E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335i Coupe down on power??

06-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
jaqdripper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT

My 335i Coupe down on power??

Hey fellas.

I took delivery of my 335i 6-speed coupe over a month ago. For the first 1000 miles I did a "factory recommended" break-in: watching my maximum revs and varying the rpms. Throughout the break-in period I used only Shell 91 octane. Every once in a while I would dip my right foot into it just a bit, to see what it felt like when those turbos spooled up. Itnitially I was shocked by the speed by which the wave of tourque came on, and remember thinking that this was a car you could get to ludicrous speeds in very quickly. The only car I have ever driven that had more grunt on immediate tap is my father's Maserati Coupe Cambriocorsa with 395 ponies.

Once that 1001st mile passed, I started having some fun. The power and torque were fantastic, slamming you back in your seat.

Now however, the car seems not to deliver that same sort of punch - especially in 1st gear. The only thing I have changed is the addition of an octane booster along with the shell gas on every tankful.

Is it possible that the octane booster is not agreeing with the turbos? Or perhhaps there is something more wrong. 0-60 runs are taking longer (I used to race, so my shifting isn't a factor). What else could be the problem?

Thanks,

Rob
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

What kind of octane booster are you using? Some of them will leave a gummy substance on the spark plugs. You could also do a leak down test to check the compression.

More than likely though, your just used to the power, and it doesn't feel as fast anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Or perhaps you're just going crazy?

Go get it dyno'ed if you're so worried.
      06-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqdripper View Post
Hey fellas.

I took delivery of my 335i 6-speed coupe over a month ago. For the first 1000 miles I did a "factory recommended" break-in: watching my maximum revs and varying the rpms. Throughout the break-in period I used only Shell 91 octane. Every once in a while I would dip my right foot into it just a bit, to see what it felt like when those turbos spooled up. Itnitially I was shocked by the speed by which the wave of tourque came on, and remember thinking that this was a car you could get to ludicrous speeds in very quickly. The only car I have ever driven that had more grunt on immediate tap is my father's Maserati Coupe Cambriocorsa with 395 ponies.

Once that 1001st mile passed, I started having some fun. The power and torque were fantastic, slamming you back in your seat.

Now however, the car seems not to deliver that same sort of punch - especially in 1st gear. The only thing I have changed is the addition of an octane booster along with the shell gas on every tankful.

Is it possible that the octane booster is not agreeing with the turbos? Or perhhaps there is something more wrong. 0-60 runs are taking longer (I used to race, so my shifting isn't a factor). What else could be the problem?

Thanks,

Rob
The octane booster will make your car slower. There was a thread on this subject not too long ago.

Our cars are made for 91-93 Premuil Fuel...and if I'm not mistaken, any higher octane than that will cause the knock sensor to interfere causing your car te be slower....

consult this thread for more info:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=octane
      06-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

octane booster can make a stock car seem slower, because it makes the fuel harder to burn.. you only want it if you up the boost, and want to avoid pinging
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

If you were satisfied with your cars performance, why would you change what you were doing by adding the booster?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Holy cow, so much misinformation.

No, an octane booster will not "make your car slower"...........and it probably didn't actually raise the octane of the fuel any measurable amount. Any over the counter octane booster that you buy in a can will only raise the octane a couple of points at best. When I say a couple of points I mean going from 91 octane to maybe 91.3 or 91.4. It's a complete waste of money IMO. If you really want to raise the octane of your fuel, you need to mix some unleaded race gas into the tank. A 50/50 mix of 100 octane race fuel and 91 pump gas will give you a 95.5 octane in the tank. THIS WILL NOT MAKE YOUR CAR SLOWER!!! More than likely it will make the car faster if the DME has been pulling timing due to knock.

I think you are experiencing a classic case of getting used to the power. For example: I bought a new kawasaki ZX6R 6 months ago. The thing was scary fast........I mean take my breath away fast for the first couple of months. Now I run it to redline through a couple of gears and it feels slow because I'm used to it. I really though something was wrong with the bike, until I pulled away from my buddies GSXR 750.

