E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth - Risks/Considerations

06-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
VelvetElf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Meth - Risks/Considerations

I'm considering installing a Meth system, but have a few questions.

How much risk am I assuming by installing this? Is Meth only for the super die hard? Or does it carry a moderate amount of risk, but overall isn't something to be overly concerned about?

Does Meth work better for piggybacks (PROcede) than Flashes (Cobb)?

Which meth kit is considered the standard? Is it the PWM thru vishnu? or thru aquamist? or is the pwm aqua mist?

Will an independent mechanic install meth kit for me? or is this somethign I will have to do on my own. The install guide looked painful.

thanks.
      06-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElf View Post
I'm considering installing a Meth system, but have a few questions.

How much risk am I assuming by installing this? Is Meth only for the super die hard? Or does it carry a moderate amount of risk, but overall isn't something to be overly concerned about?

Does Meth work better for piggybacks (PROcede) than Flashes (Cobb)?

Which meth kit is considered the standard? Is it the PWM thru vishnu? or thru aquamist? or is the pwm aqua mist?

Will an independent mechanic install meth kit for me? or is this somethign I will have to do on my own. The install guide looked painful.

thanks.
you should consider getting an IC and dps first. you wont gain anything with meth on stage 1 cobb.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
It goes without saying you will need a different charge pipe with a "meth elbow". One thing to keep in mind is that you probably don't want to use a blow-off valve with meth, as spraying that meth mixture into your hot engine compartment on throttle lift-off could have disastrous results. If your BOV can be diverted to vent under the car, then that would be better; otherwise, you probably want to use diverter valves (stock or otherwise). Also, watch where your meth lines are routed - you definitely don't want them melting or rubbing against something to produce a leak under the hood.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The best advice for meth is to go with the kit your tuner recommends and supports. So pick your tune first and then decide on meth kit. Right now the Piggy's (JB4, PROcede) handle meth better then the flashes (COBB, GIAC)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Based on recent threads you might read up on tank placement and also consider keeping a fire extinguisher in the cabin. I have had no problems in a couple of years with my kit (tank in trunk), but I do keep a fire extinguisher in the cabin just in case.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Bro, I don't know if you're ready or knowledgable to be jump into the meth game yet. You started a thread a month ago about the difference/benefits of a single-turbo setup vs. a twin-turbo set up. I also see you're running a COBB setup with just an intake, so you might want to consider getting some DPs & run Stage 2 on your tune before you make the jump straight to meth.

It is YOUR car so I'll answer your questions:
  • Dangers - Yes, meth in high mix ratios (60:40 or higher) is dangerous since it is a flamable substance. In a 50:50 mix you will get the best of both words: performance & safety. As far as running meth, the safest way is to have your tank installed in your trunk. While this is a little more expensive, you can search & find lots of threads about ppl running meth set ups from their winshield washer fluid tanks & setting their engine bays on fire.
  • Tune Compatibility - Meth is compatible w/ any tune, but it is more "friendly" with plug-in systems. What I mean is that your plug-in tunes (JB4 + PROcede) both are capable of managing meth. If you were to go w/ COBB (whicH I believe is your tune of choice), you will need to get custom made meth maps.
  • Meth Kit - The Aquamist Meth kits are the industry standard, but Coolingmist is another option. I've heard nothing positive about Devils Own, but don't rule it out.
  • Install - If you don't feel comfortable doing a DP install, you shouldn't try installing a meth kit. An improperly installed system can be dangerous, leaking meth in your car or into the engine (which could case a fire). Use your regional thread & ask around, find a reputable Independent Shop that has worked on 335s & has done a meth kit install previously (you don't want to be their "test run" install).

