E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pics and PROcede Install/Initial Experiences

05-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Pics and PROcede Install/Initial Experiences

I picked up my stock 2009 335i 6MT Coupe about a month ago and have been carefully scouring these forums for advice and information pertaining to worthwhile modifications. The first thing I did was to get rid of those plain jane 189's and buy a set of 19" Gunmetal Replica M3 GTS wheels with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires. Hong Kong has a tropical climate, so i wanted some tires that wouldn't get squirmy when it rains. They are awesome, very hard to break loose, awesome tread pattern, and great value for money too. The wheels look awesome too (see pics)

The next thing was deciding on a tune. After spending hours researching the 3 big boys in the N54 game, I immediately discounted the JB4 because of that whole ignition timing debacle. The ease of intall for the Cobb AP was tempting, but i read several reviews saying that said power delivery was a little erratic and also, since they're a little new to the N54 I didn't want to take any chances. Finally, I picked the PROcede V5 because I was really impressed that Shiv has been responsible for many of of innovations on this platform. Also, it seemed like there was a consistent consensus that the PROcede ups power levels dramatically, while maintaining stock-like drivability. Heck, if that meant that it would take up 45 minutes of my day on a Sunday and I would learn a little bit about the insides of my car that i wouldn't otherwise, then I wasn't going to complain.

My PROcede arrived in Hong Kong via USPS about 5 days after i ordered it directly from Robert@Vishnu. He did a great job at answering all of my questions and getting me set up. The harness and Procede came very well packed in bubble paper and Vishnu included a whole bunch of stickers, which i'm a little unsure of what to do with, but very cool nonetheless . Anyway, I finally got around to installing it yesterday. It took about an hour and half, but before you judge me, I had to do it in my building's underground parking garage with ambient temperatures of about 35 degrees celsius (95F). Needless to say, i got a little lightheaded every once in a while. Honestly, watching the video's, I was a little intimidated by all those wires, but its actually very straight forward once you get in there. All of the wires in the Procede wiring harness are exactly the right length so there's no clutter. Unless you're a complete ape, you can't mess it up.

One word of advice, don't try and push the factory power source too hard into the procede connector. Just wiggle it gently and don't get frustrated it it doesn't reach the very end. I let the heat get to me and wouldn't give up until i ended up bending the factory power source connector. Not ideal. Anyway, the car started up just fine and didn't throw any codes. My car doesn't have cruise control, but i was able to cycle through the maps with the DTC button.

I've only driven my car twice since installing the Procede, but it feels and drives like a different car. The exhaust note is a lot raspier and the throttle response is just beautiful. It's very easy to modulate the power. Hong Kong is the type of place where you want immediate torque response to find gaps in traffic. When you're crawling along, the PROcede is tame, when you get a little room, it transforms into a guided missile. The transitions are seamless. I haven't had a chance to do any third gear pulls because i simply haven't had enough room, but the power does feel like its coming on stronger the more i drive. Does anyone know if I should reset map 1 when i finally do get a chance to do 3rd and 4th gear pulls, or should i just let autotuning do its job continuously?

Anyway, here are some picture of my car. Enjoy!
Attached Images

PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212

Last edited by Laguna Seca Blue; 05-07-2012 at 04:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
cool car but that rear fenders u are using from dirt i recommend take out looks weird, now its like subaru sti or wrx....
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **335i** View Post
cool car but that rear fenders u are using from dirt i recommend take out looks weird, now its like subaru sti or wrx....
That's going to be my next mod!

I totally agree, those mud-flaps are hideous. I can't believe there's a DIY on here about how to put them on, I want one on how to take them off! That and I'm getting matte black kidney grilles, then i'm done with cosmetic mods.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
White e90s are lovely. Glad you are enjoying it! No need to change maps or anything. Just keep on driving and let the DME do whatever adapting it needs to do. Autotuning is disabled with the current beta maps FYI.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 05-07-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
White e90s are lovely. Glad you are enjoying it! No need to change maps or anything. Just keep on driving and let the DME do whatever adapting it needs to do. Autotuning is disabled with the current beta maps FYI.
Thanks Shiv, just spoke to Gary. Really knowledgable and patient guy, A+ for customer service

