BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Gunmetal Painted 1M Wheels (on BSM) - Round 2

So, I ended up trading my wheels with Rusty Racer (you may remember my previously painted wheels). Well, truth be told...they look MUCH better on his car. I loved the color, but they had a slight "blueish-gray hue" to them, and it looks way better on VO than it does on BSM. I think the BSM needs more of a pure gray tone, than anything else...especially if you're going for a gunmetal wheel.

So, here's the finished product. Despite these crappy iPhone pictures, I think they look GREAT! They have quite a bit of flop to them, so they look very silver metallic in the sunlight, and at night or at dusk they look darker. This color is a total winner in my opinion, but I realize not everyone is going to like them...a lot of people like the stock rims. I just thought the contrast was a bit too much for my taste. Anyway, here they are...let me know your thoughts.

This is what they look like in darker conditions:

This is more what they look like in better lit conditions:

This is showing what it looks like in "DARK" light conditions:

You can sort of get the idea of what these look like with a bit more light. They look amazing in the light, since it really shows off that silver metallic!!

[/url]
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

They indeed look great.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Looks great. I'm going this direction as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Looks good, better than the 1st round.

Was that painted or poweder coated?
      03-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
So, I ended up trading my wheels with Rusty Racer (you may remember my previously painted wheels). Well, truth be told...they look MUCH better on his car. I loved the color, but they had a slight "blueish-gray hue" to them, and it looks way better on VO than it does on BSM. I think the BSM needs more of a pure gray tone, than anything else...especially if you're going for a gunmetal wheel.

So, here's the finished product. Despite these crappy iPhone pictures, I think they look GREAT! They have quite a bit of flop to them, so they look very silver metallic in the sunlight, and at night or at dusk they look darker. This color is a total winner in my opinion, but I realize not everyone is going to like them...a lot of people like the stock rims. I just thought the contrast was a bit too much for my taste. Anyway, here they are...let me know your thoughts.

This is what they look like in darker conditions:

This is more what they look like in better lit conditions:

This is showing what it looks like in "DARK" light conditions:

You can sort of get the idea of what these look like with a bit more light. They look amazing in the light, since it really shows off that silver metallic!!

[/url]
You need to brake harder are more often... Rust.. ;-)

The paint look great. Would love that on my AW 1M!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Dude, the gunmetal wheels look GREAT on BSM
I've been thinking of doing this myself ever since I got gunmetal M3 rims for my winter wheels

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
You need to brake harder are more often... Rust.. ;-)

The paint look great. Would love that on my AW 1M!
haha I was waiting for someone to say that. well, this is the first time I could take it out in over a month. I had a complete meniscus transplant, along with 3 cartilage graphs on my left knee. Right now, i can't drive the car...it took everything I had to pull it back, take some pictures and pull it back into the garage. To top it off, my knee isn't responding very well to the surgery, so I will have to have a manipulation surgery in a couple of weeks (not fun, and very painful). So...braking hard...is the least of my worries right now. BUT, when I'm walking again, I'll definitely be breaking harder I can't wait to drive my car again....the pain....and the pain from not driving...are both killing me right now!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
haha I was waiting for someone to say that. well, this is the first time I could take it out in over a month. I had a complete meniscus transplant, along with 3 cartilage graphs on my left knee. Right now, i can't drive the car...it took everything I had to pull it back, take some pictures and pull it back into the garage. To top it off, my knee isn't responding very well to the surgery, so I will have to have a manipulation surgery in a couple of weeks (not fun, and very painful). So...braking hard...is the least of my worries right now. BUT, when I'm walking again, I'll definitely be breaking harder I can't wait to drive my car again....the pain....and the pain from not driving...are both killing me right now!
great rim color! get well soon: your brakes miss you already!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Quote:

Good luck with that dude^^^^^^^^^I have had 3 operations on my knees and was told i need a partial transplant 10 years ago but decided to try another route after the last bout in 2009... as a DD the ONLY reason i ended up buying a 135 with paddle shifters was because of my knees....luckily i have enjoyed the paddle/auto very very much as traffic and BS on NJ roads is crazy...indeed i do miss rowing through the gears and as my knees have gotton better from rest and vitamins... the next car possibly may be a MT again if the knees stay healthy..
      03-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I think a gun metal spoked wheel like this looks great.. loving my hyper black Apex wheels, which are a dark silver, with black barrels
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
For starters, hope you get better soon. And pain you say, just have some extra of your own handle, I'm sure you have plenty stashed

Wheels looks fab, I always preferred gunmetal over black wheels, way to go!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Hope for a quick recovery! That car needs to be taken out in the air often. ;-) Its a crazy car and I have just driven it on winter tires with spikes so far... Summer tires on Monday. Cant wait... ;-) Again hope you recover soon! The 1M needs you! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Get well soon ! Your 1M is lusting for being driven by you.
      03-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Looks pretty badass I must say!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330e/F25 X3

Beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Just discovered this thread as I'm considering something like this myself.

Couldn't find what colour grey you had them?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Just discovered this thread as I'm considering something like this myself.

Couldn't find what colour grey you had them?
i had a local shop custom paint them in the same fashion like that of the Lexus ISF wheels pictured below:

It is actually a two-step, two-paint process. i picked a very dark gray color, then picked a lighter silver paint for a light top coat. up close, you can barely notice that there are two different paints on the wheel, and it takes a very steady hand to get this process correct. BUT, it causes a drastic flop in sunlight. it looks like a metallic wheel in direct sun, and in dimmer light it appears like a dark gun metal (almost black) wheel. i have to say, i'm extremely happy with the results! it's hard to take pictures of, but tried my best above.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #18
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Must say it comes out very well. Not a fan of black wheels, especially on a black car but this looks very tidy!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Really like this color for our 1M wheels

Just a matter of finding the right guy for the job and i'm all for it.

Once my winter wheels are back on the car offcourse
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

i will get the colors codes and paint vendor information if you'd like? let me email my paint shop. again, the real trick comes with the application and finish with this type of job. it's not as simple as a regular paint. i would also highly suggest getting some type of cilajet or some other type of protectant on the wheel if you're going through all of the trouble (others have been mentioned as well). cleaning is simple, whereas before...it was a real PITA with the stock paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
i will get the colors codes and paint vendor information if you'd like? let me email my paint shop. again, the real trick comes with the application and finish with this type of job. it's not as simple as a regular paint. i would also highly suggest getting some type of cilajet or some other type of protectant on the wheel if you're going through all of the trouble (others have been mentioned as well). cleaning is simple, whereas before...it was a real PITA with the stock paint.
Yes please then i'll see if they can reproduce those colors overhere
unless they are universal colorbatches...then it should be easy to make.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
FantaM
Banned
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: BMW FANTA 1M Coupe

Nice wheel colour..
Appreciate 0