F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Changing songs from steering wheel
Extreme Powerhouse

03-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
dpjfilmmaker
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan Alpine White

Changing songs from steering wheel

Long time lurker, 1st post Love these forums!

Just leased a new 2012 328i Standard Alpine White/Black Leatherette w/Tech/BMW Apps/BMW Assist. My 3rd 328i sedan and i love it.

Is there a way to go to the next song from the steering wheel controls. Can't find how to do that. Was able to on my last 2009 328i sedan with the arrow rocker button.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjfilmmaker View Post

Just leased a new 2012 328i Standard Alpine White/Black Leatherette w/Tech/BMW Apps/BMW Assist. My 3rd 328i sedan and i love it.

Is there a way to go to the next song from the steering wheel controls. Can't find how to do that. Was able to on my last 2009 328i sedan with the arrow rocker button.

Thanks!
use the toggle wheel on the right side and it displays on the dash(bewteen the guages) and probably in the hud
      03-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
dpjfilmmaker
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sedan Alpine White

Thanks, Justin. Tried that. i'm able to change radio stations and scroll through songs, but not simply advance to the next song randomly by pushing the up or down arrow on th steering wheel on my 2009. Is there a way to do that? dos that make sense?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
danarcher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30, 1984 325e E30

Garage List
1984 BMW 325e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjfilmmaker

Thanks!
When you scroll on the slider wheel on the steering wheel, you see it on the HUD. You'll see (depending on the source of the content) arrows to go back or forth, radio station presets, etc. it's pretty awesome.
      03-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
npgatech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

One thing I couldn't do is as follows. I was playing a song through my iPhone connected with a y-cable. I used the right-hand side scroll wheel on the steering wheel and I could scroll to a song in the same album. Is there anyway to go up a folder or artist, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic Artist View Post
One thing I couldn't do is as follows. I was playing a song through my iPhone connected with a y-cable. I used the right-hand side scroll wheel on the steering wheel and I could scroll to a song in the same album. Is there anyway to go up a folder or artist, etc.?
no, not throught the steering wheel controls
      03-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
Ashbmw
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 xdrive

Garage List
does audio stream work with paired iphone?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
KnarF30
Rep
Drives: F30 Grau

Folks, apologies for the necro-bump and yes, search button has been patroned to no avail.

I have a 2012 F30 328i, sportline with Enhanced Bluetooth, no nav.

When streaming via BT, I simply cannot change OR view the next (or previous) track from the scroll wheel on the R right of the steering wheel.

* When playing a CD, I can roll the scroll wheel to display subsequent songs and when I find the right one, I press the scroller and voila.

* When playing the radio, the scroller can be used to surf/select stations.

* When streaming via BT, the scroll wheel does absolutely nothing EXCEPT quickly display which track I'm playing on the dash's LCD readout. It refuses to scroll through my playlist, advance, do a tap dance or anything else.

Am I missing something? Frustrating as I'm streaming music 90% of the time I'm in the car.

When asked, the uber helpful SA at my dealership just smiled at me.....then his head exploded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnarF30 View Post
Folks, apologies for the necro-bump and yes, search button has been patroned to no avail.

I have a 2012 F30 328i, sportline with Enhanced Bluetooth, no nav.

When streaming via BT, I simply cannot change OR view the next (or previous) track from the scroll wheel on the R right of the steering wheel.

* When playing a CD, I can roll the scroll wheel to display subsequent songs and when I find the right one, I press the scroller and voila.

* When playing the radio, the scroller can be used to surf/select stations.

* When streaming via BT, the scroll wheel does absolutely nothing EXCEPT quickly display which track I'm playing on the dash's LCD readout. It refuses to scroll through my playlist, advance, do a tap dance or anything else.

Am I missing something? Frustrating as I'm streaming music 90% of the time I'm in the car.

