E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Beginners Products Recommendations?

05-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Bavfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Beginners Products Recommendations?

I'm about to take the leap and buy a DA polisher, polish, sealant and pads. I plan to pick up the Porter Cable DA polisher, but what products would you recommend that would be easy for a beginner? I've been waxing my cars by hand, so I've clayed and waxed by hand before, but don't know which products would be easy to start with for the DA polisher. I was thinking of the Menzerna Super Finish Nano Polish, Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant or BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. I haven't decided about waxing over the sealant, so opinions on this would be great too.

I've got a pre LCI sliver E90 and the paints in pretty good shape. I can see swirls when in the bright sun, but besides regular daily user paint chips, the paint's in good shape.

I'm in Canada and was hoping eshine.ca would have a good discount for products for the long weekend, but no such luck

Any suggestions for products would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

When I got my beginner set-up I went with LC Hydrotech pads in cyan, orange, and crimson. As for polishes, the Menzerna products are top shelf, but if you're looking for quality and value, Meguiar's M105 and M205 is a good combo. I've also heard good things about the Meguiar's microfiber polishing pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Foam Pad:

Lace County Constant Pressure™ Foam Pads have a layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate.
This layer acts as a cushion or shock absorber between the machine, the operator and the surface being worked on. It absorbs off-axis motion while maintaining a constant and uniform pressure on the surface; Lake County Constant Pressure™" technology allows even a neophyte detailer to achieve professional-like results.

Polishes:

Optimum Polymer Products polishes are suitable for neophyte detailers - Optimum Hyper Polish is a spray type polish, by spraying the polish onto a buffing pad, you can effectively prime the entire pad with a minimal amount of product. It is very easy to use and has a long working time with no dusting or sling issues. Its spray application minimizes the chance of overloading or gumming up the pad, and it provides an even application.

Optimum Hyper Polish easily wipes off with a damp microfiber towel, whether you use it in the sun or shade, to achieve outstanding result. Aggressive enough for paint correction and swirl removal, yet the shine, clarity, and gloss of the paint left behind requires only final protection.

Application - shake the polish and then apply two sprays to prime the pad and then use one spray per panel. Random orbital polisher; spray the pads perimeter as the product will migrate to the centre during use

“Detailing 101; Introduction to Detailing” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451986
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

For a beginner quick, easy, safe, and reliable results... My vote is for the Megs DA Microfiber system with a Porter Cable. I'd get another decent wax (I love how easy Dodo Juice Purple Haze is to work with, and insane beading, better than BFWD) and just top over the D301 (part of the DA MF kit) every 2 months or so.
Appreciate 0