E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Need help with OEM front suspension!!

06-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

To give some background info, my car had a minor accident on the passenger front wheel..
The control arm, upper and lower and steering arm was replaced. Rim was also replaced.

From what i could see, the suspnesion spring and strut was not changed and the brake/disc wasnt changed.

I noticed today that there are marks on the strut tower like the bolts arent in place, and this small nipple on the side the car was hit is missing (circled in red) should it be there?
Is it possble those marks under the nuts, are from when the car was hit? the suspension moved slightly?

This is the driver side with the nipple in place and the bolts unmoved with no marks.

What is this nipple for? should i go to the shop that fixed my car and have something replaced?
Car drives fine, straight, handles good?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

that is the alignment pin. It looks like it was removed so that they could adjust the camber settings. It appears they adjusted that side outward, possibly because something is still slightly bent.

that's assuming they did an alignment though, and didn't just put stuff back together without checking alignment. I guess it could have been knocked out by the impact, but I haven't heard of that happening, you'd think you would have had to replace the strut if the impact was hard enough to do that..

Call the shop and ask them if they removed the pin to re-align the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y
that is the alignment pin. It looks like it was removed so that they could adjust the camber settings. It appears they adjusted that side outward, possibly because something is still slightly bent.

that's assuming they did an alignment though, and didn't just put stuff back together without checking alignment. I guess it could have been knocked out by the impact, but I haven't heard of that happening, you'd think you would have had to replace the strut if the impact was hard enough to do that..

Call the shop and ask them if they removed the pin to re-align the car.
Thanks for the reply Mike..

From what i know after the suspension parts were replaced, the car was def. sent for alignment.
      06-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Bump anyone else with feedback?

Also to add.. The car drives fine from what i can tell. straight, no wobble, no shaking, etc.
      06-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
Nothing to worry about. It is very normal/common to drill out the alignment pin when doing a front end alignment, in order to adjust camber within specs. They did the same to my car when I got an alignment and I never hit anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
Nothing to worry about. It is very normal/common to drill out the alignment pin when doing a front end alignment, in order to adjust camber within specs. They did the same to my car when I got an alignment and I never hit anything.
Thanks alot! Thats exactly what i needed to know. Appreciate it.