E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > IMPORTANT: Sonic Tuning CoilOver install problem

05-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335!

IMPORTANT: Sonic Tuning CoilOver install problem

The shop installed my my Sonic Tuning Coilover's and the install took about 5 hours or so but they ran into the following problem, and I need help with it
  • On the back right, they are trying to tighten the bolt from the inside of the trunk but it wont tighten down all the way, it keeps spinning. They say on stock strut's there is a little groove on top they can hold on to while tightning it so it doesn spin, but this doesnt have it. He got the the left to tighten magically but right wont. Any Ideas how to accomplish this?
  • Also my headlights, the level is pointing down, how do I get them to be back up or point normally again?

All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Right now my car just sounds like crap, everytime i go over a bump the rear right makes noise

-Mo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

so search is my friend, i found the answer to #2 hopefully http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...53#post9226953

but what about number 1!!

lol HELP!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Great, just my luck...Called sonictuning and Ray over there is out of town and there is no other tech available currently to help with this

FML
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
LocDawgg
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW e90

That is weird,

Yes on the OEM struts, the strut will keep spinning when you are tightening/loosening the bolt inside the trunk, but the actual sonic tuning coilover should not. Mine tighten easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motastic View Post
The shop installed my my Sonic Tuning Coilover's and the install took about 5 hours or so but they ran into the following problem, and I need help with it
  • On the back right, they are trying to tighten the bolt from the inside of the trunk but it wont tighten down all the way, it keeps spinning. They say on stock strut's there is a little groove on top they can hold on to while tightning it so it doesn spin, but this doesnt have it. He got the the left to tighten magically but right wont. Any Ideas how to accomplish this?
  • Also my headlights, the level is pointing down, how do I get them to be back up or point normally again?

All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Right now my car just sounds like crap, everytime i go over a bump the rear right makes noise

-Mo
Mo,

Have you consider taking it to another shop and have the work done?

When you tighten the rear the car should be loaded so the coilover wont spin.

Make sure they have everything installed properly, you should not get noise.

During the install, they probably touched the sensor road.

Here's how to adjust it:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=headlights

PM me if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

jose the weird thing is the next day (yesterday) I went back in the morning, and he tightened it the same way he was trying all night (and yes the car was loaded) and it worked. Odd

I just did not adjust the damper's not but do you guys not send the tool to adjust the front dampers? or do I just use a screw driver? Just a PITA to take the bar off in the front to adjust, wish it had a thing on top like the rear.

Also last but not least when I go over a bump in the front, seems like a little bit of clunking noise comes, but is that normal on a coil over setup? Just wondering out of curiosity

this shop knows what they are doing, they have done plenty of coilover install's. So I have my confidence in them
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Hey -

I have done a few of these installs. Your shop just didn't know what they were doing so I can help you get things right.

To answer the first issue of the piece just spinning. There are a few ways to do it. Like Jose said if you put the car on the ground the pressure will hold it from spinning. The other option is to clamp the top just below the adjustment knob and use a wrench to tighten down.

As for your headlights aiming down. 1 of two things happened. The first is bad and hopefully not the case - but there are leveling sensors on the driver side (or passenger side I can't remember - but it is only on one side front and rear). If they broke one of them while installing (whcih if you don't know to look for them is easy to do) then your headlights will aim down because the sensors will read very incorrect levels/angles. HOPEFULLY they just didn't reattach it. The pieces aren't all that expensive to replace even if they are broken but those are what you need to check.

If you PM me later this evening when I am home I can take a picture of the rear portion and point out how to tighten it down the easiest.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Motastic
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks alot for the information. I got the headlights to level correctly again, the one on the left front was vertical instead of horizontal. he fixed that yesterday.

I will PM you for some additional information
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
ksspacegray07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe

[QUOTE=Jake@MOTIV;12019539]Hey -

hey if you have time could you pm, im installing these now and have a few questions about the rear (mainly how to match up the shocks and springs height and dampening)
seems that sonictuning doesn't care to get back to me
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 03:04 AM   #10
BMSE92_Harry
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

I can get you help with Sonic Tuning if needed. I recently installed a coilover and have a rep phone number that i may pass on to you.
Appreciate 0