E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clutchin' - a little OT

06-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Clutchin' - a little OT

People always say: ''Never ride the clutch, because it will prematurely wear out your engine.'' This, while true, is many times confused, as you may already know, with completely disengaging the clutch.

People also say: ''When coasting, change it to neutral and release off the clutch, it's better than completely depressing the clutch.'' I don't like this and don't really think it's that important..

Now to my point. When coming to a stop, shifting it to neutral and then back to 1st is usual practise to me, and is not what my issue is right now, but when coasting, instead of putting it to neutral and then back into gear to accelerate, I find myself completely depressing the clutch, in gear, and then releasing slowly to accelerate. I mean, some people say that this is not good, but the clutch is completely disconnected from the driveline and there's no chance of wear...So what's the issue...There is none! (to me).

So, question is, do you completely depress the clutch or do you shift to neutral when coasting...and IS there anything wrong with coasting while completely depressing the clutch?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. Explaining the 1st things at the start is in no way geared (pun intended! HA!) to insult your intelligence, it's more of an intro to my main point.

**edit** I never heard of a throwout bearing. Thank you to all that put it into perspective.

Last edited by GewoW; 06-19-2007 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Not sure what youre describing when youre coasting. Like going down a long hill and you dont need to be on the gas? Then just put it in neutral and let off the clutch.

If you mean like coasting in traffic at 10-15mph theres no reason to be in neutral either or on the clutch. You can putter around in 2nd gear and then just accelerate. I even just leave it in 2nd the whole time so I dont have to keep shifting from 1st to 2nd. Theres more than enough torque to get moving from a stop in 2nd.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Well, for going down the hill, I would completely disengage the clutch and roll while modulating brake, and then when I get down to a part where I have to continue accelerating, I would just slowly let off the cluth and continue on the same gear. Is there anything wrong with that, because to me it seems much simpler than going to neutral then back to gear...and it has become common practise.

Now for the traffic, 2nd is what I use, and I coast while completely disengaging the clutch, and if coming to a dead halt, I would either keep it in 2nd and go or shift down to 1st and go...No real need for 1st though, as you said, but just a habit.

Do you get what I'm describing?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

don't push the clutch pedal down if you don't have to

the amount of time you have that pedal pressed is directly related to how fast it wears out

coasting with the pedal pressed in does wear out your clutch and associated hydraulics
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

I always thought "riding the clutch" was holding it at the friction point too long and not letting it fully engage.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Do you get what I'm describing?
Yeah, I gotcha. I just have always been taught that holding the clutch while moving will wear parts. Whether its bunk or true, I dont know. Youre compressing springs to disengage a spinning part at speed, I cant imagine it doesnt stress those springs(or what else) longer than they need to be. Over time they will lose their strength.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
don't push the clutch pedal down if you don't have to

the amount of time you have that pedal pressed is directly related to how fast it wears out

coasting with the pedal pressed in does wear out your clutch and associated hydraulics
How can it wear out the clutch, it's completely disconnected from the driveshaft...I can understand hydraulics, but clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg516 View Post
I always thought "riding the clutch" was holding it at the friction point too long and not letting it fully engage.
Yes, it is...I'm talking about completely disengaging.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

do a google search on "throw out bearing"

when the clutch is pressed, this part is wearing out slowly

don't touch the pedal if you're not shifting

that pedal should never be depressed for more than a second or so at a time
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #9
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:

Thanks a lot. I didn't know that. I guess it's time to change my ways!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg516 View Post
That is what Riding the Clutch means, or Like riding the brakes, simply applying a bit of pressure unintentionally. Usually by resting your foot over the clutch pedal and not paying attention.

Find it sometimes on Motorcycles too, folks 'THINK' they aren't applying any pressure to the clutch lever and are complaining of a slipping clutch. I mention removing fingers from in front of the lever... Many never come back.

But yeah riding the clutch is holding it in a little or using it to hold you on a hill or something silly like that... Bad Ju-Ju.
      06-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow, sitting in traffic, at a light, etc wears the Throw out Bearing??? Keeping the clutch depressed for more than a second or so?

