E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ACT organic clutch installed on 335i

03-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

ACT organic clutch installed on 335i

Hi all,

I'd like to share a few comments after installing my new clutch on my car.

The stock car started slipping a few months ago. First on map 2 and meth and then on map 1 without meth. At the beginning it was not very noticeable at all until the last month. When I was flooring it on 2nd or 3rd, revs were climbing by 1500-2000 before acceleration started. But when the clutch and flywheel were getting warmer, the slipping dissipated. It looked OK until I made a few pulls with my friend (FBO no meth) and pulled only 1/2 car away from 60 to 260 kph.

A friend of mine gave me a slightly used ACT pressure plate so I bought a 6-puck disk to make the swap. Fortunately, I bought a new set of pressure plate and organic disk. The 6-puck on my friend's car is not driver-friendly. You need to rev the engine up to 1800 rpm to move the car on cold start and makes a rubbing metal noise when it engages. It might sustain more torque than the organic but I don't use my car only for street-racing as he does.

Anyway, after purchasing all the components needed (pivot bearing, throw-out bearing, bearing bracket, aluminum screws -can be used only once after gearbox is removed- and pressure plate screws) I drove to a local shop to perform the swap.

It took around 5 hours to complete the swap. It needs a lot of time to remove the exhaust, the underpanels, the gearbox, to clean the flywheel and put back the transmission.

Here are some pictures:

Throw-out bearing on the clamp:

The flywheel. It's in good condition so no resurfacing was needed. And yes, it has 6 screws so I can fit a 1M flywheel in the future:

The ACT pressure plate:

Comparison of the old stock clutch disk and the new ACT organic disk:

The clutch disk and the pressure plate installed:

My stock pressure plate (up) vs my friend's used ACT pressure plate (down). As you can see, the stock pressure plate was destroyed due to slipping (black marks):

The stock pressure plate springs are burnt to death. The small springs make the pressure plate self adjusting (will explain later):

Stock pressure plate vs used ACT:

Impressions: The very first time you get in the car the clutch feels awful. What a bad impression. The clutch pedal is excellent. It's a matter of time before you get used to it. After 1 hr of driving the clutch feels normal. No, it doesn't get easier to push, your left foot gets used to it. After that I drove my mom's E46 and I almost ribbed off the clutch pedal lol.

The pedal feels like normal for the first 50% of the pressing distance, then it gets harder to push. ACT claims it is 30% harder, I would say 50-60% harder.

Engaging is very smooth and feels stock. Engagement point is 5-10 mm from the floor mat compared to stock on which engages 20-30 mm from the mat. No clutch stop is needed. No harsh engagement at all.

All sports cars should feel like this.

I've done 100 kms with the new setup, need to perform some more urban driving the next days. After get 1000 km on the odometer I'll start flooring it.

Many thanks to Jeff@topgearsolutions for purchasing the clutch disk. You cannot find people so cooperative and so communicative. I wish every vendors/sellers were like him. He shipped the clutch the very next day and I got it 5 days later.

Thank you Jeff.

Edit: you might also find another review here from tscdennab: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650301
      03-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Damn, I forgot it. The small springs on the stock pressure plate make it self-adjusting. Which means that the force needed to push the clutch pedal is the same all the time. ACT clutch disk is old-school and doesn't utilize those springs. That's why the clutch pedal feels softer at the beginning and then it gets harder
      03-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Nice review, when the time comes I'll be going ACT. Without a doubt I'll also be ordering from jeff@topgearsolutions
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

I don't get it.. is it for AT or MT?

If it's for AT then how would you feel the clutch engagement?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

ATs, steptronic or DCT don't have clutch pedals lol.

This thread is for MTs only.ATs are a different philosophy...
      03-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1991 View Post

wow.......just wow.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Well done. Thanks for the kind words, glad I could help you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1991 View Post

Haven't had such a good laugh in a long long time. Some people...you really wonder how they're even able to dress in the morning, let alone drive a car.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #9
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

I assume the man read it as AT organic clutch ...
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
I'd like to share a few comments after installing my new clutch on my car.
The pedal feels like normal for the first 50% of the pressing distance, then it gets harder to push. ACT claims it is 30% harder, I would say 50-60% harder.

