E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lemon Car

06-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, Black + Navi

Lemon Car

Hi All -

I'm relatively new to the country and obviously inexperienced in buying cars.
I bought a 2006 330i last year, like a naive buyer... and it turns out it was a manufacturer buy back. It was repaired and sold to me. Hence a lemon title.

I've driven it for 17,000 miles, and its had NO problems at all. Nobody will buy it hence it has no resale value, am I right?

What can I do ? I want to get rid of it. Eventhough I love it. But it is a lemon.

Argh.

A 6 year investment to waste....help.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Sorry to hear man, but I have no idea on how to proceed. I hope someone else does.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had no idea that buying a car that was a buyback would show up on the title.

Why not just keep it.
      06-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdub View Post
Hi All -

I bought a 2006 330i last year, like a naive buyer... and it turns out it was a manufacturer buy back. It was repaired and sold to me. Hence a lemon title.

I've driven it for 17,000 miles, and its had NO problems at all. Nobody will buy it hence it has no resale value, am I right?

What can I do ? I want to get rid of it. Eventhough I love it. But it is a lemon.

Argh.

Does the title say it was a Manufacturer buyback ?? Did the dealer inform you of that, in writing ?? If not, I would definitely consult a lawyer - the dealer misrepresented the car. You probably overpaid as well.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

MD
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All -

Argh.

When u purschase that car.. does the dealership tell u it was a Repair car? 1st of all Lemon car. Dealership cant sell it back.. it is considering a total lost to the dealership. they can get fine for selling a lemon car to people. wat state do u live. u can do research about it on ur state.. type lemon law for automible. If your car still cover under warranty and there is no broken part. u should not be worry too much.. it is wrong for dealership to sell u a lemon car
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
I had no idea that buying a car that was a buyback would show up on the title.

Why not just keep it.
Yeah well why not keep it? Because, when I bought the car, I thought it would retain its resale value pretty good, of course, being a lemon its worth alot less... or I think atleast. Its been working just fine for the past year though.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
When u purschase that car.. does the dealership tell u it was a Repair car? 1st of all Lemon car. Dealership cant sell it back.. it is considering a total lost to the dealership. they can get fine for selling a lemon car to people. wat state do u live. u can do research about it on ur state.. type lemon law for automible. If your car still cover under warranty and there is no broken part. u should not be worry too much.. it is wrong for dealership to sell u a lemon car
Yeah they told me it was a BUY BACK, however I just thought it to be a routine procedure to fix a broken car. I did not know of a LEMON law, where my car isn't worth much since it has that on the carfax. Only reason I'm worried is cos of its plummeted resale value I guess.

WHat do you think the value would be? its worked fine since I've got it, and I've put 17000 miles on it too.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah well why not keep it? Because, when I bought the car, I thought it would retain its resale value pretty good, of course, being a lemon its worth alot less... or I think atleast. Its been working just fine for the past year though.
So again, why not just keep it since you will take a big hit on it anyways.
      06-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah they told me it was a BUY BACK, however I just thought it to be a routine procedure to fix a broken car. I did not know of a LEMON law, where my car isn't worth much since it has that on the carfax. Only reason I'm worried is cos of its plummeted resale value I guess.

WHat do you think the value would be? its worked fine since I've got it, and I've put 17000 miles on it too.
you must excercise ur lemon law in CONN state.. do more research.. each of the state have different inpretation of it.. so read it .. print it out.. n fight for it... by the way.. go call the bmwusa.com their customer relation and start bitchin.. tell them that i was not inform that car was a lemon... i m not happy at all.. tell them.... trust me.. they will help u out .. cause dealership will get the most hit for selling lemon car from the BMW...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All -

Argh.

this might help u out

CHAPTER 743f* USED AUTOMOBILE WARRANTIES

*See also chapter 743b (Sec. 42-179 et seq.) re new automobile warranties. See also chapter 743g (Sec. 42-227 et seq.) re automobile manufacturers' warranty adjustment programs. Used automobile warranties act cited. 31 CA 634, 635.

Sec. 42-220. Definitions.

