E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My First Time Modding... Input Appreciated!

05-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Danny6612
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

My First Time Modding... Input Appreciated!

Hey Everyone,

So I recently bought a 2008 335i E90 at the end of last year and since the warranty is running up and I am stumbling upon a decent chunk of money, I am thinking about modding my car.

This would be the first time I have ever modded a car so my knowledge is very low... I have spent the last week reading up on everything from BMW naming schemes to the air management system in general (I didn't know what E90 meant to put things in perspective). I feel safe actually posting now.

This car is my daily driver so I want to get a feel from others... 1) Do many of you use your modded car as your daily driver? I haven't decided what level of track racing I intend to do with it, especially knowing the risks of pushing it.

My goals for this car are as follows:
-400hp without using a meth kit... (The meth kit seems the most difficult to apply and use correctly and has the biggest chance of causing serious damage from failure.)
-Keep noise from being too loud/raspy and having a drone. I hate civic "road mosquitos."
-Street legal in Kentucky or easy to swap out before inspection
-Keep cost around $3k-4k when said and done
That being said, this is my plan so far.

TUNE
I am leaning towards the JB4 mostly on cost. 2) Is there much of a difference between JB4 and the PROcede v5? From what I have seen it doesn't seem like it.

FMIC
Helix
HPF
ER
ETS
I am leaning towards the Helix most likely. I don't have much to base that off of except just what some people suggested in different threads and the install video looked simple enough.

Downpipe
VRSF seems to be the overwhelming selection from a price and quality pick. My only concern is how it will affect the noise when coupled with different exhaust system.

Exhaust
This area is my biggest hang up... I am struggling finding good information on what exhaust system to use. First off, 3) How much does an exhaust system even affect your hp? 4) Will stock exhaust with a VRSF downpipe sound "good", or does anyone have a video example to comparing stock with just a downpipe upgrade? The systems I have found are
ETS
HPF
AFE Mach Force
AP Catback
Borla Catback
UUC Motorwerks Silencer

Intake (DCI)

Looking at BMS one for $99... saw some others for $400+ but doubt the cost difference is worth it.

Sorry for the long post... let me know what you all think!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Go with your suggestions and what fits your budget, Most likely you wont gain any more with going with the cheaper options rather then the more expensive.

you can even keep stock exhaust, its the most pricey and does the least for performance. everything else your good. you can get 400hp from those mods. tune+intake+intercooler+dp all could be done less then 2 grand. (used jb4 (<400), Intercooler(1000), dci(100), (400) for dp)

I use a tune and intake, because of warranty. Easy to take in and out if you have to go in for service. and happy with the power for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

You seem like you've already got a good plan.

Here's my 2 cents: JB4, ETS 5" FMIC(the Helix is a VERY good intercooler, maybe the best. But the ETS is cheaper, still very good quality and more than likely all you'll ever need.), BMS DCI, and VRSF DPs. Leave the exhaust stock, it'll sound good but not too loud.

You may not be guaranteed 400whp, but you'll be damn close.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
tanginaglaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

If you plan on tracking it at all, I would invest on the driver (more track time and classes).
      05-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

i would suggest looking more into the ER fmic an learning about it - they spent a ton of time moding and reforming the fmic to perfect the size and shape for maximum benefits, they have a nice write up on their website you should check it out -
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny6612 View Post
TUNE
I am leaning towards the JB4 mostly on cost. 2) Is there much of a difference between JB4 and the PROcede v5? From what I have seen it doesn't seem like it.
Definitely do more research here. They are functionally very different.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

So I recently bought a 2008 335i E90 at the end of last year and since the warranty is running up and I am stumbling upon a decent chunk of money, I am thinking about modding my car.

This would be the first time I have ever modded a car so my knowledge is very low... I have spent the last week reading up on everything from BMW naming schemes to the air management system in general (I didn't know what E90 meant to put things in perspective). I feel safe actually posting now.

This car is my daily driver so I want to get a feel from others... 1) Do many of you use your modded car as your daily driver? I haven't decided what level of track racing I intend to do with it, especially knowing the risks of pushing it.

