (I had snow packed in the lower grill) and I never even had to rock the car back-n-forth, let alone get stuck!

Quote:
As someone else said, I guess you haven't tried the Conti's or even the General G-Max AS-03's like mine? Like I mentioned above, my tires work great in EVERY condition I've thrown at them... but maybe its just because of the xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post

Modifying potential of the xi is not that big of a deal vs the RWD. Almost all the mods/installs are the same except the downpipes, and there are a couple companies that make very nice ones for the xi, even if they are a little more money, its not that big of a deal. And the install isn't really a nightmare like everyone makes it out to be. I installed mine in my garage, by myself, with the car on jack stands in under 4 hours.

In the end, the OP should chose what they want and need for the conditions... But I know I'm glad I picked the xi over a RWD, because I've had many RWD cars before and I had finally had enough of the traction issues in all conditions but warm dry pavement. I love how I can drive my car year round in ALL conditions, dry, damp, rain, snow, even the drag strip, with just one set of tires and never have traction issues
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Depends on your climate more than anything. THere are plenty of aftermarket mods for each, and most are the same for both (suspension aside, which there are now tons of options for each).

If you drive in rain, snow or ice a lot, get the AWD. THe RWD is basically one-wheel drive unless you spring for an upgraded rear limited slip differential (LSD). No level of snow tires on RWD are going to help you corner and avoid problems like AWD will in inclement weather. I watch RWD BMWs all over the road every time we get an inch of snow. I've driven them with good tires. It's not even close. the AWD, particularly with DSC on simply dominates all conditions without qualification. It's point and shoot, no matter what, and an absolute blast for the driving enthusiast. I live in very, very hilly areas, which is also a good reason to think AWD over RWD. Even in wet leaves it makes a massive difference.

The performance difference is really negligable. I've driven both, tuned and stock, and anyone telling you they feel a difference is totally full of crap. If you're in SoCal, get the RWD, and upgrade your LSD and tires first.

Good luck with the purchase. You'll love this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #16
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Anyone who says rwd is as good as awd in snowy/icy/wet conditions are just missing it all, you just don't have enough bad conditions. I've had both i's and xi's, and seriously, in winter, there is just no comparaison.
Performance wise, there is not a big enough difference to buy a i vs an xi if you have a real winter, unless you really want that 1 second faster 60-130.
With 400whp, even awd will snap your neck in the seat, and even at 60+ mph.
      06-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Get rwd! Its not bad in the snow with snow tires. and same HP to HP RWD will win.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
You haven't tried the continental DWS then.
+1, I purposely went into a field full of snow to try to get stuck in my S4, no luck, those things work well in deep snow with AWD.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
Anyone who says rwd is as good as awd in snowy/icy/wet conditions are just missing it all, you just don't have enough bad conditions. I've had both i's and xi's, and seriously, in winter, there is just no comparaison.
Performance wise, there is not a big enough difference to buy a i vs an xi if you have a real winter, unless you really want that 1 second faster 60-130.
With 400whp, even awd will snap your neck in the seat, and even at 60+ mph.

I can't believe people are comparing it as well. AWD will ALWAYS have acceleration traction advantage with all things equal.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
Im looking to trade/sell my AWD for a RWD, mainly because of that 30-130 is not fast enough and also worrying about Transfer Case, so now im looking for a coupe n54 6mt rwd.
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #21
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

RWD is better any time it isn't traction limited. The more power you make the more often it will be.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
I can't believe people are comparing it as well. AWD will ALWAYS have acceleration traction advantage with all things equal.
honestly awd is only cool in the rain. In california idk why you would need awd. but places in the east coast where it rains or snows... its dry for most of the year. rwd can launch just as well as awd.
Appreciate 0