E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > converting WW meth kit to trunk

05-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
amill411
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

converting WW meth kit to trunk

So I wanna run a higher % meth/water mix but I don't want to take any chances of an engine fire. I currently have the BMS WW kit and I would like to convert it to a trunk kit.

So what do I need? Just a reservoir and a check valve? Also if running 100% meth do you need steel lines? Also how the hell do you run the line from the trunk to the engine. Seems like a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Tank, Tank Tap, Tubing.

I followed the fuel lines and zip tied the meth line out of the way underneath the car. There is a robber grommet on the left side of the trunk (under the amp) to run the lines outside of the car. Keep the lines away from heat and suspension.

You can run stainless steel lines. I recommend no more then 70/30 for anyone these days.

Your kit should have a solenoid so you wont need a check valve.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

^ Hey jeff, you on aim? i actually wanna talk meth kits with you a bit...
      05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
amill411
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Tank, Tank Tap, Tubing.

I followed the fuel lines and zip tied the meth line out of the way underneath the car. There is a robber grommet on the left side of the trunk (under the amp) to run the lines outside of the car. Keep the lines away from heat and suspension.

You can run stainless steel lines. I recommend no more then 70/30 for anyone these days.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Tank, Tank Tap, Tubing.

Looks like I am also now forced to convert from the ww tank to a meths tank in the trunk. In addition to my issues with meths boiling at altitude, I just discovered the ww tank is leaking Was running a 80/20% mix for a few days and now this? I know the ww tank is made to hold wiper fluid which contains methanol, so dont understand why the components are corroding?

Have got a Procede PWM kit with the check valve, how do u recommend I install/mount everything? Is it ok to mount the pump at the same level as the tank or must it be below? Also where do u run the tubing into the engine bay, along the inside of the fender and then in, or from underneath, as I need to keep the meths temp as low as possible at my altitude?

Last edited by Baracus135i; 05-03-2012 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

if like me you are not keen on a tank taking up trunk space get one of these from advan (he is on here as user skycat). added bonus is no cutting a hole in the truck floor and a piece of piss to fill! btw the pump is located in a handy space near the cd stacker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
^ Hey jeff, you on aim? i actually wanna talk meth kits with you a bit...
Every now and then I'm on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
Looks like I am also now forced to convert from the ww tank to a meths tank in the trunk. In addition to my issues with meths boiling at altitude, I just discovered the ww tank is leaking Was running a 80/20% mix for a few days and now this? I know the ww tank is made to hold wiper fluid which contains methanol, so dont understand why the components are corroding?

Have got a Procede PWM kit with the check valve, how do u recommend I install/mount everything? Is it ok to mount the pump at the same level as the tank or must it be below? Also where do u run the tubing into the engine bay, along the inside of the fender and then in, or from underneath, as I need to keep the meths temp as low as possible at my altitude?
There is quite a large difference in corrosion between standard WW fluid 25-35% concentration and 80% concentration. This particular WW reservoir has way too many flaws to be considered recommend by so many. The cons severely out weigh the pros.

If you have a gravity fed tank the pump needs to be under the tank.

You need to use your best judgement when running lines. Once you get under the car it will be obvious where you can get away with running it and where you cant.

As I mentioned just follow the fuel lines the majority of the time or brake lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Here's how my meth tank is mounted. It's a 4 gallon ABS fuel cell.
The pump is mounted under the tank. On the 1 series the amp and battery are mounted in the center of the trunk under the carpeted mat so this is really only an option on the 1s.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
if like me you are not keen on a tank taking up trunk space get one of these from advan (he is on here as user skycat). added bonus is no cutting a hole in the truck floor and a piece of piss to fill! btw the pump is located in a handy space near the cd stacker.
When i go the Meth route, i'm gonna NEED that tank!
      05-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
When i go the Meth route, i'm gonna NEED that tank!
The only problem with that tank is price. That's like a $700-$800 tank. If you wan't to spend the money that would be a NICE setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

I had PLENTY of room in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
I had PLENTY of room in the trunk.
Any annoyances when trying to refill by placing the tank there?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I doubt it. He could high the seat release and bring it forward for easy access.
      05-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt say its the easiest place to fill up but certainly reasonable. I use a 2 quart plastic bottle fill it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #15
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

get a rubber floor mat for any spills and youll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

I'm also thinking about going trunk mount for higher concentrations of meth.