As used in sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive:

(1) "Dealer" means any person, firm or corporation licensed pursuant to section 14-52, as a new car dealer or a used car dealer, as defined in section 14-51, or any person, firm or corporation licensed pursuant to section 14-15 which engages in the business of selling a used motor vehicle to a consumer;

(2) "Motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle, as defined in section 14-1;

(3) "Used motor vehicle" means a used or secondhand motor vehicle, as defined in section 14-1;

(4) "Cash purchase price" means all amounts charged for the purchase of a motor vehicle, including the value of a trade-in vehicle, except a finance charge; and

(5) "Consumer" means the purchaser, other than for purposes of resale, of a used motor vehicle normally used for personal, family or household purposes, and the spouse or child of the purchaser if such motor vehicle is transferred to the spouse or child during the duration of any warranty applicable to such motor vehicle, and any other person entitled by the terms of such warranty to enforce the obligations of the warranty. "Consumer" does not mean the lessee of a motor vehicle or the spouse, child or other family member of the lessee who, pursuant to a lease contract option, purchases such vehicle at the end of the lease term.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 1; P.A. 92-20, S. 1, 2; P.A. 95-121, S. 1, 2; P.A. 04-199, S. 15; 04-217, S. 34.)

History: P.A. 92-20 amended Subdiv. (5) to provide the term "consumer" does not include the lessee of a motor vehicle who, pursuant to a lease contract option, purchases such vehicle at the end of the lease term; P.A. 95-121 redefined "dealer" to include any person, firm or corporation licensed pursuant to section 14-15 which engages in the business of selling a used motor vehicle to a consumer, and redefined "consumer" to specifically exclude the spouse, child or other family member of the lessee who, pursuant to a lease contract option, purchases such vehicle at the end of the lease term, effective July 1, 1995; P.A. 04-199, effective July 1, 2004, and P.A. 04-217, effective January 1, 2005, both amended Subdivs. (2) and (3) to eliminate reference to Sec. 14-1(30) and (62), respectively.

Cited. 31 CA 634, 641.

Sec. 42-221. Implied warranties. Express warranties. Exemptions. Waiver.

(a) A dealer selling a used motor vehicle which has a cash purchase price of three thousand dollars or more shall not exclude, modify, disclaim or limit implied warranties on the motor vehicle.

(b) Each contract entered into by a dealer for the sale to a consumer of a used motor vehicle which has a cash purchase price of three thousand dollars or more but less than five thousand dollars, shall include an express warranty, covering the full cost of both parts and labor, that the vehicle is mechanically operational and sound and will remain so for at least thirty days or one thousand five hundred miles of operation, whichever period ends first, in the absence of damage resulting from an automobile accident or from misuse of the vehicle by the consumer. Each contract entered into by a dealer for the sale of a used motor vehicle which has a cash purchase price of five thousand dollars or more shall include an express warranty, covering the full cost of both parts and labor, that the vehicle is mechanically operational and sound and will remain so for at least sixty days or three thousand miles of operation, whichever period ends first, in the absence of damage resulting from an automobile accident or from misuse of the vehicle by the consumer. A dealer may not limit a warranty covered by this section by the use of such phrases as "fifty-fifty", "labor only", "drive train only", or other words attempting to disclaim his responsibility.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (1) The sale of a used motor vehicle having a cash purchase price of less than three thousand dollars; (2) the sale of such motor vehicles between dealers; or (3) the sale of a used motor vehicle which is seven years of age or older, which age shall be calculated from the first day in January of the designated model year of such vehicle.

(d) The consumer may waive a warranty required pursuant to this section only as to a particular defect in the vehicle which the dealer has disclosed to the consumer as being defective. No such waiver shall be effective unless such waiver: (1) Is in writing; (2) is conspicuous, as defined in subdivision (10) of section 42a-1-201 and is in plain language; (3) identifies the particular disclosed defect in the vehicle for which such warranty is to be waived; (4) states what warranty, if any, shall apply to such disclosed defect; and (5) is signed by both the customer and the dealer prior to sale.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 2.) Subsec. (b): Cited. 31 CA 634, 635.

Sec. 42-222. Effect of notification of breach of warranty during warranty period.

A dealer shall honor any warranty required by sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive, notwithstanding the fact that the warranty period has expired, provided the consumer notifies the dealer of a claimed breach of the warranty within the warranty period specified in subsection (b) of section 42-221.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 3.)

Sec. 42-223. Extensions of warranty period. Voidable agreements.

(a) The term of any warranty required under the provisions of sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive, shall be extended by any time period during which the used motor vehicle is in the possession of the dealer or his duly authorized agent for the purpose of repairing the used motor vehicle under the terms and obligations of said warranty.

(b) The term of any such warranty shall be extended by any time during which repair services are not available to the consumer because of a war, invasion or strike, fire, flood or other natural disaster.

(c) Any agreement entered into by a consumer for the purchase of a used motor vehicle which waives, limits or disclaims the rights set forth in sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive, except as provided in subsection (d) of section 42-221, shall be voidable at the option of the consumer. If a dealer fails to provide a written warranty as required by said sections, the dealer shall be deemed to have given said warranty.