Like I originally said, I think you should start shopping for DPs + running Stage 2 on your COBB before you think about meth. While the jump in power won't be as significant as going from Stock to Stage 1, going to Stage 2 will give you a very healthy jump in power that might satisfy your thrist for power until you become a little more "informed" on meth.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

u may have trouble finding a local shop to install methanol especially on a bmw. truth is the install is not that bad. the pwn was my first dealings with meth and i had my battles during install but everything runs great now and i love methanol lol. i feel like id want methanol on anything boosted that i ever have again. totally worth it and impacting. there are many variables when you have an issue in your meth flow and performance of ur kit. air getting in the lines? hardware issue? wiring? relay? when you have issues with something with a lot of components it will pay off to have done the install yourself bc you know what you did and the points of possible failure etc and will be familiar with the kit on your car. the pwn install is easy imo. and it runs excellent with the tune. this is my first and only experience with meth and i havent looked back. have had no safety issues, just great power, consistency, and healthier logs

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
VelvetElf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Bro, I don't know if you're ready or knowledgable to be jump into the meth game yet. You started a thread a month ago about the difference/benefits of a single-turbo setup vs. a twin-turbo set up. I also see you're running a COBB setup with just an intake, so you might want to consider getting some DPs & run Stage 2 on your tune before you make the jump straight to meth.

It is YOUR car so I'll answer your questions:
  • Dangers - Yes, meth in high mix ratios (60:40 or higher) is dangerous since it is a flamable substance. In a 50:50 mix you will get the best of both words: performance & safety. As far as running meth, the safest way is to have your tank installed in your trunk. While this is a little more expensive, you can search & find lots of threads about ppl running meth set ups from their winshield washer fluid tanks & setting their engine bays on fire.
  • Tune Compatibility - Meth is compatible w/ any tune, but it is more "friendly" with plug-in systems. What I mean is that your plug-in tunes (JB4 + PROcede) both are capable of managing meth. If you were to go w/ COBB (whicH I believe is your tune of choice), you will need to get custom made meth maps.
  • Meth Kit - The Aquamist Meth kits are the industry standard, but Coolingmist is another option. I've heard nothing positive about Devils Own, but don't rule it out.
  • Install - If you don't feel comfortable doing a DP install, you shouldn't try installing a meth kit. An improperly installed system can be dangerous, leaking meth in your car or into the engine (which could case a fire). Use your regional thread & ask around, find a reputable Independent Shop that has worked on 335s & has done a meth kit install previously (you don't want to be their "test run" install).

Like I originally said, I think you should start shopping for DPs + running Stage 2 on your COBB before you think about meth. While the jump in power won't be as significant as going from Stock to Stage 1, going to Stage 2 will give you a very healthy jump in power that might satisfy your thrist for power until you become a little more "informed" on meth.
Yes you are correct, I"m planning on DPs and a FMIC before Meth, but I am trying to plan the whole thing out. I'm a ways away from METH, no doubt, but I'm on teh fence regarding selling my 335, or keeping it and going FBO.

Thanks for your informed response.
      06-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
subscribed

I think this is a great question, actually, as I have not seen a lot of discussion on the risks associated with this modification. Although I also haven't been searching for it so that could be why! Methanol is a level of tinkering that I'm not interested in getting involved in right now but at least the OP has the right idea to be asking these questions. It is very easy to fall into the peer pressure "all the cool kids on the forum are doing it" mentality which can lead to disaster. Benzy has it absolutely right about doing DVs, CP, DPs, and FMIC before even considering methanol. And the fire extinguisher suggestion is also excellent. If I were going to do it, I'd wait until I had the funds for the absolute best kit out there. Not something you want to skimp on IMO.
      06-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
+1, since meth has danger potential, you def don't wanna buy the "budget kit". OP, I'm not sure why you're considering selling your 335, but I can promise that you won't be short on power with a FBO N54. I daily drive my car & only ran a Stage 1 tune & loved how it transformed the car -- Now that I'll be FBO, I can't imagine what it'll be like running Stage 2 as my "normal" map

Trying to resist the temptation to take my modding further (not looking to empty the bank account). Was at VAC the other day and they showed me how they're not only doing a custom-Quaife LSD install, but they're also porting N54 heads and prepping for a turbo upgrade

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

If you want easy power:
sell the Cobb, purchase a piggy and meth kit, tap your charge pipe (or better IC pipe) and turn up the boost. A good 30 to 50 more HP over FBO/pump.

