E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth wooos

05-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Meth wooos

I have the Pwm kit from Vishnu and it's just wierd. I have a trunk mounted kit but something is just not right! I was driving around today and it's mid 20C out here so warm. When I started driving, car warmed up, I get on throttle and meth is flowing great. Driving through town get an open stretch, get on it, no more meth flow
This is happening more often now!

Pump throttle to basically prime system but still nothing. Come home, check lines and no leaks! I takeoff the lines coming from pump to FAV and it's pressurized with meth in it.

I'm not buying this meth boiling over in the lines that much. I had the stage 3 system from snow performance and never had this issue.

Now with snow, it was recommended to have an extra solenoid if we had a trunk tank to prevent flow back. Do we need that here as well?

Ideas? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
drewmeyer87
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If I had to guess, I'd say your Injection % value in the user settings is too high.

What did you set it to?

Try lowering it to the default recommended value of 25 and re-test.

I was having similar problems, I'd get solid meth indicators around town but when I'd get a stretch to go WOT, I'd get no indicators.
      05-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

my logs show the full flow setting to be 47. I had mine set to 42. I just dropped to 30 to test. I think it's most likely my FAV. i have to figure out a few things on this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
It's funny that you are saying this b/c I was thinking about making a thread about the same thing. Mine has been doing the same thing lately until the other day. I reached over and tapped the stalk that would pump washer fluid and spray the windshield and I guess it like primed it or something and it hasn't done it since.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

My issue is a bit different as i'm using a closed system. I'm not using the windshield fluid holder and don't have check valves etc. i have a dedicated tank in the trunk and a dedicated line. I have primed many times. Works for a few times and then stops. I'm thinking it's the Fast Acting Valve. It's possible it could have been damaged as BMW has been doing work on the car and they have been taking the system apart.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

You should install a check valve if you trunk mount. Theres a lot more tubing involved when relocating the tank.

Remove the nozzles, put it in a bucket. Jump boost switch to turn on pump. Take off the connecter to the FAV, and jump the two top pins with a 9V battery. It should be a pure mist, you're essentially running at 100% DC. If your FAV is on the fritz, then it wont be a consistant flow/mist.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So figured out my issue today. It is the check valve. When i opened the wire harness, there was rust on the terminals! Somehow, water got in hence why i'm having intermittent issues. I have my new Fast Acting Valve come in tomorrow. Once i get it, i'll verify. Also had a chat with Jeff Howerton. Awesome guy. He mentioned that we 'should' keep the the Valve as cool and dry as possible.

Also, he said there is no issue having the pump and tank in the trunk and connecting it straight to the Valve.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So finally got another Fast Acting Valve and the issue still happens!! I can run through 1 or 2 WOT's and then meth will randoming stop flowing. On my logs, you can see that the Procede is asking for 100% DC on the meth system but no flow. Sad but never had these issues with my snow kit.

So far, bought new fast acting valve, changed relay and fuses. Checked wired connections. Replaced the tubes just in case there was a cut or leak.

I run a in trunk PWM meth kit. I dont use a check flow valve and have a dedicated tank. My tank and pump are setup like FBIS had set his up in the trunk. I figure i have 2 more things to try. I have my older AEM pump vishnu sent out before the new pressure fitting ones so i'll replace my aquamist pressure fitting one with the older one in case it's a pump issue.

Only other things left on the system would be the boost switch or the flow rate valve. This has been going on since april and im getting tired of this! Talked to Jeff Howerton who says maybe i should look into a aquamist kit. Really considering it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

is it possible that you're sucking in air ? after it not working, will it ever work again before you shut off car and reprime?
how old is your pump ?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
is it possible that you're sucking in air ? after it not working, will it ever work again before you shut off car and reprime?
how old is your pump ?
I've primed the system, just to make sure. The system has no leaks as i checked every point. I also used boost juice with VP Meth so if it leaks, it stains pink. No leaks. Pump currently was bought new from Vishnu at the Trona rolling race event end of February this year.

Yes, it does work randomly. I will go 2 - 3 wot's and it works perfect. Do a 3rd gear pull and still works. Do another 3rd gear pull and not working anymore. Partial throttle, nothing. Again, partial throttle, i have flow now. Do a wot, part way through 3rd gear, meth stops flowing.

I would almost say a loose connection but all connections have been checked. As mentioned, relay replaced, FAV replaced, Fuse replaced, ECU wire connections checked.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Also, my tank is in the trunk and the pump is located in the spare tire well. I have a 2.5Gal tank and it is full.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Maybe the pump is over heating?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
how old is your pump ?
I've primed the system, just to make sure. The system has no leaks as i checked every point. I also used boost juice with VP Meth so if it leaks, it stains pink. No leaks. Pump currently was bought new from Vishnu at the Trona rolling race event end of February this year.

Yes, it does work randomly. I will go 2 - 3 wot's and it works perfect. Do a 3rd gear pull and still works. Do another 3rd gear pull and not working anymore. Partial throttle, nothing. Again, partial throttle, i have flow now. Do a wot, part way through 3rd gear, meth stops flowing.