(d) Nothing in sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive, shall in any way limit the rights or remedies which are otherwise available to a consumer under any other law.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 4.)

Sec. 42-224. "As is" sales. Disclaimer.

(a) A used motor vehicle may be sold "as is" by a dealer only if its cash purchase price is less than three thousand dollars or if such used motor vehicle is seven years of age or older, which age shall be calculated from the first day in January of the designated model year of such vehicle.

(b) No "as is" disclaimer by a dealer shall be enforceable unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) A disclaimer shall appear on the front page of the contract of sale, which shall read as follows:

"AS IS"
THIS VEHICLE IS SOLD "AS IS".
THIS MEANS THAT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR IMPLIED WARRANTIES.
YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR ANY REPAIRS NEEDED AFTER SALE.
IF WE HAVE MADE ANY PROMISES TO YOU,
THE LAW SAYS WE MUST KEEP THEM, EVEN IF WE SELL "AS IS".
TO PROTECT YOURSELF, ASK US TO PUT ALL PROMISES INTO WRITING.

(2) The text of the disclaimer shall be printed in twelve-point boldface type, except the heading shall be in sixteen-point extra boldface type. The entire notice shall be boxed. (3) The consumer shall indicate his assent to the disclaimer by signing his name within the box containing the disclaimer.

(c) An "as is" sale of a used motor vehicle waives implied warranties but shall not waive any express warranties, whether oral or written, which may have been made nor shall it affect the dealer's responsibility for any representations which may have been made, whether oral or written, upon which the buyer relied in entering into the transaction.

(d) Nothing in sections 42-220 to 42-226, inclusive, shall be construed to limit the effect of any other requirements of law or of any representations on a certificate of title that the vehicle is in suitable condition for legal operation on the highways of this state.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 5.)

Sec. 42-225. Deceptive statements. Motor vehicle declared constructive total loss. Disclosure required. Promise to repair.

(a) No dealer may make any false, misleading or deceptive statements about the condition or history of any used motor vehicle offered for sale.

(b) No dealer shall fail to disclose to a consumer in a contract for the sale of a used motor vehicle that such vehicle has been declared a constructive total loss, as defined in section 38a-353, if: (1) The certificate of title of such vehicle is stamped "totalled", "salvaged" or with a comparable designation; (2) the bill of sale of such vehicle states such vehicle has been declared a constructive total loss, as defined in section 38a-353; or (3) such dealer has been notified by (A) the seller of such vehicle or (B) the lender holding title to such vehicle that such vehicle has been declared a constructive total loss as defined in section 38a-353.

(c) If a dealer promises that any repairs will be made or any conditions corrected in connection with the purchase of a used motor vehicle, he shall list such repairs in writing, attach a copy of such list to the contract and incorporate such list into the contract.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 6; P.A. 93-397, S. 1.) History: P.A. 93-397 inserted new Subsec. (b) requiring dealers to disclose to a customer if a motor vehicle has been declared a constructive total loss, relettering former Subsec. (b) as (c). Subsec. (a): Cited. 33 CA 575, 588.

Sec. 42-226. Independent inspection.

No dealer may refuse any consumer the opportunity to have an independent inspection of any used motor vehicle offered for sale. If the consumer requests an inspection it shall be conducted by a person chosen by the consumer, but the dealer may establish reasonable conditions regarding the place, time and extent of the inspection.

(P.A. 87-393, S. 7.)

Sec. 42-226a. Penalty.

Any dealer who violates any of the provisions of sections 42-221 to 42-226, inclusive, shall be subject to the penalties provided in section 14-64.

(P.A. 93-397, S. 3.)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All -

Argh.

New Car Lemon Law Program

Tel: 860-713-6120 or 1-800-538-CARS

For Consumers: The Lemon Law Dispute Settlement Program

For Vehicle Dealers: The Lemon Law Surcharge Program on the sale of new passenger motor vehicles and motorcycles

The Lemon Law: C.G.S. Chapter 743b New Automobile Warranties

Lemon Law Regulations

they might help u out
also this one might help u out
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
New Car Lemon Law Program

Tel: 860-713-6120 or 1-800-538-CARS

For Consumers: The Lemon Law Dispute Settlement Program

For Vehicle Dealers: The Lemon Law Surcharge Program on the sale of new passenger motor vehicles and motorcycles

The Lemon Law: C.G.S. Chapter 743b New Automobile Warranties

Lemon Law Regulations

they might help u out
also this one might help u out

Thanks I'll definitely call them today and see what happens.

Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #13
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

So they told you it was a buy-back? However, you're now upset because you're realizing that it isn't worth as much because of that? I don't think it's the dealers responsibility to tell you what your car will be worth once you drive it off the lot.

Seems to me the dealer did their due diligence and you didn't do yours.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
So they told you it was a buy-back? However, you're now upset because you're realizing that it isn't worth as much because of that? I don't think it's the dealers responsibility to tell you what your car will be worth once you drive it off the lot.

Seems to me the dealer did their due diligence and you didn't do yours.
i'm glad you asked. He told me it was a buyback. But I did not know that meant it was a 'lemon'. If he said, oh its a lemon... I'd be like whats that? and inquire more.

Obviously, I used all due diligence that I thought necessary. As a NEW buyer/someone who hasn't lived in this country long enough, I did not know that dealers are ALLOWED to sell BROKEN cars. Why be allowed to sell them at all. Period. There should be a law against it.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #15
BMXtreme
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E60 535i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about this....I once got conned too when I first came to the states not knowing about Salvage, Lemon etc...and bought a salvage vehicle Luckily it was not a bimmer, and since then, I shopped carefully and would preferably go to an authorize dealer for the car I want to purchase. I will either consider a brand new or at least a certified preowned since a Lemon/Salvage won't be elligible for a CPO. Did u get yours from a BMW dealership?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXtreme View Post
Sorry to hear about this....I once got conned too when I first came to the states not knowing about Salvage, Lemon etc...and bought a salvage vehicle Luckily it was not a bimmer, and since then, I shopped carefully and would preferably go to an authorize dealer for the car I want to purchase. I will either consider a brand new or at least a certified preowned since a Lemon/Salvage won't be elligible for a CPO. Did u get yours from a BMW dealership?
No I did not, I guess thats where I went wrong. I just feel like if a car has a defective past, even though its been fixed, they should never re-sell it.

Its ridiculous to think I didn't use my due diligence tho, why would I want to pay top dollars for a broken car.

Thanks for all who are giving me feedback,.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #17
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

If you plan on trading in your car in several years, I don't think it will matter. Dealers do not run car faxes on trade-ins and it doesn't have a salvage title. I only think there would be an issue if a private party ran a CarFax report. Don't worry about it. I am sure the car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

first thing i see is the car IS NOT A LEMON... its a buy back.

the car is listed on carfax as a buy back... which kinda equals lemon,salvage,major damage,etc.

the op was mislead at the dealership and prob charged a higher then fair value. unfortunately this is your mistake for not understanding things this is why people hate dealerships hence stealership. its more common for people to be mislead then other at dealerships.

i doubt you have any recourse the only shot and its a long shot is contacted BMWNA.

again your car is not a lemon its a buy back... lemon laws dont apply.

gl

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
first thing i see is the car IS NOT A LEMON... its a buy back.

the car is listed on carfax as a buy back... which kinda equals lemon,salvage,major damage,etc.

the op was mislead at the dealership and prob charged a higher then fair value. unfortunately this is your mistake for not understanding things this is why people hate dealerships hence stealership. its more common for people to be mislead then other at dealerships.

i doubt you have any recourse the only shot and its a long shot is contacted BMWNA.

again your car is not a lemon its a buy back... lemon laws dont apply.

gl

ppp

Infact it is listed as a lemon on carfax as well, and you're right its my mistake I did not understand things, however there should be laws in place to protect consumers like me, eventhough we might be a small percentage, who did not even know really what a lemon was when buying the car. From my perspective, I was thinking "why would a dealership or even BMW let a car be re-sold thats been broken"

Any whoo, unlucky me.

Thanks Guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #20
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
however there should be laws in place to protect consumers like me, eventhough we might be a small percentage, who did not even know really what a lemon was when buying the car.
caveat emptor is an age-old saying. I do not believe it is the purpose of laws to protect people from themselves although Darwin probably would have something to say.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:24 PM   #21
bmdub
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
caveat emptor is an age-old saying. I do not believe it is the purpose of laws to protect people from themselves although Darwin probably would have something to say.
Plato once said.. "No law or ordinance is mightier than understanding."

Common sense sometimes is the best law. I did not know about the law. Period.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #22
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

In your signed paperwork when you purchased the car, is there something
that says the car was a buyback and explains what that is in plain english?
Did the dealer sell the car to you as if it was new or as CPO? How much did
you pay for the car and how does that compare with a new one or a CPO?
Did they reveal to you the nature of the defect(s) in the car or the reasons
why it is a buyback?
Appreciate 0