E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > misfire/stumble with no codes. If I were to...

06-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

misfire/stumble with no codes. If I were to...

Hi,

My 2010 335xi (out of warantee) stumbles under heavy load / low RPMs. I have the BT tool and there is never a code/shadow code thrown. It tends to come and go, some days almost not reproducible, some days 5th and 6th gear will "stumble" very noticeably under heavy load.

I'm ordering new plugs and hopefully that will nail it.

The plugs are cheap, so I don't mind doing all 6. But if that doesn't nail it, and I move to suspecting a coil next, is there any recommendation besides:

* Purchase a new coil
* Swap with coil #1, drive around for a couple of days and see if the problem occurs
* If it doesn't, put the old one back, and move the new one to coil #2, etc. etc. etc.

I can do that, but I was hoping there was a better strategy. Any recommendations?

Also, when I swap the plugs, what is the recommended procedure (if any) to reset adaptations? The forum seemed to have some debate re: whether or not some people's misfires were related to swapping plugs and the engine having a hard time adjusting to the new plugs, etc. Is there anything I should do with the BT tool?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

First, how is a 2010 out of warranty? Is it mileage?

Good first step is to do exactly what you're doing and changing plugs. If that doesn't do it, the problem may be harder to solve if the car isn't throwing any codes. Coils makes sense, but again, without codes you may be on a wild goose chase. Start with the plugs and see what happens.

Also, what other mods do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Have you tried forcing it to stumble/hesitate to throw a code? For instance, lug your car through 5th car and when it starts to stumble/misfire keep on the gas until you throw a limp mode and SES light. This is how I get misfire codes to pop up when I am trying to diagnose which cylinder. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Hi,

yeah, miles -- commute is fairly long. ~60k right now.

No mods currently, had a JB+ w/ bypass for quite a while running ~ 75%, but starting throwing boost codes when I would get the misfire, as if the misfire scenario would allow more boost to build when the engine wasn't firing right. After removing it, no codes thrown when I get the misfire, but still get the same misfire.

Seems to only happen under strong load like 5th and 6th in low RPMS. Or at least that's the only time I really notice it. It's that brief shudder/stumble feeling. Sometimes it's just one quick hitch, sometimes it's a second or so of what feels like 7-8 small hitches/vibrations. Each 'miss' feels like I'm driving over a small crack in the road. It's not much, but you can feel it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisivan View Post
Hi,

yeah, miles -- commute is fairly long. ~60k right now.

No mods currently, had a JB+ w/ bypass for quite a while running ~ 75%, but starting throwing boost codes when I would get the misfire, as if the misfire scenario would allow more boost to build when the engine wasn't firing right. After removing it, no codes thrown when I get the misfire, but still get the same misfire.

Seems to only happen under strong load like 5th and 6th in low RPMS. Or at least that's the only time I really notice it. It's that brief shudder/stumble feeling. Sometimes it's just one quick hitch, sometimes it's a second or so of what feels like 7-8 small hitches/vibrations. Each 'miss' feels like I'm driving over a small crack in the road. It's not much, but you can feel it.
Ok. So it sounds like your misfire is still in his infancy. Don't worry tho, if left uncheck, he will grow up to be big and strong. Then it'll be easy to diagnose.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Redrkt503
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

sounds exactly like when my evo had plugs that weren't gapped right... I would get on it under full boost an it would stutter and hiccup until I let off. I got new plugs gapped em right and presto! full boost and revs clean through the rpms
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Yeah, my car just got the 'stutters' too and not throwing any codes.

I can detect it just sitting at a standstill revving to 2k rpms. It will be running smooth, then the idle drops like it isn't getting gas, then it is fine again.

The plugs probably aren't the problem since they have about 5k miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Chipedy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

I'm having the same issue. Noticeable mostly from 3rd gear and above at between 3k and 4k rmp. Spark plugs only 8k on them.
Appreciate 0