When asked, the uber helpful SA at my dealership just smiled at me.....then his head exploded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
For me, when streaming over BT, I cannot see the next tracks, but scrolling the wheel up and down goes to two arrows that look like < and >. Those will move to the next track and previous track. Same functions as the < > buttons on the dash, but requires a scroll and click instead of just a button press. Hope that works for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Is there a way to move to the next RANDOM song, using the controls on the wheel? It used to be possible on the E90, I can't figure it out on the F30 wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
ww-evo
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Same problem here, 2013 335 with enhanced Bluetooth and can't do something as simple as advancing to the next song over Bluetooth using the steering wheel controls. My sister's $20k Mazda3 can do it, older 3-series can do it, why can't my 2013 335?

When I use the scroll wheel with Bluetooth streaming it shows me the current song title and no other options with wheeling up or down. With my phone plugged into the USB port I can scroll through song titles (alphabetically) but I'd rather just have forward and back since I usually have playback on random.

There's got to be a way to accomplish this simple task. Especially when we pay good money for Bluetooth streaming when that is standard equipment on something like a Mazda3.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww-evo View Post
Same problem here, 2013 335 with enhanced Bluetooth and can't do something as simple as advancing to the next song over Bluetooth using the steering wheel controls. My sister's $20k Mazda3 can do it, older 3-series can do it, why can't my 2013 335?

When I use the scroll wheel with Bluetooth streaming it shows me the current song title and no other options with wheeling up or down. With my phone plugged into the USB port I can scroll through song titles (alphabetically) but I'd rather just have forward and back since I usually have playback on random.

There's got to be a way to accomplish this simple task. Especially when we pay good money for Bluetooth streaming when that is standard equipment on something like a Mazda3.
The F30 has never supported next/prev from the wheel controls, regardless of audio source.

Not sure if you have CIC or NBT, but I definitely see fully browsable track lists and metadata (meaning track lists in the HUD/kombi, but also browsable in the console) with iDrive 4.2+bluetooth.

This appears to include album art over bluetooth now as well, so I suspect that they have fully working inter-operative AVRCP 1.4. You also need a phone that fully supports AVRCP 1.4 otherwise there won't be anything for iDrive to list (1.3 can give you metadata but not browsing). Needless to say, you can't have anything in the HUD/kombi track list if it's not being made available by the phone.

Last edited by JesseS; 09-04-2013 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
ww-evo
Rep

Thanks for the confirmation Jesse.

Someone over at BMW has to have noticed by now that this new design (wheel vs arrows) has a major flaw. Why can't they fix it? You wheel up it should give you an arrow to go back and then an alphabetic list backwards, you wheel down it should give you a forward arrow then the alphabetic list forward.

The system does work better through USB (roller on stearing wheel works alphabetically), but still lacks imo compared to much cheaper vehicles. Seems like a big problem when we spend BMW money and envy anything on a Mazda3 that cost less than 1/2 what we paid. Oh, and my mom's minivan also has better stearing wheel controls, that's shameful too.

Anyone know if this joke runs through the higher ranks of the BMW lineup too?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
The F30 has never supported next/prev from the wheel controls, regardless of audio source.

Not sure if you have CIC or NBT, but I definitely see fully browsable track lists and metadata (meaning track lists in the HUD/kombi, but also browsable in the console) with iDrive 4.2+bluetooth.

This appears to include album art over bluetooth now as well, so I suspect that they have fully working inter-operative AVRCP 1.4. You also need a phone that fully supports AVRCP 1.4 otherwise there won't be anything for iDrive to list (1.3 can give you metadata but not browsing). Needless to say, you can't have anything in the HUD/kombi track list if it's not being made available by the phone.
when streaming music from my GSIII over BT I have a next/previous option on my wheel controls
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #15
ww-evo
Rep

That's interesting scarecrow, I'll have to have someone with an android device hook up to my car and see if that works better than my iPhone5. All my other comments apply to iOS devices.
Maybe it's apple with their heads up their arses. Interesting though, the forward/back buttons on actual radio will do what I want, seems like BMW should be able to map those buttons to the steering wheel controls even if it is an apple problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

2013 f30 and I see the arrows in the HUD when using Bluetooth to advance to next or previous song in playlist. Are you playing a playlist? Also, there are hard buttons on the dash and a big idrive button you can smash if you are desperate and the steering wheel buttons don't work for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
when streaming music from my GSIII over BT I have a next/previous option on my wheel controls
You're right, you do get Next/Prev on the wheel if you use a non-apple device.