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
messi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i MSport Coupe 6AT

thanks for the review.. this is definitely my first mod and i am happy to hear that you are relatively non techy like myself. Only thing is you guys get 100ron fuel right?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
MIC328i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Congratz on the proceed, I have it myself and I can't say any bad things about it. Drop the car a little and it'll look amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Themythx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Welcome, procede is great! Nice car too
      05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by messi View Post
thanks for the review.. this is definitely my first mod and i am happy to hear that you are relatively non techy like myself. Only thing is you guys get 100ron fuel right?
Good luck! Shiv and his team are great. We get two grades of petrol here, both are minimum 98 RON. According to the Shell website, V-Power has cleaning agents while the regular variant doesn't. Does anyone know if it's worth paying extra for V-Power?

Mic328i - I'm planning on doing a suspension upgrade, but I'm a little torn deciding whether to do coilovers or shock/springs. I'm fairly happy with the ride height. I'd prefer not to worry about scraping the bottom of my car off getting in an out of parking garages. Any suggestions would be great!

Themythx- Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

UPDATE - I'm running my first tank of Shell V-Power, and the car is flying like a raped ape in map 1. I read somewhere that HK's V-Power is actually pretty consistently 110 RON, so i thought i'd give it a try. Too bad about your crappy fuel in America, but i'd trade it in a heartbeat for your open roads (and 50% lower gas prices)

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
UPDATE - I'm running my first tank of Shell V-Power, and the car is flying like a raped ape in map 1. I read somewhere that HK's V-Power is actually pretty consistently 110 RON, so i thought i'd give it a try. Too bad about your crappy fuel in America, but i'd trade it in a heartbeat for your open roads (and 50% lower gas prices)
here in swiss i use shell v power 100 (v power performance fuel) also good petrol
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
N54CoupeHP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Garage List
2012 335is  [9.66]
Quote:
I picked up my stock 2009 335i 6MT Coupe about a month ago and have been carefully scouring these forums for advice and information pertaining to worthwhile modifications. The first thing I did was to get rid of those plain jane 189's and buy a set of 19" Gunmetal Replica M3 GTS wheels with BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires. Hong Kong has a tropical climate, so i wanted some tires that wouldn't get squirmy when it rains. They are awesome, very hard to break loose, awesome tread pattern, and great value for money too. The wheels look awesome too (see pics)

The next thing was deciding on a tune. After spending hours researching the 3 big boys in the N54 game, I immediately discounted the JB4 because of that whole ignition timing debacle. The ease of intall for the Cobb AP was tempting, but i read several reviews saying that said power delivery was a little erratic and also, since they're a little new to the N54 I didn't want to take any chances. Finally, I picked the PROcede V5 because I was really impressed that Shiv has been responsible for many of of innovations on this platform. Also, it seemed like there was a consistent consensus that the PROcede ups power levels dramatically, while maintaining stock-like drivability. Heck, if that meant that it would take up 45 minutes of my day on a Sunday and I would learn a little bit about the insides of my car that i wouldn't otherwise, then I wasn't going to complain.

My PROcede arrived in Hong Kong via USPS about 5 days after i ordered it directly from Robert@Vishnu. He did a great job at answering all of my questions and getting me set up. The harness and Procede came very well packed in bubble paper and Vishnu included a whole bunch of stickers, which i'm a little unsure of what to do with, but very cool nonetheless . Anyway, I finally got around to installing it yesterday. It took about an hour and half, but before you judge me, I had to do it in my building's underground parking garage with ambient temperatures of about 35 degrees celsius (95F). Needless to say, i got a little lightheaded every once in a while. Honestly, watching the video's, I was a little intimidated by all those wires, but its actually very straight forward once you get in there. All of the wires in the Procede wiring harness are exactly the right length so there's no clutter. Unless you're a complete ape, you can't mess it up.

One word of advice, don't try and push the factory power source too hard into the procede connector. Just wiggle it gently and don't get frustrated it it doesn't reach the very end. I let the heat get to me and wouldn't give up until i ended up bending the factory power source connector. Not ideal. Anyway, the car started up just fine and didn't throw any codes. My car doesn't have cruise control, but i was able to cycle through the maps with the DTC button.

