F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Apps / Enhanced BT & USB
ARMA SPEED

05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

BMW Apps / Enhanced BT & USB

My car is ordered, and I opted against getting BMW Apps, because from what I could tell, all it did for me was allow me to post to Facebook/Twitter or listen to Pandora. I really don't give a crap about any of those things so I didn't get the option.

However, after doing some digging it looks like if you don't get this option, you also can't stream bluetooth music, AND you have to buy a Y-cable in order to integrate your iPod into the iDrive system. It also appears that you don't get some voice activation features...not exactly sure what. This rather pisses me off, as it certainly wasn't made clear to me by the salesman nor the brochures and online materials I found. I also think having to buy a $70 cable after buying a $50,000 car just to get my iPod to work is complete BS. So...I have two questions:

1.) What voice control features do you not get if you don't get the BMW Apps w/Enhanced BT & USB? For example, if I hit the voice button and say 'Play Modest Mouse' or something would that work only if I had gotten this option? Can someone with these upgrades chime in as to what exactly I'm missing?

2.) Since it seems this is largely a software option, is it at all possible to purchase this as an add-on from my dealer after taking delivery?

Any help and information is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Apps and Enhanced BT w/USB are 2 different things. The former is $250, the latter $650. You can get the Enhanced BT w/o Apps, but not vice versa.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
Apps and Enhanced BT w/USB are 2 different things. The former is $250, the latter $650. You can get the Enhanced BT w/o Apps, but not vice versa.
Ok, regardless, what features am I actually missing out on, and can it be upgraded after purchase?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

and w/ Apps you can use the awesome iPhone snap in media adapter
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
You are missing out on:

My BMW remote app (you can Un/lock, flash lights, honk horn, track car from app)

BMW connected app
full control of Pandora from iDrive
MOG
Facebook feed
Twitter feed
International radio (you can tune into most stations in different countries)

you also get a discount on your car insurance for BMW assist its like OnStar or Lojack

I am still learning how to use it but thats what i know so far
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
You are missing out on:

My BMW remote app (you can Un/lock, flash lights, honk horn, track car from app)

BMW connected app
MOG
Facebook feed
Twitter feed

you also get a discount on your car insurance for BMW assist its like OnStar or Lojack

What about voice control?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
What about voice control?
I've only been with her for a day so I didn't hit that button as yet. I'm not a fan of voice control I used Siri on day one and that was the last time.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've only been with her for a day so I didn't hit that button as yet. I'm not a fan of voice control I used Siri on day one and that was the last time.
Ok, thanks.

Anyone else? I'm really interested to find out if I can add this on after I receive the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
and w/ Apps you can use the awesome iPhone snap in media adapter
PS - using the snap in media adapter also lets you have a MUCH nicer interface for controlling music on a iPhone

I'd take a pic, but i have to have my phone in the cradle for it work
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
PS - using the snap in media adapter also lets you have a MUCH nicer interface for controlling music on a iPhone

I'd take a pic, but i have to have my phone in the cradle for it work
Yeh, I love the Pandora interface on it too. I need to try playing some videos from the ipod to see how that works.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
jeanchristophele
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
Oh sweet you can play videos from the iphone/ipod with bmw apps?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanchristophele View Post
Oh sweet you can play videos from the iphone/ipod with bmw apps?
I read that you can I don't get the chance to test it out as yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
You are missing out on:

BMW connected app
MOG
Facebook feed
Twitter feed

This is going to sound like a dumb question but I have the BMW apps but MOG or Pandora doesn't show in the menu when I use Connected app. Am I missing something here ?

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4budak View Post
This is going to sound like a dumb question but I have the BMW apps but MOG or Pandora doesn't show in the menu when I use Connected app. Am I missing something here ?
LOL every time I come out of this thread someone else post something new...LOL

Load Pandora or MOG on iPhone then you will see Pandora or MOG show up below BMW Apps
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
a4budak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
LOL every time I come out of this thread someone else post something new...LOL

Load Pandora or MOG on iPhone then you will see Pandora or MOG show up below BMW Apps
They are both loaded on iPhone...Now this is going to drive me crazy all day.

2012 Acura MDX w/ Technology & Entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Not to be a dick, but this thread has kind of really gotten off topic of my original questions...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
jeanchristophele
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
Okay I'll just add BMW APP to my build list and worry about it later :smile:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Ok, thanks.

Anyone else? I'm really interested to find out if I can add this on after I receive the car?
Not sure if you can add BMW apps after the fact, but you can NOT add BMW Assist if you didn't order it in the build (unless you do some pretty major mods on the car). It's up to you whether you want it or not. I opted to go without BMW Assist. Dealer was confused on ordering the car cos the ordering system automatically adds BMW Assist if you buy the Tech Package.

When I received my car, the dealer was convinced that my iPhone will work with just the white cable. I said no, it will not work without Assist. He said he is so positive that it will work, that if it didn't he'll give me a y-cable for free. We ended up testing it, and he was surprised that it didn't work. He gave me a y-cable.

Later on, we discovered a y-cable comes packaged with the manual in the glove box. So I have 2.

According to nonBMW Assist vehicle deliveries taken on this forum, if you didn't get Assist, you should get a y-cable from the factory. This was the case for mine as well. We just didn't find it till later on.

BMW Assist is free for the first 4 years. After that, you have to pay a subscription. This is why I didn't want to get it.

Hope this has helped.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
You are missing out on:

BMW connected app
MOG
Facebook feed
Twitter feed
You forgot a few: wiki local (like Wikipedia but then like a tourguide thing), calendar and news (kind of useless).

Quote:

This depends on car insurance company, not all companies give you a discount for having this unfortunately.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Later on, we discovered a y-cable comes packaged with the manual in the glove box. So I have 2.

According to nonBMW Assist vehicle deliveries taken on this forum, if you didn't get Assist, you should get a y-cable from the factory. This was the case for mine as well. We just didn't find it till later on.
Do cars with Assist get this also, or is it just for cars without Assist? I can't remember seeing any, I simply kept my old one from my X5 lol

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4budak View Post
They are both loaded on iPhone...Now this is going to drive me crazy all day.
as in launch Pandora and then you will see it
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Not sure if you can add BMW apps after the fact, but you can NOT add BMW Assist if you didn't order it in the build (unless you do some pretty major mods on the car). It's up to you whether you want it or not. I opted to go without BMW Assist. Dealer was confused on ordering the car cos the ordering system automatically adds BMW Assist if you buy the Tech Package.

When I received my car, the dealer was convinced that my iPhone will work with just the white cable. I said no, it will not work without Assist. He said he is so positive that it will work, that if it didn't he'll give me a y-cable for free. We ended up testing it, and he was surprised that it didn't work. He gave me a y-cable.

BMW Assist is free for the first 4 years. After that, you have to pay a subscription. This is why I didn't want to get it.

Hope this has helped.
Thank you! This answers my questions perfectly. As long as a Y-cable comes with the car I'm happy. I just think it's absurd to ask customers to pay $70 for a cable to make your iPod work on your $50,000 car. As long as they give me said cable included, its all good.

I have done some Googling, and there is speculation that IF YOU GET THE NAV (regardless of BMW Assist) then your iPod should work with the Apple USB white cable and you do not need the BMW Y-Cable. If you DO NOT GET NAV then the Y-cable is required. Can anyone confirm this?

To clarify:

1.) You have an F30 with NAV
2.) You DO NOT have BMW Assist and/or BMW Apps or enhanced Blue Tooth & USB

Does your iPod integrate with iDrive with the standard Apple cable, or do you have to use the BMW Y-cable?
Appreciate 0