I wasn't aware of this until now but what they've done is:

When using an apple device, they actually pre-randomize the tracklist. So the list you see when using the scroll wheel is random (assuming you have random turned on), and all you need do is scroll down one track and press to go to the next random song. Rather ingenious because you can know what's next before even hitting play.

If you are running an app that doesn't provide a track listing then you get the next/prev options. I hadn't seen that before, but I never use Random and very rarely use audio apps aside from the standard iOS player.

Last edited by JesseS; 09-04-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
KnarF30
Rep
Drives: F30 Grau

Thanks for the responses guys. Pretty obvious that it's all clear as mud now.

Quote:

I'm not sure I follow your 1st sentence as My wife's E90 328 works like a charm. How does one find out about CIC or NBT and idrive ver? If I'm on an old version, is this something I can update myself?

Quote:
When using an apple device, they actually pre-randomize the tracklist. So the list you see when using the scroll wheel is random (assuming you have random turned on), and all you need do is scroll down one track and press to go to the next random song. Rather ingenious because you can know what's next before even hitting play.
I wish this was the case. the ONLY thing that happens when i press my scroll wheel is my current song is displayed. No matter how I press, scroll, roll, squeeze, stab that scroll wheel, it refuses to do anything other than display the current song.

Last edited by KnarF30; 09-04-2013 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I wish this was the case. the ONLY thing that happens when i press my scroll wheel is my current song is displayed. No matter how I press, scroll, roll, squeeze, stab that scroll wheel, it refuses to do anything other than display the current song.
Are you using an Apple device? If I am using my iPod on a plane and then plug it into my car it continues the song where I left off. It does not, however, allow me to use the scroll wheel to view other songs in the playlist I played the song from (when it was NOT connected to the car). If I select a playlist from iDrive and play a song, then I can view the playlist through the scroll wheel. Even after a week of not turning on the car or whatever.

iDrive must not populate the "playlist" after you've already selected it. Most of the time my iPod stays in my car at all times and I never have issues. Occasionally it will get stuck on the wrong album art but that's like once per 30 songs so I couldn't care less. Other than that, the iPod integration with this car is superb.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys. Pretty obvious that it's all clear as mud now.

I'm not sure I follow your 1st sentence as My wife's E90 328 works like a charm. How does one find out about CIC or NBT and idrive ver? If I'm on an old version, is this something I can update myself?
Unless it was retrofitted I think all E90s were CCC which predates CIC even and is outside the scope of my knowledge.

NBT is the replacement for CIC and for the F30s it landed between the later part of 2012 and right now (depending on specific model and where in the world you live). If you live in the US and have a 3-series other than an AH3 then you almost certainly have a CIC unless you just got the car. It's probably possible to retrofit in the future but it will be far from cheap.

More important than the hardware in this case though is probably iDrive 4.2 (which unfortunately won't be available for older hardware so in that sense it does matter). iDrive 4.2 has been appearing in various models at various times and it has recently finally landed everywhere. Everything from this point forward is NBT w/ iDrive 4.2 (until the next NBT [NNBT?]).

Quote:
Right. That's what I was getting at. In iDrive 4.2 they appear to have significantly improved the bluetooth stack or at least made it actually interoperable but if you have a CIC head unit then you don't have 4.2.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
You're right, you do get Next/Prev on the wheel if you use a non-apple device.

I wasn't aware of this until now but what they've done is:

If you are running an app that doesn't provide a track listing then you get the next/prev options. I hadn't seen that before, but I never use Random and very rarely use audio apps aside from the standard iOS player.
Apparently I don't have this behavior.

When I select a playlist, then pick random via iDrive, and begin play the steering wheel button scrolls through the playlist in order. Making matters worse, when I pick a song via the scroll wheel random is turned off. I am using an iPhone 4s.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

It doesn't seem to be an Apple thing. I have a sandisk USB drive as one source, and a good old CD as another. On both, I have Random turned on. The only way I can move to the next Random song seems to be using the arrow buttons on the dash. Nothing on the wheel for that, though my E90 had it. Am I missing something?