If you really think it's down on power, take it to a dyno!
      06-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Adding octane booster to cars that experience no detonation is plain dumb, just a waste of your precious dollars... or euros.. or whatever.
      06-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
DCJAX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
octane booster can make a stock car seem slower, because it makes the fuel harder to burn.. you only want it if you up the boost, and want to avoid pinging

+1, increasing your octane above the designed level won't net any gain, it might have even have a very slight powerloss (.1hp maybe). A stock car should not be knocking, so it is just a waste of money.

plus I question the quality of that stuff. It must be full of junk that might cause the ECU to change some things around.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Get the PROcede and it will never feel slow ever again. All kidding aside, it's probably just b/c you're just used to it now.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

It is getting really hot here(115+),even w/procede starting to feel slow =(
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Hot Air = Less Density = Less Power. Won't effect Boosted vehicles as much as N/A vehicles, but it still has an effect.

Most likely you just got used to it. Go hop in a Buddies car drive it around for a few miles, THEN get back in your 335. All will be well.

We adjust to speed fairly quickly, get used to just how nice the interior is etc. Go drive an Integra for 30 minutes or so and you'll see just how nice your car is when you get back.
      06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Hey fellas.

Thanks,

Rob

Happaned to my car too..........right before the fuel pump dies. Hope that is not the case for you........
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
eshoukry93
e92 Arrived 5/12
Rep
Drives: e92 BS 335i

That's funny because I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing, but I think it's because I'm getting used to the power like others have suggested.

I just returned an e90 325 loaner car (which felt incredibly slow), so I'll give mine the juice again and see if it still feels fast.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #15
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshoukry93 View Post
That's funny because I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing, but I think it's because I'm getting used to the power like others have suggested.

I just returned an e90 325 loaner car (which felt incredibly slow), so I'll give mine the juice again and see if it still feels fast.
Funny, b/c when I drove a stock 335i as a loaner for a day, it felt slow right after dropping off my PROcede 335i...it's a matter of perspective.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Getting used to the speed! I did, even with Procede. I put the car in the garage and have been driving my corolla to work the last 2 days. I am sure it will feel like a monster again when I park the corolla tonight through the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #17
jaqdripper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT

Thanks for the responses, guys

Maybe I am just getting used to the power. Wish I had timed a 0-60 launch before experiencing this subjective sense of power loss.

Do any of you guys know of a good place in LA to have the car dynoed?

R
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #18
BJG1968
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan.

Mine has just passed the 1200 mile break in, and mine feels like just the opposite. I did the recomended break in 95% of the time although I did have to put a WRX in his place at 600 miles. Seems to pull a little harder and smoother now. Let the higher revs begin. Probably like everyone else has mentioned you're just getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Hot Air = Less Density = Less Power. Won't effect Boosted vehicles as much as N/A vehicles, but it still has an effect.
Actualy FI motors are effected more than NA motors. Hot air or thin air (high altitude) will hurt a FI motor much more than an NA motor.

Ask someone who owns a FI car that lives in Colorado or Nevada and I'm sure they can tell you all about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #20
BJG1968
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan.

I traded a 03 M3 with SMG in on my 335 sedan, the elevation where I live is around 4900 ft. I would bet my house on it that my 335 would take the M3 in Colorado. At sea level not sure, never drove it out of the state. Figure at least a 3% loss in actual horse power for every thousand feet.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting used to the power. Wish I had timed a 0-60 launch before experiencing this subjective sense of power loss.

Do any of you guys know of a good place in LA to have the car dynoed?

R
The octane booster will definetly make the car feel slower and i am also willing to bet that your gas mileage is suffering...There is no reason for added octane without added air or spark...Just stick to what the owners manual says unless you start heavily modding and the additional octane is necessary.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #22
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

I would be really interested in seeing some proof that higher octane will cut power...there is no mechanical reason in the world for that. Octane is a measure of the gas' resistance to detonation. The higher the octane the less chance of detonation. The knock sensor will not sense detonation so it will allow timing to go to full advance and mixture to go full lean thereby allowing the car to make its max hp. Lower octane will force the computer to cut those parameters back and thus reduce hp.

Octane booster, on the other hand, is a really bad idea. I had a 300zx twin turbo with a chip and high boost. I put octane booster in a few times but the performance kept getting worse and worse. I finally pulled the plugs and they were coated with a slime film. Changed the plugs and voila...all was well.

Do not use Octane booster. If you are really interested in upping your octane then try some of the Union 76 Unleaded Race Gas that can be found some places. At $7-8 per gallon it is not cheap.

In LA, there used to be a place in Northridge called LA Performance Depot (LAPD) that had a dyno. I don't know if they are still there or not, but you should check them out.
Appreciate 0