OR you could run piggy and 50% E85... still more HP then FBO

OR you could try Cobb stage 2+ on 50% E85... this would be fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
VelvetElf
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1, since meth has danger potential, you def don't wanna buy the "budget kit". OP, I'm not sure why you're considering selling your 335, but I can promise that you won't be short on power with a FBO N54. I daily drive my car & only ran a Stage 1 tune & loved how it transformed the car -- Now that I'll be FBO, I can't imagine what it'll be like running Stage 2 as my "normal" map

Trying to resist the temptation to take my modding further (not looking to empty the bank account). Was at VAC the other day and they showed me how they're not only doing a custom-Quaife LSD install, but they're also porting N54 heads and prepping for a turbo upgrade

Reason for possible selling. Factory warranty expiring. Don't want to splurge for the extended warranty. But also worry about massive repair bill if something goes kablooey. Combine that with wanting to go Stage2+ with Cobb (add DPs and IC), makes it a messy decision to make. No great answers. I love the car and slapping on the tune over stock was intoxicating. I can't wait to get to Stage2. I just want to make sure I understand what I"m getting myself into before I puke the money.

Thanks for your posts gents.
      06-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Reason for possible selling. Factory warranty expiring. Don't want to splurge for the extended warranty. But also worry about massive repair bill if something goes kablooey. Combine that with wanting to go Stage2+ with Cobb (add DPs and IC), makes it a messy decision to make. No great answers. I love the car and slapping on the tune over stock was intoxicating. I can't wait to get to Stage2. I just want to make sure I understand what I"m getting myself into before I puke the money.

End of the day the deicisions yours, but the warranty expiring is probably the best thing to happen to you. If you're responsible w/ maintaining your car (fluid changes, proper octane, not trying to kill it), then nothing will go kablooey. I'm not sure about you, but I know that there are PLENTY of top notch indies in the Tri-State area that are better at maintaining our cars then some (most IMO) BMW Service Depts.

If you're active enough on the forums, you'll know the problems that come w/ owning this car (HPFP, misfires, frequent oil changes) and be able to avoid any serious, expensive problems by responsibly modding + caring for your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yeah Benzy has good perspective here. Extended warranty is a hosejob IMO. Every fifth car around the tri-state is a bimmer so yes there are many reputable and reasonable indie shops as a result of the high demand.

The one thing that many people on here refuse to accept is that you are taking significant risks when you tune a car. It is not free, and you have to pay to play. Sure it is fun to push your car and mod it (believe me, I've got the sickness pretty bad!) but living on the edge of financial disaster at all times for the depreciating asset in your driveway isn't very smart either. (I'm not saying this is you per se, just speaking generally here about some of the folks on this forum). I guess what I'm saying is if you're at that stage in your life where money is a factor then just go FBO, take your 400 whp and gobs of torque that will smoke 99.5% of cars on the road and be done with it. If you want more than that, sell your 335 and buy a Boss 302. With proper maintenance your car will be fine. I think adding methanol etc. is a level of tinkering that you (and me) are not really ready for.
      06-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
This is going to be a treasonous claim, but here we go..... I just don't like the idea of meth as whole -- IMO it's "fake" power (the minute that tank empties, the magics over) and I'm not a fan of turning my car into a torch if anything leaks.

Last edited by benzy89; 06-07-2012 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is going to be a treasonous claim, but here we go..... I just don't like the idea of meth as whole -- IMO it's "fake" power (the minute that tank empties, the magics over) and my car turning into a torch if anything leaks.
oh man get your flame suit on!!!! LOL But actually the same is true with the gas tank!!!
      06-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Think I'm ready for the hate to starting raining from all the meth junkies

If you want power, go FBO. If that's somehow not enough, invest in some RB/ASR turbos, dial in some extra boost and hold on to your asshole.

Last edited by benzy89; 06-07-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Well here is my .02

Here is when methanol can work on Cobb to reap the maximum benefits.

If you have a Cobb tune only, and add methanol you can use stage 2 aggressive to almost maximize gains. (If you have full bolt ons you still wont be able to maximize gains without using the below options).

You would need their race maps, (which I dont know if they are available to the public yet),

OR

ATR, which allows you to tune yourself (unsure if its available yet)

or

Custom tune which can cost anywhere between 300-600+ depending on where you go, and not all places will tune methanol.

Now before the others jump down my throat about this recommendation, I can tell you it is much easier to get methanol going on a piggyback, for 2 reasons. Please understand this is not a sales pitch it's just straight facts.