All news to me, Must make for an interesting driving experience.
      06-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats a little extreme. Ive been driving stick for over 15 yrs and Ill sit at a red light sometimes with my foot on the clutch and in 1st gear for maybe 20-30 seconds. Ive never had any ill effects from this. Granted the car isnt moving either so maybe theres a different wear pattern if the car is stopped and the clutch is depressed vs. cruising and the clutch is depressed.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Thats a little extreme. Ive been driving stick for over 15 yrs and Ill sit at a red light sometimes with my foot on the clutch and in 1st gear for maybe 20-30 seconds. Ive never had any ill effects from this. Granted the car isnt moving either so maybe theres a different wear pattern if the car is stopped and the clutch is depressed vs. cruising and the clutch is depressed.
He has to be talking about when moving or something... Otherwise it makes no sense. Cause all I've ever found sitting in Neutral to accomplish is being unable to get outta the way in time....
      06-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
dski69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, SG, Premium

Everytime you depress the clutch pedal, the throwout bearing puts pressure on the springs to disengage the pressure plate from the clutch plate. Coasting with the clutch pedal pressed in, or sitting at a red light with the clutch pedal pressed in will prematurely wear out the springs and throwout bearing, which means that the clutch will have to be removed. The clutch plate itself will get worn out or glazed over by slipping the clutch, which can occur when you release the clutch pedal at too high rpm's, or if you ride the clutch, wich means driving while your foot is resting on the clutch pedal. To maximize the life of your clutch and various assemblies, do not sit at a red light with the clutch pedal depressed, always shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal. Also, do not coast with the clutch pedal depressed, or ride the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
So, question is, do you completely depress the clutch or do you shift to neutral when coasting...and IS there anything wrong with coasting while completely depressing the clutch?
In my case I don't ever coast really. I leave the car in gear (first or second) until it slows almost to a stop. I don't take it out of gear until I am about to brake or already braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #16
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
So what are your tips for heavy traffic with stop-go movement? I mean, going to neutral is probably the best technique, but you're gonna have to go from 1/2 > N > 1. Then there's completely depressing the clutch while you stop and while stopped ot be able to start again quickly (in case traffic stopp momentarily)...

So I mean, I would do the neutral jig, but does anyone stay on 1st/2nd w/out neutral (only for traffic here...)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #17
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I mean, I would do the neutral jig, but does anyone stay on 1st/2nd w/out neutral (only for traffic here...)
Yes. On my daily commute stuck in traffic I basically only use 2nd. Ill stay in 2nd going so slow it might stall but I wont put the clutch in unless Im coming to a complete stop. Even then I start back in 2nd without going to first.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For heavy traffic I still put the car into neutral when coming to a stop even if I know I'll probably have to put it back into gear again in a few seconds.

But also you have to keep in mind the car will roll along just fine in 1st gear with the engine at idle RPM. That will allow you to creep very slowly. You can even press the brake and come to almost a complete stop for a second all while the car stays in gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. On my daily commute stuck in traffic I basically only use 2nd. Ill stay in 2nd going so slow it might stall but I wont put the clutch in unless Im coming to a complete stop. Even then I start back in 2nd without going to first.
Why don't you use first?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Why don't you use first?
I think because if he's in 1st, and traffic starts to pick up, or it's fast going, then he will have to upshift...but in 2nd, if tranffic is decently heavy (to a degree), he can still slow down a lot...

But I don't know. I guess I have to find the perfect balance btw 1st/2nd for traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #21
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Why don't you use first?
So I dont have to shift as much. My traffic goes from stop to 45 to stop to 45...you get the idea. If Im in 2nd, I dont need to keep shifting from 1st to 2nd. Theres enough torque in 2nd to get the car moving adequately. Just to test it, Ive started in 3rd too. There was a slight shudder but it moved along. Thanks PROcede
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #22
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
So I dont have to shift as much. My traffic goes from stop to 45 to stop to 45...you get the idea. If Im in 2nd, I dont need to keep shifting from 1st to 2nd. Theres enough torque in 2nd to get the car moving adequately. Just to test it, Ive started in 3rd too. There was a slight shudder but it moved along. Thanks PROcede
That's exactly what I was gonna say. You probably had traffic that's either/or i.e 0 to a higher speed...Here, in MTL, it goes from 0-20-10-30-0-45-etc...I mean, it's hell...So I'd have to use 1st and 2nd...not just 2nd.
Appreciate 0