E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HUHH........

06-17-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

HUHH........

Started the car, drove away, and within 2 minutes, low oil warning came on. I hit the onboard dipstick and it showed well below the MIN level....What the @#$%?? I last checked the oil 2 weeks ago and it was on MAX. Since then I drove maybe 50 miles. Three miles later, I checked again, and still below MIN. Ten miles down the road, the warning went away. Checked the dipstick, now it was about 1/4 below MAX. Anyone ever had this?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Sounds like your system just needs to be reset, unless there are obvious signs of burning or leaking oil? I'm no tech, but that's the first thing that comes to mind. Take it in as soon as possible, since it may be a serious issue, and describe the situation like you did to us...

How many miles on the odo?

And what the hell, 50 miles in 2 weeks. I hope you've been on vacation... your 3er needs some love!! Maybe she's trying to tell you via the oil indicator

edit: I just thought of something... If you did let it sit for a few weeks, especially on an angle (driveway?) the oil may have just been thicker from sitting there for a while. That makes much more sense than the computer malfunctioning. I bet everything is okay - I'd drive around another 50-100 miles and if it does it again, take it in, if not, don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #3
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
And what the hell, 50 miles in 2 weeks. I hope you've been on vacation... your 3er needs some love!! Maybe she's trying to tell you via the oil indicator
Maybe he lives in a city where everything is within 2 miles. I've had my car for just over a year now and I've only got 5,500 miles on it.
Appreciate 0