I would almost say a loose connection but all connections have been checked. As mentioned, relay replaced, FAV replaced, Fuse replaced, ECU wire connections checked.
What type of connectors are in this kit? And what type of connectors are the ones you checked for on the ECM ? I only ask because when I see issues like this, I have found that the contact pins of a connector may have either backed itself out and is not fully seating, or has a broken wing tab that when connected , pushes the pin out of its seat. I would disconnect the connectors one at a time. Look at them sideways and see if one is lower. Tug on the wires too . Then add strain relief behind the connector with tape. Do it for all connections and hopefully you can find the issue happens less or is resolved .
      06-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
What type of connectors are in this kit? And what type of connectors are the ones you checked for on the ECM ? I only ask because when I see issues like this, I have found that the contact pins of a connector may have either backed itself out and is not fully seating, or has a broken wing tab that when connected , pushes the pin out of its seat. I would disconnect the connectors one at a time. Look at them sideways and see if one is lower. Tug on the wires too . Then add strain relief behind the connector with tape. Do it for all connections and hopefully you can find the issue happens less or is resolved .
This is the PWM kit from Vishnu. I modified it by running a power wire to the back of the car for the pump. I'm going to try a few things today. Will change out pump as i have the original AEM pump vishnu sent out before. See if it's possibly the pump. If i still have issues, I will then tear the wiring apart and check all the leads to see if there is an issue with a broken connector.

I did check the ecu connector and verified that. Its all connected nice and tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So went through entire system again. Took wiring apart, re-did the entire wiring, soldered every connection. Replaced Fuse and relay again. Checked wiring to pump and tested boost switch. All check out. Took the car for a boot and meth stopped flowing again. This time, it wouldnt come back on at all! Came back home, and connected a hose post Fast Acting Valve dumping into a plastic bottle. Activated the boost switch and triggered the FAV. Meth flows perfectly. ran it off and on for a minute and no issues. Ran that hose with bottle into my cabin and went for a drive. When meth activated, it ran and pumped fine but ended up getting a meth overflow code. Restarted car and tested again and again, flowed on partial throttle. Pulled over, and connected the meth back to the charge pipe. Ran a few times and meth is flowing but too much traffic so came back home. Will try later tonight!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
So went through entire system again. Took wiring apart, re-did the entire wiring, soldered every connection. Replaced Fuse and relay again. Checked wiring to pump and tested boost switch. All check out. Took the car for a boot and meth stopped flowing again. This time, it wouldnt come back on at all! Came back home, and connected a hose post Fast Acting Valve dumping into a plastic bottle. Activated the boost switch and triggered the FAV. Meth flows perfectly. ran it off and on for a minute and no issues. Ran that hose with bottle into my cabin and went for a drive. When meth activated, it ran and pumped fine but ended up getting a meth overflow code. Restarted car and tested again and again, flowed on partial throttle. Pulled over, and connected the meth back to the charge pipe. Ran a few times and meth is flowing but too much traffic so came back home. Will try later tonight!
OP, am anxious to hear how this works out for you. by coincidence a similar issue started happening to me in the last week. A few days ago it was 90F here and meth wouldn't flow. Today temps were down to 70F and meth seems to be flowing just fine
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
OP, am anxious to hear how this works out for you. by coincidence a similar issue started happening to me in the last week. A few days ago it was 90F here and meth wouldn't flow. Today temps were down to 70F and meth seems to be flowing just fine
Do you have a windshield mounted kit or trunk mounted? Most likely for you, meth boiled over or you had a bit of air in the system. Most people have this issue and usually you just have to activate the windshield washer pump briefly to prime the system and meth starts flowing again.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

OP....are you still experiencing the same issue with flow?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
OP....are you still experiencing the same issue with flow?
I've been testing it for 2 days and all is working!
I believe it was the connections going to the relay. I took all the wires apart, bought a new relay with harness, soldered all connections to that. Replaced fuse holder as well. Primed systems and all working now!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #20
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
I believe it was the connections going to the relay. I took all the wires apart, bought a new relay with harness, soldered all connections to that. Replaced fuse holder as well. Primed systems and all working now!
Hope it stays that way!

I guess you got the harness from Vishnu seeing as it is marries into the Procede?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Hope it stays that way!

I guess you got the harness from Vishnu seeing as it is marries into the Procede?
Yes, harness part of the PWM kit from Vishnu.

I think it will. I had some issues with my car and my dealership had to take the system apart a few times. I also have the dinan CAI so they would literally have to take the meth kit, the dv's and part of the cai apart to resolve some issues. The relay as on the same side so i'm thinking the wires got stressed and damaged. I drove my car out to Trona in February and had no issues with meth. Had some fuel trim issues on the way back and the dealer discovered that one of the turbo inlet clamps were not sealing. To do the smoke tests etc, they had to take all this apart a few times.

So far, very consistant as it was before. Just a pain in the ass to troubleshoot but between Jeff Howerton (awesome guy) and Shiv (Also awesome) we narrowed down what it couldn't be and worked from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Wow fingers crossed that this permanently fixes the issue. I know you have been experiencing issues for some time now.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0