I've only driven my car twice since installing the Procede, but it feels and drives like a different car. The exhaust note is a lot raspier and the throttle response is just beautiful. It's very easy to modulate the power. Hong Kong is the type of place where you want immediate torque response to find gaps in traffic. When you're crawling along, the PROcede is tame, when you get a little room, it transforms into a guided missile. The transitions are seamless. I haven't had a chance to do any third gear pulls because i simply haven't had enough room, but the power does feel like its coming on stronger the more i drive. Does anyone know if I should reset map 1 when i finally do get a chance to do 3rd and 4th gear pulls, or should i just let autotuning do its job continuously?

Anyway, here are some picture of my car. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Very nice! I think I am gonna get PrOcede v5 for my 335is.
TOOK DELIVERY 24 OCT 2011 [FIRST PICS] [INTERIOR PICS]
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

N54CoupeHP - Worth every penny. The power and responsiveness are addictive. I'm also finding that I'm able to modulate the throttle a lot better with the Procede engaged than without it.

Lastly, the ability to change maps on the fly and gauge-hijack is a definite advantage over flash tunes.

Last edited by Laguna Seca Blue; 05-29-2012 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
N54CoupeHP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 335is  [9.66]
Quote:
N54CoupeHP - Worth every penny. The power and responsiveness are addictive. I'm also finding that I'm able to modulate the throttle a lot better with the Procede engaged than without it.

Lastly, the ability to change maps on the fly and gauge-hijack is a definite advantage over flash tunes.
Wow, that is great to hear. I am so close to buying this
I had no idea rev3 was v5 lol I am such a newb. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CoupeHP View Post
Wow, that is great to hear. I am so close to buying this
I had no idea rev3 was v5 lol I am such a newb. Thanks man!
Yup, you'll love it. I looked at your pics, beautiful car. I noticed you have a manual like me, so you'll definitely benefit from the added throttle control

Rev 3 refers to the generation of hardware, and V5 pertains to the software. You'll notice that some people have slightly older versions of the hardware in their signatures, but are still running the latest V5 software. Hope that makes sense...

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
rascalion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Thanks for this writeup, I'm looking forward to getting my PROcede soon!

PS. I love those wheels. I may need to get a set.

New car: 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium. I got old, married and was given a budget.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

How about posting up some logs? They should be required for a tune review lol
Nice car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Haha, thanks guys. I'm just about to pull the trigger on some AST coilovers with Swift Springs and then I'm going to try and wean off the mod bug for a while...that is, after I get some Mtech Angel Eyes and Matte Black Kidney's

In regards to question about logs, my laptop is a mac and i'm not too keen on splitting the hard drive specifically for my PROcede. I'll pick up a netbook later this summer, and you guys can help me understand the logs!

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Crazylegs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Black on Red 335I

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ thats and a torrent of windows xp.iso is what i use no issues and only use like 5 gigs of my memory and causes absolutely no issues.

also no need to search for com ports it does it automatically as plug an play

Last edited by Crazylegs; 05-30-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: add more
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazylegs View Post
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ thats and a torrent of windows xp.iso is what i use no issues and only use like 5 gigs of my memory and causes absolutely no issues.

also no need to search for com ports it does it automatically as plug an play
Thanks! Gary@Vishnu recommended that program to me too, but I didn't write any of the information down. I'll look into it now that I have it handy. When you say "torrent windows xp.iso", won't i get screwed by the whole serial-key business?

Really appreciate your help, thanks.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
N54CoupeHP
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 335is  [9.66]
Quote:
Yup, you'll love it. I looked at your pics, beautiful car. I noticed you have a manual like me, so you'll definitely benefit from the added throttle control

Rev 3 refers to the generation of hardware, and V5 pertains to the software. You'll notice that some people have slightly older versions of the hardware in their signatures, but are still running the latest V5 software. Hope that makes sense...
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I can't wait!

Yea it makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #22
diddlkiss
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E90 Lci N54

Garage List
2015 F33 435i  [0.00]
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2011 F10 535i  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 LCI 335i  [7.50]
I don't know "Step 5: Once uploaded, go to Mode 3 on the Command Center and do commands 12 thru 1 (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 in that order). "
where the command center?
Appreciate 0