E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Report on Stoptech rotors and Akebono pads

05-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Report on Stoptech rotors and Akebono pads

Just replaced front and rear rotors and pads. Selected the sportech drilled rotors (I know, drilled rotors are not best but they look sweet...), paired with Akebono Euro Ceramic (on a e90 330i).

No noises from the drilled rotors, fading is definitely improved compared to OEM (it had become an issue for me, even on the street, during some occasional hooliganism in the mountains).

The pedal feel is different than stock. The pedal travel is longer to get to full brake power. The initial bite is close, very progressive and predictable brake power, but you have to press far to get full stop (not hard, far). I would say that it is a "better" feel than OEM for me, as the brake is very controlled and precise, but it might be a "dangerous" feel for somebody that does not have the habit of performance brakes and is used to have an "on-off" brake pedal*.

Overall very happy with the result, I just need better wheels to show off more with the drilled rotors

* See the followup reports in this post. This has resolved itself after 1k miles.

Last edited by Meeni; 11-21-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
taranonline
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

please pm me where you got them from and what price.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Br0
MFCEO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' e92 335i M-Sport

Did you bed them in properly?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Just replaced front and rear rotors and pads. Selected the sportech drilled rotors (I know, drilled rotors are not best but they look sweet...), paired with Akebono Euro Ceramic (on a e90 330i).

No noises from the drilled rotors, fading is definitely improved compared to OEM (it had become an issue for me, even on the street, during some occasional hooliganism in the mountains).

The pedal feel is different than stock. The pedal travel is longer to get to full brake power. The initial bite is close, very progressive and predictable brake power, but you have to press far to get full stop (not hard, far). I would say that it is a "better" feel than OEM for me, as the brake is very controlled and precise, but it might be a "dangerous" feel for somebody that does not have the habit of performance brakes and is used to have an "on-off" brake pedal.

Overall very happy with the result, I just need better wheels to show off more with the drilled rotors
This is typical of ceramic pads in my opinion. I personally won't characterize it as "better" than OEM.

In fact, I'd recommend against ceramic pads since they have a lower MOT than the factory pads and their friction level falls off rapidly when MOT is exceeded. Consider ceramic pads as general street pads, and are not recommended for aggressive street driving/light track duty, as a result.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
TheTallJS
United_States
Rep
Drives: Metallic Black 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
the brake pedal travel might be due to brake lines or brake fluid. Obviously SS brake lines will improve braking, but maybe you have some air in the brake lines, so a brake fluid drain and flush might solve that issue.
      05-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by templarjay View Post
the brake pedal travel might be due to brake lines or brake fluid. Obviously SS brake lines will improve braking, but maybe you have some air in the brake lines, so a brake fluid drain and flush might solve that issue.
That's certainly a possibility, but if the OP only replaced his brake rotors and pads, it's hard to conclude the brake fluid at the culprit for his brake pedal "feel".
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

I've had my Akebono's on now for about 2000 miles and I agree with what the Meeni and George @ ViVA have to say about the difference in pedal feel due to the pads being ceramic. The pedal travel for full breaking is definitely longer. Stopping with these pads is more of a linear feel. It does take some getting used to, but the breaking is very predictable once you get used to it. For everyday use these are great pads. However, like Georgia @ Viva mentioned, I would not recommend them for track use.

As far as brake dust... there is no comparison. These pads are phenomenal as far as how much little dust they create. I can go weeks without washing my wheels and they will show little to no sign of brake dust. Anyone that has aftermarket wheels that are for more show than go then I would highly recommend using these pads.

Last edited by BoostedE90; 05-22-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Taran: got the rotors from TireRack, the pads from EuroHaus. All material for about $500 at my door, not including sensors.

Templarjay: brake lines have been bled 6 month ago, and had no issues with air bubble prior to retracting pistons into the calipers. I did not open the bled screws and removed excess fluid from the main tank, I do not think this procedure can introduce air in the line. Beside it does not feel spongy, it just has long travel.

George, thanks for the advices. As I never race the car, I do not see this as an issue. I definitely (and it is personal) like the fact that pedal travel is long, resulting in controllable brake application. OEM brakes already had appropriate level of control, so it is not "better", but it is not "worse", just something to get used to. I thought some warning about this would be of some value to would be buyers
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Oh, and by the way, from seat of the pant, the peak braking power and stopping distance is similar to OEM. Not better, not worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
stoptech=garbage, i had them they rusted like no other rotors ive ever had in a matter of weeks. im sure they will be fine for a year or two, the life of the pads but i would not resurface them just put them where they belong. do not spray brake cleaner on them it will remove the black paint and they will rust even worse.
Attached Images

Last edited by brocklanders; 05-22-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Every rotor rusts. They are made in iron... If you were to coat them with something that does not rust, the pads would wear through it and they would rust...
However, I see you have the 330i calipers. The slotted&drilled disks some shops sell as an application for the 330i are not matching. The rotor is not the right size, and Stoptech does not reference them for the 330i, only the drilled rotor is a proper fitment for the 330i. That is the explanation for the large inner circle that has no paint but is not cleaned up by pad contact. A proper application rotor would have about 1mm gap that rusts in that position, barely visible, while you seem to have an almost 6-7mm gap.

