2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes alignment after spring install?

04-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

alignment after spring install?

I'm having my ACS springs installed next week at my dealer.

They seem to believe that an alignment should be done right away as good quality springs don't settle.

They say that every spring install they've done (Dinan, H&R etc) went with an alignment right away and never displayed any problems.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by nwills; 04-27-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

nwills,
when I installed my H&R springs I had it done by a local shop in Mississauga that mods bimmers and built a BMW track car for fun. When I asked them what they would recommend for alignment they did not hesitate to say to wait for a month to let the springs settle. Also, the guy said that it's really hard to mess the alignment of the springs on our cars since everything comes together to align close to 95% without a formal alignment. I am no mechanic so I am just qouting what he said. I did what they recommended and had no problems. Hope this helps.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

well, the consensus suggests between 48 hrs to 1 month time. Larger % of those who had done the springs (from different car forums) all agreed and suggested to let the springs settled and then do the 4-wheel alignment within that time range. The large time range may have to do with how the springs react to the car's weight as being one of the important factor. Therefore, I had previosuly suggested 1 week or so time.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
nwills
Private First Class
Rep

that's what i gathered. Everything I've read always suggests to let them settle first.

It was the first time I had anyone suggest otherwise. The dealer seems pretty adamant that good springs don't settle.

I think I'll probably take the safer route and give it a week before the alignment is done.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

I had my 550i alignment checked after spring install, and it was still within specs. After 15k miles, I've had perfectly normal tire wear all around.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

op, you getting them installed @ BMW Toronto ? I would have thought you are getting them done @ RMP or bimmersport or others

I am having my alignment done end of May.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
nwills
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead
op, you getting them installed @ BMW Toronto ? I would have thought you are getting them done @ RMP or bimmersport or others

I am having my alignment done end of May.
I had my wheels mounted and balanced at a reputable shop in Toronto. I had wobble at highway speeds so I went back. They balanced the wheels a second time and the wobble isn't entirely gone...I also have small chips on the lip of the new rear rims...but I'm not sure how it happened...although I'm pretty sure they weren't there before.

As a result I'm worried that if the spring install results in any strange behavior I can always hold BMW to take care of it and be sure that they'll stand behind their work. They probably wouldn't of let a bad wheel balancing job slip. They road test the car after a wheel install. This shop didn't. They would never scratch a rim and if they did (happened once) they have the wheels refinished.

All this makes me paranoid and I figure I'll be more confident if they do the work. I'm paying a serious premium for this but the car is two weeks old and I already have vibrations and scratched rims.

I'll let them do the spring install, re-balance the wheels (road force), 4 wheel alignment and tweak camber etc if need be to make the car smooth and perfect.

This may sound somewhat irrational on my part but I want it perfect!

So far I was quoted for the spring install and alignment:
$420/$650/$1000/$950

The two top prices came from the dealer and another tuning/dealer. The lowest price seems very low in context....I really don't want to deal with any potential issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

sounds like I was in the same position as you when I got my car. But I have not done anything mechanical yet to my car and it's already 1.5 years old. The only 2 things I want to do on mine are just KW coilovers & tune. Neither are available after the F10's been out for 2 years+ now.

If nothing is coming out by end of this summer, I will not do anything afterall as I will be shopping for my next car in spring/summer 2013.
Appreciate 0