My goals for this car are as follows:
-400hp without using a meth kit... (The meth kit seems the most difficult to apply and use correctly and has the biggest chance of causing serious damage from failure.)
-Keep noise from being too loud/raspy and having a drone. I hate civic "road mosquitos."
-Street legal in Kentucky or easy to swap out before inspection
-Keep cost around $3k-4k when said and done
That being said, this is my plan so far.

TUNE

FMIC
Helix
HPF
ER
ETS
I am leaning towards the Helix most likely. I don't have much to base that off of except just what some people suggested in different threads and the install video looked simple enough.

Downpipe
VRSF seems to be the overwhelming selection from a price and quality pick. My only concern is how it will affect the noise when coupled with different exhaust system.

Exhaust
This area is my biggest hang up... I am struggling finding good information on what exhaust system to use. First off, 3) How much does an exhaust system even affect your hp? 4) Will stock exhaust with a VRSF downpipe sound "good", or does anyone have a video example to comparing stock with just a downpipe upgrade? The systems I have found are
ETS
HPF
AFE Mach Force
AP Catback
Borla Catback
UUC Motorwerks Silencer

Intake (DCI)

Looking at BMS one for $99... saw some others for $400+ but doubt the cost difference is worth it.

Sorry for the long post... let me know what you all think!

Take a look at some of the recent dynos that we have measured using our software!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688000

For your goals, I think you would really enjoy the smoothness and reliability that comes with a flash.

If you want to discuss specifics for your car, feel free to shoot me an email (see my signature below).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
old account 2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Stage 3 B5 S4, C5 Z06

Not to mention GIAC software currently powers the Berk Technology 135i and Evolution Racewerks 135i which compete in Redline Time Attack. More recently, we completed the software for GMG Racing's Audi R8 LMS that competed in the Long Beach Grand Prix.

As far as "pushing it" goes, GIAC software is designed to ensure the reliability of your automobile both on the street, as well as on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
CUTigers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [10.00]
2008 e90 335i  [9.00]
Get everything you want and installed before exhaust. A lot of people like the factory exhaust with downpipes. I would see how you like it like that, before spending a good chunk of change on an exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #10
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

See my mods in my signature....they all rock!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

AE exhaust and MS DPs sound fantastic.
      05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
itsmeek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi

To echo others here, JB4, DCI's, Intercooler, Downpipe, Suspension, Wheels, in that order then whatever else you like. Exhaust last, or just have your mufflers cut out
2010 Prius
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

OP, I think you are spot on with your choices within your budget.

As for the exhaust, if you are mainly into power rather than sound - at this power level - just cut the secondary cats from the stock exhaust and replace them with Vibrant 1792 resonators. If you have the stock downpipes installed when you do the smog inspection you will pass regardless of the secondary cats being present or not. This saves you a great deal of money too, and spares your ears from the drone that is a hit-or-miss with all aftermarket exhausts.

Also, don't be afraid of methanol injection. I had the same worries as you had but then I realized how easy and secure it is. A basic kit with on-off boost switch will suffice to make all the power you want. But it does drink quite a lot more meth than a progressive kit. I know that one of the fastest cars on the forum uses a basic kit. Just make sure you mount the meth tank in the trunk and NOT use the windshield washer tank in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

In terms of a tune, they will all get you the power to benefit from your mods.

If you have no plans on running meth injection in the near future, my recommendation would be Cobb. If you plan on running it sooner rather than later i'd go JB4. I own both tunes, and have run the Procede as well for an extended period of time.

In terms of bolt ons get the cheapest possible options you can find. VRSF and ETS are fine choices. They will all provide the same benefit. I'd also skip the exhaust if drone and noise is an issue. The gains are marginal if that.

Just ensure there is no visual for inspection in your state and you can simply wire in a downpipe fix from BMS, follow instructions, let it adapt and it will work fine without having to tear your car apart yearly.

If you have not done so recently, BUY A NEW SET OF SPARK PLUGS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
      05-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Danny6612
Rep

I appreciate all the feedback so quickly everyone!