I've got vishnu's PNP system so the pump is where the PS Bracket was. Can I just run a length of hose from a tank in the trunk to the existing aquamist pump, or do I need to move the pump, or what.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Well, after all this trunkmount switching talk I'm starting to give serious consideration to switching to trunkmount now... I guess I've finally given in.

My only problem is I move locations between US and Canada and state to state in the US often and travel with a full cargo. When I say full cargo I mean car STACKED AND STUFFED. WW resovoir was so much more convenient, but maybe if I strategically mount a small tank somewhere I can make it work.

I haven't looked into this since I'm from the Canadian side, but is meth injection legal in Michigan and New york? I will be crossing those borders routinely and when I request a temporary visa I always get a full vehicle search
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

Quote:
Well, after all this trunkmount switching talk I'm starting to give serious consideration to switching to trunkmount now... I guess I've finally given in.

My only problem is I move locations between US and Canada and state to state in the US often and travel with a full cargo. When I say full cargo I mean car STACKED AND STUFFED. WW resovoir was so much more convenient, but maybe if I strategically mount a small tank somewhere I can make it work.

I haven't looked into this since I'm from the Canadian side, but is meth injection legal in Michigan and New york? I will be crossing those borders routinely and when I request a temporary visa I always get a full vehicle search
IANAL but I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. If your car is licensed/insured in canuckistan, it's bound by those regs. They can ticket/fine you maybe, but that's about it short of a court order. If you reg/insure your vehicle in 'merika you are bound by those regs.

Majority of the time the regs relate purely to emissions. I would be a lot more worried about catless DP's than methanol injection. If anyone asks it's being used as a preventative measure and a mileage booster. Lots of diesel trucks run meth to lower egt's while towing.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #19
tmo335tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335i

Hit up Howerton Engineering they make some pretty sick custom tanks to fit your needs, they have done a lot of extensive testing with different plastics and materials to make sure that meth will not eat through it. I've been running 100% meth for over a year with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #20
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Hoser View Post
IANAL but I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. If your car is licensed/insured in canuckistan, it's bound by those regs. They can ticket/fine you maybe, but that's about it short of a court order. If you reg/insure your vehicle in 'merika you are bound by those regs.

Majority of the time the regs relate purely to emissions. I would be a lot more worried about catless DP's than methanol injection. If anyone asks it's being used as a preventative measure and a mileage booster. Lots of diesel trucks run meth to lower egt's while towing.
Yeah now that I think about it, I'll just empty the tank or fill it with water and say it's cooling for long highway trips, it shouldn't be a big deal. I keep the car registered in Canada so I can keep my front tints

The sole reason I don't run fully catless is the border issue, they take my car and usually park it under their roofed area and there's a couple people behind the car while the cars running, it wouldn't be too hard for them to figure out the cars catless.

Thanks for your response!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #21
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
That tank looks ideal for what I need!

How much was it? I'm based in South Africa, so not sure if Advan would ship here?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

In order to convert the WW kit to trunk mount there are several options.

1) Is to leave the pump where it is under the hood and then just place the tank in the trunk and run the corresponding meth line, either under the car or through the cabin to meet up with it.

2) Move both the pump and trunk to the back. This will of course entail more wiring as now the pump power line needs to be moved as well. Sometimes its best to put the pump with the tank in the back so the pump sits below the tank. Can make priming and fighting air bubbles easier.

Then of course you just plug up the taps you used in the stock windshield washer line and you are set.

Mike
Appreciate 0