E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > F30 335 Review

05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

F30 335 Review

Hi All,

Just got back from taking a new 335i sport line out for an extended (40km) test drive, thought I'd share some thoughts with you...

The Good:

- That gearbox.... My god, that gearbox! I am blown away with how well it works with the N55 engine, the blip on down shift and the speed of the changes is superb.. Makes my old 6AT look like an old termec!

- The stock sound system (now logic 7) is superb, and again a vast improvement over my current 335i

- The brakes, whilst performance feels no better than my car (worse infact), but they have FINALLY put a good looking caliper on the front end of these cars

- RFTs are vastly improved when coupled with the standard suspension.

The bad:

- The iDrive screen.. When it's running, it's fine, but at all other times, god it's ugly

- Map navigation resolution is still poor when compared to Merc or alike

- A lot of the original 335i standard inclusions are now options (TV, Comfort Access etc)

- Active Cruise can not be optioned

- White/Beige leather can not be optioned

- Door Grabs are inferior to the E9X's and feel like an after thought.

In short the 335i F30 is a great car, but it's only really better than the E9X thanks to its new gear box, in almost every other way I found the older either as competent, or better.

Looks like I will be leaving the BMW badge for a while..
      05-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep

Should add, on the way home I finally got a chance to run my car against an e92 M3, and after two 100% runs, I'm stoked to say that in a straight line, the old 335i is quicker, took a while (long while) to get the grin off my face.

And before the haters start, no I don't think my car is an M3, yes I still want an ///M, but still I'm pretty damn pleased with the result
      05-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

great review, does anyone else think that the f30 just doesnt look as nice as it's predecessor?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I wouldn't mind an F30 Msport... but would regret it once the F32 Msport comes out.

Yes that gearbox is great, sampled it in the F10.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

I'm not feeling the new model at all, I'll wait to see what the coupe is like or could be gtr time?

Suff stop upsetting the m3 owners. A mate has an 09 manual and cringes every time a 1er pulls up beside him, poor bastard LMFAO.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
does anyone else think that the f30 just doesnt look as nice as it's predecessor?
No.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Why not keep what you have?

I had a 1998 5 series and after 4 years swapped it for a 330i and regretted my decision. Although the engine was better in the 330i, the rest of the car was inferior. Now I have a 335i and more than happy to keep it for a few years (bought in Feb 2009), besides, can't afford a new one any more
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Hi All,

Just got back from taking a new 335i sport line out for an extended (40km) test drive, thought I'd share some thoughts with you...

The Good:

- That gearbox.... My god, that gearbox! I am blown away with how well it works with the N55 engine, the blip on down shift and the speed of the changes is superb.. Makes my old 6AT look like an old termec!

- The stock sound system (now logic 7) is superb, and again a vast improvement over my current 335i

- The brakes, whilst performance feels no better than my car (worse infact), but they have FINALLY put a good looking caliper on the front end of these cars

- RFTs are vastly improved when coupled with the standard suspension.

The bad:

- The iDrive screen.. When it's running, it's fine, but at all other times, god it's ugly

- Map navigation resolution is still poor when compared to Merc or alike

- A lot of the original 335i standard inclusions are now options (TV, Comfort Access etc)

- Active Cruise can not be optioned

- White/Beige leather can not be optioned

- Door Grabs are inferior to the E9X's and feel like an after thought.

In short the 335i F30 is a great car, but it's only really better than the E9X thanks to its new gear box, in almost every other way I found the older either as competent, or better.

Sounds like you had a blast! FYI pretty sure comfort access was an option on the E9X platform, when I was looking at 335i most of them don't have it.

What car will you be going into ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
I'm not feeling the new model at all, I'll wait to see what the coupe is like or could be gtr time?

Suff stop upsetting the m3 owners. A mate has an 09 manual and cringes every time a 1er pulls up beside him, poor bastard LMFAO.
Your mate shouldn't be ashamed for being afraid of us 1er

Last edited by RaihaX; 05-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep

Comfort access was a standard fitment on the '07 335i, not sure about later models? It was certainly an option on lower models.

In regards to the looks, I wouldnt say that the F30 is any worse, or better than the E9X, it just seems less coherent, silly things like the door grabs on the E90 that go right along the length of the door in an E9X are now only half length in the F30, still perfectly useable, but just feels, well... cheap.

I must admit the front end treatment of the F30 does look good, it took me quite a while to come around, but I am now a fan, and having looked at the M-Sport front end against the Sport Line, it looks even better.. and the M-Sport Blue = YUM!

What really hit home the difference was a sit in the new RR Evoque. Whilst I didnt take one for a drive, I had time to sit in a top of the range Dynamic with the full sports interior. The quality of the leather, the layout, user interface etc are all noticeably better than the 335i, which is a shame as the 335i is the better car dynamically. Feels like BMW are doing a porsche and are getting a bit lazy onthe design front in some aspects (cut and shut of some components) and are going korean on other parts (have a look at the front bar on the Sport Line as well as the split dash trims.. seriously there is more bits of different coloured plastic on them than in a hookers top draw!)

Oh.. and the M3 vs 335i.. STILL GRINNING

I'm kicking myself for not putting a deposit on a White M5 that recently came up onto the market.. I umm'd and ahh'd for far to long (as usual) thinking that it would be more sensible to get a new F30 rather than an older E60.. IDIOT
      05-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Comfort access was a standard fitment on the '07 335i, not sure about later models? It was certainly an option on lower models.

I'm kicking myself for not putting a deposit on a White M5 that recently came up onto the market.. I umm'd and ahh'd for far to long (as usual) thinking that it would be more sensible to get a new F30 rather than an older E60.. IDIOT
Ah ok didn't realise that.

I didn't know the M Sport line is already out - should go to AC to check it out.

Man should have got the E60 M5, my workmate just got one and that V10 is a beast.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
pavo335
Banned
Rep

comfort access was definately not std on the 09 E92 335. TBH I dont want it and I would feel cheated If i didnt get to put my thing in the hole every day
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
comfort access was definately not std on the 09 E92 335. TBH I dont want it and I would feel cheated If i didnt get to put my thing in the hole every day
Poor Rossi....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Poor Rossi....
I think he prefers to get something put in his hole
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
I think he prefers to get something put in his hole
+1
"SOLD"-09LCI-E90-320D-Black Sapphire Metallic- Superchip - OEM 189 wheel - City Vision Angel Eye - Matt Black Grill - K&N 57i Air Intake - XForce exhaust tip with Muffler delete - Eibach pro kit & Msport steering wheel, Yellow caliper BIG Thanks to bmroxm5 - Koni Yellow + e36 M3 Front bump stop/M-sport rear bump stop -Hankook V12
Appreciate 0