E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > brakes bedding in help!

05-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

brakes bedding in help!

i just got my new R1 concepts rotors and EBC redstuff pads installed yesterday afternoon at RMP motors and they said that they did the initial bed in procedure for me. at first everything sounded fine and felt good, no squeal or anything. but after driving on the highway on my way back to work from picking up the car, i noticed the brakes started to squeal louder and louder, this was with very gentle braking going slowly. i figured its just the break in period for the brakes and it will go away if i do the bed in procedure again. so i took my car to some back empty roads and braked hard from 100km/h to ~15km/h about 8 - 10 times. after about the 7th time i noticed my brakes started to smoke which i wasn't concerned about because it said on the ebc package that the smoke is just the resin burning off the pads. but after the 8th and 9th time it felt like i pretty much had no brakes left, it was kinda scary because i was trying to slow down but the brakes barely had any affect. i drove around to let them cool and the noise was gone. but later in the day i went out again and the squeal came back. so later in the night i did the bed in again... same affect after the 8 -9th time the brakes felt like they weren't working, i could smell them again.

my question is.. i thought that during the bed in period you should be able to feel the brakes grip more and more.... not fade away throughout the procedure... am i doing something wrong? am i overheating the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Your bedding procedure sounds correct. Maybe they didnt put any anti squeal on the back pf the pads? Or could just be the pad/rotor combination.
      05-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
abhishriv
Major
Rep

woohoo! the second bedding in process i did in the night time cured the squeal!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
abhishriv
Major
Rep

looks like i spoke too soon.. light squeal is back when the car is just about to stop. i think its being caused by light scratches on the surface of the rotors from the machining process. the first 2 bed in procedures helped to get rid of majority of them (and also cured 90% of the squeal) but still faint scratches left.. should i do another round of the bed in procedure? or just drive normally and hope it goes away over time?
Appreciate 0