2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Wheel vibrations and possible fix? Aftermarket rims.

05-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Wheel vibrations and possible fix? Aftermarket rims.

I just installed some Vossen CV3 20" rims in 20x9 / 20x10.5 with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35-20 and 285/30-20.

The car had some steering wheel and seat vibrations at higher speeds. As a result I had the wheels balanced again with a road force machine and that got rid of 90% of the vibrations leaving a slight steering wheel vibrations in a specific speed range.

My dealer checked the Vossen rims and realized that there's a 0.25mm difference between the car and rim. This slight difference can cause a little vibration.

Most hub rings do not offer such a small size considering the thickness would be so slight and easily break.

One option that was suggested was using .001" (.25mm) metal shim stock which is a thin sheet of metal that can be cut to width and wrapped around the hub inserting the rim on top essentially getting rid of the small gap.

From my understanding, this would eliminate the .25mm gap and completely eliminate any type of vibrations.

Custom hub rings can be made in that size but odds are they'll break during installation or while driving.

From the sound of it....a lot of rims that are fully hubcentric actually aren't. There's more often than not a very small difference that can be as little as .001" that will cause vibrations.

Can anyone comment on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

see another thread in this section where there has been some discussion on this topic.

justforwheels.com is where i bought my hub rings from and they came in different sizes and are made out of aluminum. If you wanted to try the metal tape that race cars use to put over there wheel weights that would work and you can make it as thick or thin as you need. That is what i did until i received my hub centric rings.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
longtran@ltbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota Tundra

.001? I do not think that will make the wheels to shake. Did the dealer mount the tires properly? or ask them to balance the wheels by itself to see if it is bend.

Match-Mounting

Match-mounting a tire is a recommended procedure that many qualified tire technicians are aware of. Many quality tires come with small painted indicator marks on them that should be aligned to marks on the rim or the valve stem of the tire. Although not all tires use match-mounting indicators on the sidewall, when they do, it is recommended that they be employed when mounting the tire. Yellow marks indicate the weight balance of the tire and should be aligned to the valve stem of the tire. Red marks indicate the uniformity of the tire and should be aligned with a marking on the rim indicating the minimal run-out of the rim.

Unidirectional tires, also known as directional tires, need to be mounted onto the wheel rims by application to the direction of the tread. This might be the only time where match-mounting is ineffective to mounting at least two of the tires because the indicators will be painted on the opposite side of the sidewall and difficult to align properly to the valve stem or rim marking.

Properly balancing the tire after mounting will help minimize the inability to match-mount properly, but may require more weight on the wheel rim.

When match-mounting, the painted indicators on the sidewall of the tire should be facing upward in order to successfully match-mount the tire.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

.25mm is .01 inches and could cause vibration.
Appreciate 0