Engaging is very smooth and feels stock. Engagement point is 5-10 mm from the floor mat compared to stock on which engages 20-30 mm from the mat. No clutch stop is needed. No harsh engagement at all.
I've had mine on for over 1500 miles now, and I agree with your impressions; the pedal resistance was much higher than I anticipated but you get used to it, and the engagement is significantly lower than stock.

However, are you noticing any chatter/shudder on engagement? You stated "no harsh engagement", so maybe not. I had significant shuddering on engaging 1st when it was breaking in. The only way to be perfectly smooth was to very gradually let the pedal out without giving any gas at all. It has gotten better over time, but there is still some non-stock chatter on engagement.

ACT said this can be normal, so I did not worry too much about it, but if you id not experience it at all, then it does concern me somewhat. I had mine installed by a respected BMW shop. At first I thought it might have been that the stock DM flywheel was worn/damaged, but the installer claims it did not show signs of needing resurfacing or replacement. I assume since you don't mention it that you did not do anything to the flywheel and are on the stock DM one?

I'm glad to hear that you think the 6-puck is not DD friendly...I was second guessing my decision to go with the organic street disc since the torque rating, albeit conservative, is considerably less than where I will be at in a couple of months when I go FBO/tune
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
However, are you noticing any chatter/shudder on engagement? You stated "no harsh engagement", so maybe not. I had significant shuddering on engaging 1st when it was breaking in. The only way to be perfectly smooth was to very gradually let the pedal out without giving any gas at all. It has gotten better over time, but there is still some non-stock chatter on engagement.

ACT said this can be normal, so I did not worry too much about it, but if you id not experience it at all, then it does concern me somewhat. I had mine installed by a respected BMW shop. At first I thought it might have been that the stock DM flywheel was worn/damaged, but the installer claims it did not show signs of needing resurfacing or replacement. I assume since you don't mention it that you did not do anything to the flywheel and are on the stock DM one?
I don't have the ACT clutch, but a ClutchMasters FX300 one and have the same shudder on engagement. It got a bit better after some break-in (I've done 1500 km with it so far), but is still noticeable in particular during slow manoeuvering (e.g. parking the car). I replaced the flywheel (with another OEM one) so it's not connected to that - it seems at least to me that this is normal for some clutches.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      03-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've had mine on for over 1500 miles now, and I agree with your impressions; the pedal resistance was much higher than I anticipated but you get used to it, and the engagement is significantly lower than stock.

I'm glad to hear that you think the 6-puck is not DD friendly...I was second guessing my decision to go with the organic street disc since the torque rating, albeit conservative, is considerably less than where I will be at in a couple of months when I go FBO/tune
My clutch disk has almost 1/30 of your driven distance. So far, there is absolutely no chatter or shudder during engagement. It feels exactly like the stock, except for the clutch pedal stiffens.

A few questions:

-- Did you change the throw-out bearing as well as the bearing clamp?

-- Has the installer lubricated the clutch disk spline as well as the gearbox primary axle housing? This is an aluminum cone around the gearbox aluminum primary axle (the axle with the spline). The throw-out bearing moves along that cone up and down during engagement/disengagement.

I'm with the stock DM flywheel, is was not damaged at all, only the stock disk was worn out from NLS shifting and it couldn't handle the extra FBO+meth power.

The 6-puck disk is not driver friendly. You can hear a sound from my friend's car like a metal click or like hammering a piece of iron. In the future, I'm planning for a turbo upgrade. I'm sure the organic disk will not be able to handle that power output but it is OK for now. It is the best choice if you are planning to getting FBO+meth
      03-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I don't have the ACT clutch, but a ClutchMasters FX300 one and have the same shudder on engagement. It got a bit better after some break-in (I've done 1500 km with it so far), but is still noticeable in particular during slow manoeuvering (e.g. parking the car). I replaced the flywheel (with another OEM one) so it's not connected to that - it seems at least to me that this is normal for some clutches.