Reason 1 is cost
Reason 2 is maximizing benefits easier

You can purchase a generic methanol kit, and generic failsafe and flow sensor and whether you run a Jb4 or PROcede you will be maxing out your ignition and boost for full benefit, with no draw backs. You will also be able to switch maps on the fly and using a failsafe/flow sensor be sure you are flowing methanol and everything would be safe for your engine in that regards.

Now, before I get attacked, Yes, you can run methanol on Cobb, and yes you can get something like an Aquamist HFS-4 methanol kit, and have a failsafe built in to bleed boost if methanol isn't flowing. However, I'm not sure at this juncture if you are able to maximize the benefits without a professional custom tune/ATR/or Race maps. If you can then it will be something to consider of course.

However, all said and done it is going to cost more and it's not going to be as feature enriched as a piggy. If cost is not a concern and either pro tune, race maps, or ATR are an option then the only thing a Cobb doesnt have over a Piggy is the on the fly map changes and flow sensor read outs in dash. However, one can purchase a flow sensor gauge if they so incline.

This is honestly the most unbiased response you will find here and whichever route you choose can work.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

I'd also like to add that I truly believe people should understand how methanol works, how to install it, how to remove it, how to troubleshoot it, and have a buddy that has one. I dont recommend people have it installed by a professional without understanding it fully. Although that sounds funny that I would advise against professional install, I dont advise against it so as long as you understand how it was installed,works, the risks, and how to troubleshoot. 9 times out of 10 people have it installed, something goes wrong, and they have no idea where to start or what is what.

As people are coming to realize it is not for amateurs and does come with it's inherent risks. I do tell people to avoid using windshield washer reservoir kits because of the fire risk.

There are other options to consider like race gas and E85.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
R1000K3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I'd also like to add that I truly believe people should understand how methanol works, how to install it, how to remove it, how to troubleshoot it, and have a buddy that has one. I dont recommend people have it installed by a professional without understanding it fully. Although that sounds funny that I would advise against professional install, I dont advise against it so as long as you understand how it was installed,works, the risks, and how to troubleshoot. 9 times out of 10 people have it installed, something goes wrong, and they have no idea where to start or what is what.

As people are coming to realize it is not for amateurs and does come with it's inherent risks. I do tell people to avoid using windshield washer reservoir kits because of the fire risk.

I appreciate your continuous preaching a lot about risks with meth and what to consider. I'm fully aware of all this and hope people read and take actions due to your good information.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
I'd also like to add that I truly believe people should understand how methanol works, how to install it, how to remove it, how to troubleshoot it, and have a buddy that has one. I dont recommend people have it installed by a professional without understanding it fully. Although that sounds funny that I would advise against professional install, I don't advise against it so as long as you understand how it was installed,works, the risks, and how to troubleshoot. 9 times out of 10 people have it installed, something goes wrong, and they have no idea where to start or what is what.

Yeah, thanks Jeff. You make great points. This is the first car I've ever tweaked and I can tell you that even with my PROcede it was challenging not having someone close to me who has one to help me troubleshoot or explain different features/capabilities. I can imagine methanol is that much more daunting if you don't have a working knowledge of it.
      06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
I appreciate your continuous preaching a lot about risks with meth and what to consider. I'm fully aware of all this and hope people read and take actions due to your good information.
Thank you. I try to help people so they understand what they are getting into. Last thing I want is for someone to purchase something and then say "I never knew...."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Yeah, thanks Jeff. You make great points. This is the first car I've ever tweaked and I can tell you that even with my PROcede it was challenging not having someone close to me who has one to help me troubleshoot or explain different features/capabilities. I can imagine methanol is that much more daunting if you don't have a working knowledge of it.
Rightfully so, there is a lot to learn and there is a strong learning curve with methanol. At the end of the day it is as simple as a Tank, Pump, Lines and a nozzle but how all that comes together and works manually or electronically (along with your tune) can make all the difference.

I didn't even get to touch base on the simpler things of methanol. A few years back when methanol was introduced we were still learning the correct amount to spray and how that effects fuel, intake air temp, avoid meth quenching and stuff.

I feel nowadays it is so easy to read something on the forum, buy it, have a pro install, and drive home really takes away from all that comes together to get the system working properly/efficiently. I remember one of the first kits to hit this platform came with a single M5 (5 GPH nozzle) and everyone thought it was sufficient, just like 14 PSI was too much boost, it is amazing how platforms develop and change over time.
Appreciate 0