E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > how to change maps on MT jb3?

06-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Moderators Please Close

please close. thanks

Last edited by michaelalex17; 07-23-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
hello. i have a steptronic transmission and in order to change the maps on my jb3 you need to press the peddle all the way down until it clicks which is the kickdown button. since MT cars dont have the kickdown how do you change the maps? i was just curious.
I couldn't understand from your post...do you have a manual or automatic? You post says auto...but the title says MT which I thought meant manual.

I have a 6speed and on the JB3 card it says: turn the car on...but not the entire car only the battery (so just hit the start button 1 time so the dash lights up). Hold the gas pedal for 6 seconds and then the car is in LISTENING mode. From there you push the pedal down once for each map. I typically drive on map 5 so: I would hold the gas pedal down for 6 seconds or more and then push the gas pedal down 5 more times as I want to be on map 5.

Hopefully this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp4cheddar View Post
I couldn't understand from your post...do you have a manual or automatic? You post says auto...but the title says MT which I thought meant manual.

I have a 6speed and on the JB3 card it says: turn the car on...but not the entire car only the battery (so just hit the start button 1 time so the dash lights up). Hold the gas pedal for 6 seconds and then the car is in LISTENING mode. From there you push the pedal down once for each map. I typically drive on map 5 so: I would hold the gas pedal down for 6 seconds or more and then push the gas pedal down 5 more times as I want to be on map 5.

Hopefully this helps...
i have an automatic i was just curious for people who had manual's how they change maps. i know how to change maps but i push the pedal all the way down until it clicks each map change. the manual car doesnt have those clicks because it is a kickdown button. so do you need to press the gad pedal all the way until the click in the auto version? i would have to assume not since the manual cars dont have the click but i wasnt sure. if thats the case, how far down do you need to actually push down the peddle for a map change?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i have an automatic i was just curious for people who had manual's how they change maps. i know how to change maps but i push the pedal all the way down until it clicks each map change. the manual car doesnt have those clicks because it is a kickdown button. so do you need to press the gad pedal all the way until the click in the auto version? i would have to assume not since the manual cars dont have the click but i wasnt sure. if thats the case, how far down do you need to actually push down the peddle for a map change?

You just push the pedal down all the way...and then release it: that's 1 map change.

I actually don't like the JB3 on my car. The map isn't always saved...it's extremely weird. I'll get in my car on a given day and the car feels stock. I'll stop at a light and have to sit there and do the pedal bullshit to get into Map 5...then the car drives like it's tuned.

For some reason the tune doesn't save to my car so I find myself having to reapply it all the damn time
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

ok but you are missing my point. do you have an auto or manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Randomaccess335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335I

You should upgrade to JB4..... Way better options/steering wheel controls

JB4 G5 ISO , AR DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's, MMp relocated inlets,
Ebay 4" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********11.910 @ 117.09***1.851 60'**********
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomaccess335 View Post
i dont have any issues with maps on my jb3 i was only curious about people with manual cars. i like the jb3 over the jb4 because i 99.9999% of the time wait for the oil to warm up before getting on the power. but i like to know the power is there when i need it and the jb4 does not activate until the car warms up. also, map 5 of the jb3 gives 14-15psi and the jb4 on map 1 gives 13psi. the jb4 does not give any power advantages and just has more bells and whistles which i dont need in my tune. also, i have an analog boost gauge (ECS tuning) i dont like the fuel gauge moving all around as my boost gauge. also, i dont like the code reader on the jb4 i like my BT scan tool. i'm not trying to start a debate or anything but you said to upgrade and i was just explaining why i have stuck with my jb3. anyway, does anyone know the answer to my q? because i know it says push the peddle all the way down for a map change but it cant mean all the way down because in auto's that is the kickdown button but the manual doesnt have it. maybe just up to the kickdown button is enough?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok but you are missing my point. do you have an auto or manual?
Dude...I saw your point...and one up'd you. :-)

Quote:

Hopefully this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomaccess335 View Post
I need to as my tune doesn't stick. Something is really wrong. I find myself having to turn off the car every damn time and reapply the maps. Really annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
smolik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F30 335i

Quote:
I need to as my tune doesn't stick. Something is really wrong. I find myself having to turn off the car every damn time and reapply the maps. Really annoying.
You on 2.0? I know people were having these issues in past.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolik View Post
You on 2.0? I know people were having these issues in past.
Don't know what version I'm on...I brought it used on here. Either way...I wanna upgrade to JB4 for the gauges and easier controls.

I'm hoping the upgrade will fix my issue as I'm very unhappy with it...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't know what version I'm on...I brought it used on here. Either way...I wanna upgrade to JB4 for the gauges and easier controls.

I'm hoping the upgrade will fix my issue as I'm very unhappy with it...
so how much throttle do you actually need to give it to change maps? because the auto has the kickdown and manaul doesnt. does that mean on my auto i dont need to hit the kickdown for changeing maps?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

You push the pedal all the way to the floor with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
You push the pedal all the way to the floor with a manual.
which means you dont need to push it all the way down in an auto since there is no kickdown in the manual it would be equivalent of pushing the manual peddle all the way down and the auto peddle all the way but stopping right before the kickdown
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep

Quote:
which means you dont need to push it all the way down in an auto since there is no kickdown in the manual it would be equivalent of pushing the manual peddle all the way down and the auto peddle all the way but stopping right before the kickdown
Dude. I have no idea about the specific details with an automatic. Just hit up Mike@N54tuning. He's a vendor in here and will answer any question with ease.

It'll be easier and faster than asking everyone on here. Goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

the reason i really want to know this is because i hate the kickdown so i was going to do this: go to post #42

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=598090&page=2

but if i do that i dont know if i will be able to change maps or not. i dont want to contact the vendors because the product is not made anymore and i can bet they will just say buy the jb4.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0