Alpina_B3_Lux

Thanks for sharing, FX300 was the next option along with HPF feramic clutch but it was expensive for the time being.

Has the FX300 organic disk or is it composite/ceramic compound?
      03-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It feels exactly like the stock, except for the clutch pedal stiffens.

-- Did you change the throw-out bearing as well as the bearing clamp?

-- Has the installer lubricated the clutch disk spline as well as the gearbox primary axle housing? This is an aluminum cone around the gearbox aluminum primary axle (the axle with the spline). The throw-out bearing moves along that cone up and down during engagement/disengagement.
Yes, they replaced the bearings and the clamp, but I have no idea about the lubrication. I'm starting to think it was either a defective disc or (more likely) the flywheel had some wear and the installer forgot to check it. At any rate, the impact is negligible at this point so I wasn't planning on trying to have them open everything up considering how long it took them with my X-drive. The effect seems to have mostly gone away with time, so perhaps the surfaces just needed to burn in/mate as ACT said may be the case. It doesn't make me feel any better, however, to hear that you basically did the same thing on almost the same car and had no chatter from day 1.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

For your 2000 miles you should have breaked in your disk. It's very difficult to have a defective clutch disk since all products are under quality control from companies like ACT.

It is quite difficult removing the tranny on a xi and not cost-worthy.

In my opinion, flywheel surface has nothing to do with the noise. If the surface was damaged, the new disk would slip. It sounds like lubrication noise but can't tell for sure. I wish I could help someway
      03-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just returned from a short ride. I tried to make the clutch disk chutter by any means. I tried releasing the clutch pedal on first gear without revving the engine until the engine stopped. No chatter at all.

I rember form the stock clutch that there was some chatter when I was shutting off the engine without pressing the clutch pedal. That was because of the worn trow-out bearing.

Everything looks fine with my new clutch
      03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In my opinion, flywheel surface has nothing to do with the noise. If the surface was damaged, the new disk would slip. It sounds like lubrication noise but can't tell for sure. I wish I could help someway
It's not a noise, it's a tactile sensation, a feeling. The car vibrates or "shudders" during clutch engagement. It was very pronounced before, now it is minor but still noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
It's not a noise, it's a tactile sensation, a feeling. The car vibrates or "shudders" during clutch engagement. It was very pronounced before, now it is minor but still noticeable.
It happens only in low situations right?
SOLD - '22 Tesla M3P | '10 E92 335i M, 6MT | '07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, FBO, HFS4
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #19
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
It happens only in low situations right?
Yes, only when engaging first gear or reverse from a stop
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Yes, only when engaging first gear or reverse from a stop
I have your same problems except it only happens in reverse. in first gear it's very hard to do. Now it got much better even though I only have a 100 miles on it.

I replaced everything including the flywheel btw. I'll talk with my shop tomorrow to see what they come up with. Everyone is telling to give it some time... we'll see I guess. I hate it when I get weird issues especially after having paid around 2400$ for parts+install
SOLD - '22 Tesla M3P | '10 E92 335i M, 6MT | '07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, FBO, HFS4

Last edited by marv85; 03-26-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
I have your same problems only in reverse. in first gear it's very hard to do. Now it got much better even though I only have a 100 miles on it.

I replaced everything including the flywheel btw. I'll talk with my shop tomorrow to see what they come up with. Everyone is telling to give it some time... we'll see I guess. I hate it when I get weird issues especially after having paid around 2400$ for parts+install
I called tech support at ACT when I had about 500 miles and they told me it was normal and that I should wait until I had over 1000 miles and then call again if the problem persisted. It has gotten much better now though, so was thinking it was OK, but the OP made me concerned again since he never experienced it at all. Maybe it's just one of those things that varies with each install

I feel you on the price...not a cheap job on these cars

Sorry if we hijacked your thread stratos!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Thanks for sharing, FX300 was the next option along with HPF feramic clutch but it was expensive for the time being.

Has the FX300 organic disk or is it composite/ceramic compound?
The FX300 is a kevlar disc.

Alpina_B3_Lux