I definitely will look into the GIAC more... The original thread I looked at didn't have it included on it's list. Is GIAC self installed or do I have to take it to a dealer/need special tool? Part of the reason I was looking at JB4 and PROcede v5 is that they were chips I could install myself from what I gathered.

As for FMIC, does anyone have experience installing the different models and has input on how easy/difficult they are? I would prefer not to do any cutting since I don't have a backup vehicle should I screw something up.

It looks like I will be waiting before modding the exhaust at all... thanks for the tips!

themyst, do you mean get them replaced with regular maintenance or actually go buy new aftermarket ones?

As for wheels, I plan on getting new ones. I like these
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand
but that is basing mostly off of looks... I imagine handling and dynamics comes more from the tire than the wheel. I also like Konig and Enkei in general for their price and style. If someone wants to show off some of there wheels here I wouldn't hate it
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

GIAC has zero resale value. Any advantage they have with race maps will be gone when Cobb releases theirs soon. It's the best solution for your planned setup.

If u didn't get ur plugs done under 45k maintenance go to the dealer and get it done.
      05-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
I definitely will look into the GIAC more... The original thread I looked at didn't have it included on it's list. Is GIAC self installed or do I have to take it to a dealer/need special tool? Part of the reason I was looking at JB4 and PROcede v5 is that they were chips I could install myself from what I gathered.
I have to say that GIAC is the most expensive of all tunes. It does not have resale value. It is installed at GIAC dealers. BUT is the most realiable and trouble-free and smooth tune of all, while giving you the same power as the other tunes. It is a set-and-forget tune. It's like your car came this way from factory and you don't want anything changed (except of course, more power which never hurts )

I have never ever had any misfire or engine code in 3 years of ownership. I wouldn't even compare it to the likes of Cobb (at this current point in time) because right now Cobb users spend more time updating maps and solving misfires / cleaning valves, changing injectors, coils and plugs in the hope of fixing the issues, than driving their car
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Definitely do more research here. They are functionally very different.
1. As fun as it sounds, Dont want to get into the whole tune debate, but I can say that the procede is well worth it. It is smooth like stock and feels like a cleaner, more managed boost that delivers a true autotune

I used [the other piggy back tune] for a few months and it felt like a bucking bronco, read and ask questions, but be sure to ask if they tried anything else.

Any everything i have read about the Cobb is on the "for sale" forums

2. I am FMIC shopping too, but definitely get a chagre pipe with Blow off valve if you a re running a tuner

3. Downpipes and exhaust would deliver another 20-30whp tuned.

4. Intakes are questionable unless fully modded , but the DCI has reported to 10hp gains

Is cool to want all these parts but figure out what they do first then determine if they are for you. I am not heavily modded but I use the aFe superstock air scoops and filter... why because the stock airbox is just as good and $300-$500 for cones that breather the engines hot air does not make sense to me.

I have the lates procede v5 r3, why?, it was reccomended to me so I looked furnther into it , the more i research the more it made sense.

I am shopping for a Charge Pipe and BOV , Why because the boost increasd = more pressure build up , more pressure build up in the turbos = combustion

I am also looking at an FMIC, Downpipes , Cat Back, Coils, forged wheels and all that good stuff , but need to know why before justifying the expense.

Last edited by VaDuro; 05-11-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Danny6612
Rep

Gotcha... I bought it at 40K and took it in right away and they replaced them. It is all caught up on it's vaccinations.... Now I just have to drive it aggressively enough to make sure the brakes can be replaced before the 50k mark

Also, sorry for my last post... forgot this forum is for engine/exhaust mods only
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
Danny6612
Rep

Thanks DoingIT77... That is what I am trying to do. After starting this forum, I had my mind kind of made up already but I am glad people have been making me question some of my initial decisions.

Mostly it revolves around the tune and which one to choose. It is looking like shelling out the money and getting a professional install might be more the way to go for me due to my lack of experience and it being my daily driver.