Further report on these Akebono pads:
They actually took longer than usual to bed. My initial report was at around 200 miles. At approximately 1,000 miles, pedal travel returned to pretty much normal feel. First braking application on cold disks still has a weird initial bite, this may be a problem in long-cold winter areas, if the disks get cold again between every brake application. Not an issue at all in south-east US, after first braking, everything is at operating temperature and works just perfect and predictable.

Overall, after 1,000k miles, I cannot tell anymore the difference in pedal feel with OEM. I could have gotten used to it, or the pads have improved over time, or both. Anyway, I have nothing unusual to report anymore. Beside, now the ultimate braking power is stronger than OEM, it brakes like a train.

Last edited by Meeni; 06-20-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
E90Dom0.00
      06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
George@V
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Every rotor rusts. They are made in iron... If you were to coat them with something that does not rust, the pads would wear through it and they would rust...

Further report on these Akebono pads:
They actually took longer than usual to bed. My initial report was at around 200 miles. At approximately 1,000 miles, pedal travel returned to pretty much normal feel. First braking application on cold disks still has a weird initial bite, this may be a problem in long-cold winter areas.

Overall, after 1,000k miles, I cannot tell anymore the difference in pedal feel with OEM. I could have gotten used to it, or the pads have improved over time, or both. Anyway, I have nothing unusual to report anymore. Beside, now the ultimate braking power is stronger than OEM, it brakes like a train.
I think this is a new BMW world record for car with most miles! hehe.

Glad to hear you are happy with your brakes now, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by George@V View Post
I think this is a new BMW world record for car with most miles! hehe.

Glad to hear you are happy with your brakes now, though.
Haha

That being said, if you visit the Benz museum in Stuttgart, they'll tell you the story of the taxi driver that received a brand new E350 in gift, as a replacement for his million mile 190E (with original engine), that now proudly exhibit itself in the museum.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
demontwinz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

how are the brakes now? What you guys buy stoptech rotors now for Toronto, Canada?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Nothing special to say. Feel didn't change since 1k miles. Winter is coming, and the same "first application wooden feel" still exist, but it does not persist, even though the temperature is around 40 these days. Don't know about Canadian winter though.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

mine cracked so bad i had to throw them away, garbage
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Scary story, I hope you are an oddball.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Hm. I am looking for a much-less-dust solution - my front wheels are routinely saturated with messy black factory pad dust, requiring constant cleaning. Not cool. Ceramic seemed like a good solution to me, but in reading this thread, seems they have issues? Long pedal travel? Does this affect your reaction time in emergency braking situations?

And what is meant about the "weird / wooden" feeling of first-stops in cold weather? It can get to -30C (-22F) even in Ontario winters. Are ceramics a bad idea in cold climates like that?

Had no idea until reading this - thanks for the heads up, and I would appreciate any input?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Pedal travel has settled in time. After about 1k miles, I couldn't tell any different than regular pads.

I don't know about Canadian winter. In southern US, it's noticeable but not even annoying, as it does it only after sitting overnight and stops after the first brake application. I suspect that the compound gets cold very deep overnight, but the heat produced by braking fixes it instantly and it would take so much time for cold to set in again that it is irrelevant, but I have never experienced real cold weather.

Overall I am very happy with the setup. I gave all "drawbacks" I could find about them to inform, but my general opinion is very positive and I'd do it again. Emergency braking is safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Quote:
Pedal travel has settled in time. After about 1k miles, I couldn't tell any different than regular pads.

... the heat produced by braking fixes it instantly ... I have never experienced real cold weather.

Overall I am very happy with the setup. I gave all "drawbacks" I could find about them to inform, but my general opinion is very positive and I'd do it again. Emergency braking is safe.
Thanks, Meeni - Ok good, that's more in line with the overall image I had before then. I had never heard about cold weather or pedal travel.

And you have NEVER EXPERIENCED REAL COLD WEATHER?! Wow...I suddenly feel very Canadian. ha.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #21
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Several years into the brake combo, the rotors are holding strong. The pads still brake confidently, but with the return of the cold climate, so has returned the stiff wooden initial bite. As the pads grew thinner with years, this persists longer now. Would not recommend to somebody living in northern US. I would still recommend as a solid option for somebody looking for a low dusting pad that performs, and leave in a mild winter area.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #22
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
It will take 1000 miles for the Akebono pads to be fully broken in.

Please update us when you roll over 1k on your new rotors and pads.
Appreciate 0