It is funny you mention the charge pipes and BOV. A lot of the posts on here recommend tune>FMIC>DP>meth>DCI>exhaust or some variation of that sequence. Initially when I read the air management guide for the N54 it made sense that the charge pipe should get some attention, but I haven't seen that yet. Anyone have insight into this?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Thanks DoingIT77... That is what I am trying to do. After starting this forum, I had my mind kind of made up already but I am glad people have been making me question some of my initial decisions.

Mostly it revolves around the tune and which one to choose. It is looking like shelling out the money and getting a professional install might be more the way to go for me due to my lack of experience and it being my daily driver.

It is funny you mention the charge pipes and BOV. A lot of the posts on here recommend tune>FMIC>DP>meth>DCI>exhaust or some variation of that sequence. Initially when I read the air management guide for the N54 it made sense that the charge pipe should get some attention, but I haven't seen that yet. Anyone have insight into this?
The truth will set you free..protect the turbos

Blow-off Control
The blow-off valves in the N54 engine reduce unwanted peaks in boost pressure which
can occur when the throttle valve closes quickly. They therefore have an important
function with regard to engine acoustics and help to protect the turbocharger components.
A vacuum pressure is generated in the intake manifold when the throttle valve is closed at
high engine speeds. This leads to a build-up of high dynamic pressure after the
compressor which cannot escape because the route to the intake manifold is blocked.
This leads to a "pumping up" of the turbocharger which means that:
• a clearly noticeable, disruptive pumping noise can be heard,
• and this pumping noise is accompanied by a component-damaging load being
exerted on the turbocharger, since high-frequency pressure waves exert axial load on
the turbocharger bearings
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2007 ENGINE INTRODUCTION.pdf (405.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf 2007 ENGINE MANAGEMENT.pdf (1.11 MB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf 2007 ENGINE MECHANICAL.pdf (528.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf 2007 ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.pdf (333.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by VaDuro; 05-11-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Gotcha... I bought it at 40K and took it in right away and they replaced them. It is all caught up on it's vaccinations.... Now I just have to drive it aggressively enough to make sure the brakes can be replaced before the 50k mark

Also, sorry for my last post... forgot this forum is for engine/exhaust mods only
Here's my 2 cents, was kinda in the same boat as you that I wanted to get as much power as possible out of my 335i without meth.
Tune:
While I probably know a lot more than you did when I get my BMW, technically I am not brightest and wanted to go with a tune (the foundation for all your mods) that was going to protect my DD while giving me the best performance. I really like the features & performance gains people have seen with either of the plug-in systems (PROcede & JB4), but didn't feel comfortable going under the hood and unplugging wires. The COBB AP is a little more expensive, but it is easily the most simple to install -- All you do is take your AccessPORT + flash the DME through the OBD port (you never lift the hood).

Intake
All are good and if you buy used there are even more to pick from (and let you save some more money for other mods). The BMS/Vishnu are the most popular DCI's, the aFe intake is also very popular - does cost a little more but it maintains a "cleaner" appearance of the engine bay.

DPs
Once again, as long as you avoid the super cheap brands you'll be fine. VRSFs are very good, some people complain about the raspy-ness, but with a stock exhaust IMO the sound fine. If you can find used Active Autowerke, ARs, Macht Schnell or UR's. I don't know how they conduct emission testing in KY, but I know in NJ they do an OBD port so I will have to purchase a BMS DP Fix when that comes up.

FMIC
A very important mod, brings your IAT's drastically and give you quality performance over a long-period of aggressive driving. The big FMIC's are Helix, Wanger, ETS, AMS, HPF, and ER. I've personally decided to go with Helix, I like the stepped design and I live in NJ so going to their HQ in Philadelphia is also really convenient.

Exhaust
This will probably be the most expensive upgrade (especially if you can't find anything used and need to buy new). Akrapovic (will be the most expensive, but its also the most respected), Eisenmann, Remus, UR, AA, ETS and Vanguard are all really good. I'd also recommend investigating in axle-back options (give you a slightly different sound than a cat-back), some companies for that are Billy Boat + Rogue Engineering.

As for tracking, I don't right now and prob won't (if much at all) since I don't want to abuse my AT like that. Personally I'd be more interested in upgrading to RB turbos in the future and just have an absolute road monster.
Appreciate 0